Author Topic: New standard for renewable energy battery storage installations  (Read 4201 times)

Offline RFburns

New standard for renewable energy battery storage installations
« on: October 24, 2019, 01:29:23 am »
http://www.batterysafetyguide.com.au/

New standard for renewable energy battery storage installations
AS/NZS 5139 Electrical installations—Safety of battery systems for use with power conversion equipment outlines safety requirements for installation of renewable energy battery storage equipment.
The Electrical Safety Office investigated a fire in a battery installation in a home in December 2018 that caused significant damage. The battery installation was of poor design and there have been other fires in battery systems throughout Australia. While such fires are not epidemic in Australia, they highlight a need for consistent application of requirements for battery storage installations.
Designers and installers in Queensland have a duty under the Electrical Safety Act 2002 to ensure their battery storage installs are, as far as is reasonably practicable, electrically safe. As such the information in AS/NZS 5139 should be considered immediately for new battery storage installations. This standard should be read in conjunction with other relevant standards including AS/NZS 3000 wiring rules, AS/NZS 4777 series for grid connect systems or AS/NZS 4509 series for standalone systems. AS/NZS 5139 will be referenced in AS/NZS 3000 in due course.
This new standard provides:
•   requirements for safe installation of battery systems connected to power conversion equipment (inverters) for the supply of power to an electrical installation
•   a risk-based process to ensure appropriate installation methods are applied depending on identified hazards
•   requirements for grid connected inverter energy system and standalone power system installations
•   requirements if the battery system is constructed on site and used in conjunction with an inverter
•   requirements if the battery system is a pre-assembled integrated battery energy storage system (BESS) (e.g. a pre-built battery and inverter integrated in one equipment enclosure)
•   requirements if the battery system is pre-assembled battery system equipment (BS) (e.g. a self-contained pre-built battery box to be connected to an inverter)
•   a substantial number of informative components so that the level of knowledge and understanding in this new field of technology and its application is increased.
Designers and installers should consider using a pre-assembled integrated battery energy storage system (BESS) and pre-assembled battery system equipment (BS) that are shown to comply with the Best Practice Guide: battery storage equipment – electrical safety requirements, V1.0 2018. The installation requirements in AS/NZS 5139 are streamlined for equipment that complies with the guide. Independent evidence of battery equipment complying with the guide could be a certificate from an Australian accredited certifier or be on an industry association listing such as the CEC approved batteries list.

Get With It ,Get Over It , Get On With It ...Or Leave

Cheap and reliable wont be fast.
Cheap and fast wont be reliable.
Reliable and fast wont be cheap.

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
Re: New standard for renewable energy battery storage installations
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 03:14:13 am »
It appears that making Standards Australia into a commercial enterprise hasn't done much good.
The requirement to make a profit means that they just keep on writing new standards then the poor sod working on stuff has to get their heads around hundreds of pages of gobblygook.
I have had a few occasions where I needed to get a ruling on what the standard meant. I had a couple of rather warm discussions with electrical inspectors when I was still an electrical contractor.
The upshot was that is it almost impossible to get Standards Australia to tell you what the rule actually means.
The supply authorities just interpret the rules their own way, then try to fine contractors for non compliance. Some of their so called interpretations are just ludicrous.
The more standards that are written the more the minefield will grow.
It would be much better if the government made standards writing a department that was tasked with writing clear concise instructions and guidelines on best practice.
Sorry if that was a rant but making money by printing more crazy standards gets on my goat.
Pete

Offline RFburns

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 06:05:20 am »
Hi Pete, yes i agree 100%! but standards are written for lawyers not people doing the actual work!
Get With It ,Get Over It , Get On With It ...Or Leave

Cheap and reliable wont be fast.
Cheap and fast wont be reliable.
Reliable and fast wont be cheap.

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 04:33:58 pm »
Hi RF, it is weird isn't it. The people doing the work have to read and work to the standards, but as you say they are written for lawyers.
We have to sign off to say that our work complies with all the relevant standards, but the Authorities can't even tell us what the standards mean.
I asked the Standards Committee to make a ruling on one problem I was having with the supply authority.
Apparently there are 40 people from around Australia on that committee and they could not agree on what the clause actually meant.
So I never got an answer to my question and request for a ruling.
It was only when I went to talk to the chief inspector in our state that I was told that the committee could not decide on what the clause meant.
Makes it very lucrative for lawyers doesn't it.
Hard for those of us who have to comply.
Cheers
Pete

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 04:43:05 pm »
Whats worse is we allow it to happen,  and there never seems to be any opportunity for say from ether the voting public or even from the professionals it affects... how csn this be changed

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:26:47 pm »
Hello Noneya, well as far as changing it goes, I have no idea. As long as our governments think it is  a great idea to keep on privatising everything so that their mates can make a profit we are stuffed.
I actually decided to leave the trade after a couple of arguments over AS3000 with our supply authority.
It was not worth the hassles to me. Their very strange interpretations of the rules could have cost me and quite a few other sparkies that I knew everything we had.
I had much more fun working on my own as a handyman after giving up my contractors licence.
Unfortunately many of the current crop of electrical inspectors do not know how the rules evolved. They only knew the last couple of books and when I pointed them back to the more comprehensive 1987 rule book they just went blank.
After the 1987 book the powers that be decided to delete the specifics of the rules and leave them open to interpretation. That made our job very difficult.
I guess my quitting being a contractor was my one man fight to change the system.
cheers
Pete

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 05:37:16 pm »
Pete, thats actually really sad to hear... losing good engineers because of profit for some bureaucratic BS.. What happened to this place, its turning more into a mini America everyday, where money / big business is in charge...

Offline Warpspeed

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 11:34:30 pm »
Yes its pretty grim.

I am sure if you do a search there will be an Australian standard for how to correctly and safely sharpen a pencil.

The standard will probably be about 150 pages and cost you several hundred dollars unfortunately.

These days I close the blinds and turn out the light before doing absolutely anything.