Project Journals > Steve

Truck DC system

(1/6) > >>

MadScientist267:
Construction has officially begun!

There's a lot of things in the works, but this one is the only one that's made it to the fabrication stage so far.

It's not much to look at yet, but represents a starting point. 80A links for the classic, grid, and alternator sources, and a 175A master. The disconnect is rated 300A.

Also to go on this board is a disconnect for the classic, as well as the shunt for the WhizBang Jr (on order).

The bus bar is 1/2" type L copper pipe beaten into submission, and the substrate is 1/2 Corian countertop. It was chosen because of an outstanding response to a propane torch. It very slowly erodes, doesn't emit any fumes, and is pretty strong.

There's an additional layer of Corian below the main layer with wells drilled to accept the heads of the bolts (which yes, are a bit on the long side, I wasn't sure if I was going to need to stand anything off more than it is... they will be replaced soon with more appropriate lengths.)

This will be mounted on a board that holds the inverter, grid charger, and classic, as well as the microinverter that will be used to drive the main lighting.

More as it comes...

Steve

oztules:
Everything starts somewhere..... and at least your starting at the safety end....... something I sometimes forget until it is too late.

.................oztules

Norm:
Speaking of bus bars .....the ones at work were 3 parallel ones each ones 1-1/2 inch thick by 10 inches wide and 8 ft long each cell ( about 50 in series got about 6 volts
and 80? amps on occasion on a hot muggy day sweaty head band on cap and forehead accidentally bumped your head on one if you forgot to duck in your head was projected a dark cave with a bunch of fireflies as you sat on your butt and looked around .....and wondered wha hoppen ?
quiet an experience ! Happened to quiet  a few
DC ...that is .
Norm

MadScientist267:

--- Quote from: oztules on August 26, 2014, 03:42:44 am ---Everything starts somewhere..... and at least your starting at the safety end....... something I sometimes forget until it is too late.

.................oztules

--- End quote ---

I'm guilty of it too. It's easy to do when you're working out how functionality needs to come together. Things just kinda end up "sticking". In the van, this was the case more often than not, and while I managed to get some of the more obvious points covered, I'm a bit skittish to look at what I pull back apart. I'm sure I'm going to find a few things I really don't want to know about. It's bad enough with the things I'm already aware of hahaha :-X

Steve

MadScientist267:
The more-or-less completed ground bus and + distribution panels...

There's still some bolt trimming to do, but next step is putting it up on the actual power board and making up the cables.

Till then...

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version