Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Renewable Energy Q&A

Capacitive battery charging

(1/3) > >>

noneyabussiness:
http://www.johnsavesenergy.com/CapacitiveBatteryCharger.html#.WbZUnHSubqB

Just asking the pros on here there opinion? ?

I like the desulfation bit...

solarnewbee:
What I came away with is attentiveness is a key caution here. I like the desulph too. Those caps are about $4 at my HVAC supplier I might give it a try. I'm sure if you charge a battery bank connected to an inverter that it will shut down from over voltage. Could just shut off the inverter til charging is done, off grid just sit in the dark til done ha. I know my car charger won't even start if the battery is below a certain point which is irritating so Out comes the float charger.

My 2 bits good luck

MadScientist267:
I'm gonna go with "Great ACADEMIC demonstration of capacitance and AC"...

Then add "very dangerous on more than one level"... Non isolated, completely unregulated, just for starters.

Then there's the horrific power factor aspect of it (particularly amusing since the "up next" link at the end of the article is "Power Factor").  ::)

This is not even mentioning both ridiculous claims on the page and "one dimensional" measurement type stuff going on.

Please people, be careful with what you find out there.

Normally I just overlook stuff like this but that whole page has the potential to be extremely dangerous, especially to newcomers that may not understand the level of respect line sourced non-isolated circuitry demands.

In a nutshell, "don't do it".

Steve

bj:
  Well put Steve

eidolon:
Hey, I once started a car with a toaster and it made breakfast. Even if you are skirting all safety concerns, put a bleed resistor on the caps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version