Author Topic: Solar News  (Read 10623 times)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Re: Solar News
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2021, 07:39:15 am »
Researchers at ETH Zurich and Empa have chemically modified wood and made it more compressible, turning it into a mini-?generator. When compressed, it generates an electrical voltage. Such wood could serve as a biosensor or as a building material that harvests energy.

https://electrek.co/2021/03/15/these-researchers-in-switzerland-can-get-electricity-from-wood/
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Rectenna Harvests Electromagnetic Energy From 5G Signals
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2021, 08:46:27 am »
In a world-first, a team of researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology has developed a small, 3D-printed rectifying antenna that can harvest electromagnetic energy from 5G signals and use it to power devices, in a way turning 5G networks into "a wireless power grid," according to a press release by the university.

https://interestingengineering.com/rectenna-harvests-electromagnetic-energy-from-5g-signals
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline lighthunter

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2021, 06:27:08 pm »
the whole 5G thing is kinda scary, think about it, 4G already
does everything needed and i dont think its consumer
demand driving the 5G plans. So who is shoveling the
money into this and why?  Wireless power cannot help but
disrupt ecology. Are we so clueless as to not realize there
are things like red blood cells that contain iron which is responsive to magnetic fields? Not to mention plenty of other
Natural processes that are sensitive to emf.
LH

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2021, 11:42:13 pm »
I don't think that any of the so called upgrades of mobile phone networks are customer driven.
Many years ago I had an analog Motorola brick phone. It picked up signal and worked at my home which was 45 kilometres out of town.
Then along came CDMA which was supposed to be a big improvement, well my range dropped to about 25 kilometres from a tower.
Then Digital same range fell off massively again.
Then 3g, 4G range is down again
Now 5G well where I live it is totally academic, we do not have anywhere near enough people for the providers to bother with a tower near us so it is 4 g and that is it.
Seems to me that as more and more people get addicted to their phones the phone providers will keep the updates coming to sell them more phones and more products. The internet already struggles with all the people watching TV programs and Streaming. Basically when the internet falls over the world will stop. Oh what a lovely day that will be.
Pete

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2021, 03:45:09 am »
    Interesting read Woof,  and thanks for that.
    I don't think I buy into it,  but thanks for the share.
   bj
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2021, 04:12:56 pm »
I can't see how it could work really. If too many people used the 5G network to run their devices then the network would be overloaded and crash.
Then there is the legal issues. Would it be classified as stealing power.
Many years ago I read of people putting large coils under high voltage powerlines to act as a transformer and steal power.
They were fined. Not sure now how much power they managed to get from their air cored transformers but they got fined and had to pull their coils apart. I think the same would happen with any attempt to get power from a phone network.
Pete