Author Topic: Just got my new 48v/15kw powerjack  (Read 7376 times)

Offline dochubert

• 11 powerjacks, 9 that run, 3 actually used daily
Just got my new 48v/15kw powerjack
« on: December 10, 2019, 08:57:23 pm »

Hi All,
Received my new dual lcd powerjack 15kw a few days ago.  It was a few days before I got it ready to test.  I pulled the top and was pleased to find nothing loose or broken from shipping.  Did a temporary hookup and no-load test to make sure it wasn't going to blow first try.  Worked fine.  Ran it about an hour.  Ran fine. No problems.  Load test to come soon.

8411-0

I did notice in my visual inspection that one of the output side heatsinks has scorch marks on it.  They must have blown this one up once at the factory.  Hope its not a bad sign.

I'll get some inside pics up soon.
We're all going to DIE!  (eventually)

USA = Communist former republic
---  dochubert --

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
Re: Just got my new 48v/15kw powerjack
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 03:29:48 pm »
Hi Doc, sounds a bit suspect that the factory would blow their own inverter up, then repair them and send them out.
Maybe someone slipped when testing it. Still one would think they would have cleaned up the heatsink at least.
It will be interesting to hear how it tests out.
Pete

Offline dochubert

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 05:06:24 pm »

Hi Pete,
I've wondered also about which inverters are allowed to be auctioned off, usually much cheaper than regular price. Probably the ones that blew up once or twice before they got some good parts in there. (I would have at least cleaned the heatsink).  I only buy when I can get them cheap at an auction, but this is what I get.  Usually they're fine.  Hope this one is too.  It's definitely the heaviest I've had.

---  dochubert --

Offline dochubert

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 03:57:24 pm »
Hi and Merry Christmas!

Had a little time so thought I would post some pics of the inside.

8421-0

It's got 2 mainboards.  Twice the fets.  Hope that's a good thing.  With the load split between them maybe each one will run cooler?  It's that big honking transformer in the middle that's gonna get hot.  The 3 fans are high speed fans and boy are they loud!  I really think the old models with 3 smaller transformers in parallel was a better design for heat transfer.  Probably its cheaper for powerjack to put 1 big one in rather than 3 or even 2 smaller transformers in a unit.
Note the metal straps holding the xfmr down.  Those have to go, as well as the bolt, plate and rubber insulators on top and bottom of the xfmr.  I know from my experience with the little 15kw clone inverter that this xfmr won't be able to stay cool enough without better airflow.  So off come the brackets, etc.

8423-1

The xfmr rating is not what I'm used to either.  This one is 30v to 260v whereas all my older ones are 32v to 230v.  Considering that the mainboard typically puts out 34.5-35 volts (I'm assuming this one to be the same), the raw xfmr output should be well above 260v!  I realize its easier for a control board to pull down a high voltage than push up a low voltage, but this seems a bit over the top.  Since powerjack is supposed to be winding their own xfmrs nowadays I would think they would keep the numbers closer to the desired levels.  Must be other considerations...

8425-28427-3

Notice those scorch marks!  Some fets definitely cooked on these boards.  Hopefully they load tested the current set before sending it to me.  I have yet to put a load on it myself.  I have to do mods before moving this heavy sucker to its permanent mounting place as it will be on a shelf about 5 feet up and hard to work on in that spot.  I only want to move it there once!

Next I'll be putting some spacers under the xfmr and adding a fan on top for improved airflow and heat transfer

---  dochubert --

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 06:45:53 pm »
Hi Doc, just wondering how hard you intend to run the inverter? All that work changing things to get better cooling would suggest that you have some pretty serious loads that you are putting on it.
You must have a pretty big battery bank to run that thing.
Looks a bit chaotic inside doesn't it, strange that they didn't bother to brush off the burn marks before sending it to you.
Was it a freebie? or did they charge more for the carbon.
Have a great new year
Pete

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 11:20:19 pm »
Hey Doc,

I have a 24v like that and one heatsink always got real hot running on the first main board in line but fans never kicked in. The temp sensor was on the second heatsink. I switch the sensor over for peace of mind. Man do those cooling fans scream. I replaced the one controlled by the control board with another 24v pc fan and put the low cfm fan next to the coil in case it came on and the board insisted on seeing a tach signal.

Heavy beast ain’t she! I may sell mine and get the 48v version.

Enjoy!
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline dochubert

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 11:43:29 am »
Hi Pete and Solarnewbee,

It does seem chaotic inside this unit.  Wiring to 2 mainboards I guess.  Also the input-outpur board usually attached to the control board is mounted on the front panel just behind the lcd screens instead.  Lots of relatively long wire runs because of the layout.
  My battery bank is (16) 200ah sla batteries, 4 sets of 4 for 48v.  In spring, summer and fall I usually run the whole house on my inverter 24/7.  Normally that's only 800-1000 watts with occasional well pump (1500w) and/or microwave (1100w) here and there.  Plenty of solar now to keep the batteries up.  When my wife decides to use the oven it kicks my total up to 4500w or so jumping to 6000w when the well pump also kicks in (for a short while).  That's about the max it ever gets.  I haven't tried running the electric dryer on it so don't know what it draws.  She hangs clothes out in good weather by choice.
Anyway, improved heat transfer takes some time and work, but should extend the life and reliability of the unit. 

Solarnewbee, if one board runs hotter than the other, to me that means the load isn't being shared equally.  Not the best situation.  I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just disconnect one mainboard, leaving the second as a built in spare.  That way when it eventually blows up (they all do), a few minutes rewiring to the spare and a new lf driver board on the control board, and you are back online.  The question is whether it will run with one mainboard or is something in the control board expecting both to be there?  No idea.  I will be watching temperature on both my mainboards to see if mine share load equally or not.  Also of possible note,\; The ten lead ribbon from mainboard to control board is short for one mainboard and very long for the other.  Wonder if that has something to do with poor load sharing?  Maybe try a long ribbon in place of the shorter and see if the heat load is more balanced?

I'm probably going to change the transformer fan to a lower speed (more quiet) fan and control it separately from the other 2.  Also there will be an added fan on top of the xfmr blowing down into the middle that runs continuously.  The mainboard fans will probably be rewired in series making them run at half speed and much more quiet.  Keeping the mainboards cool shouldn't be a problem with independent controls insuring the fans come on at the right temp.  I've learned never to trust powerjack's fan controls.  Usually they don't turn on fans until things are way hot.

---  dochubert --

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 01:19:57 am »
Hi Doc, just wondering if the fans could be controlled from one of those button type temperature switches. Seems pretty simple to bolt one to the heatsink and run the fans off that, or to get a temperature controller to run the fans.
I have  some temperature controller boards that I got from ebay that have a digital display of temperature and an onboard relay. The temperature the relay comes in at is adjustable. I use on on my car as an over temperature alarm. ( i have had two cylinder heads destroyed over the years from an engine overheating).
I use another to monitor my solar hot water tank temperature. The boards are really cheap, only about $6 from memory.
Pete

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 01:23:18 am »
Hi Doc these are the controllers I use, there are other ones that run of mains that may be more suitable for your inverter as these are 12 volt.
I have used these controllers to turn fans on in Power Star W7 inverters too, they seem to work fine.
Have a great new year
Pete

[https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-2pcs-W1209-Digital-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Board-DC-12V-50-110-C/153512072802?hash=item23be085662:g:bx0AAOSwk8xc9N4c]

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 12:25:40 pm »
If you put a low value resistor in series with the fan output, you can have a 2 speed fan system.  Sort of low speed (aka quiet) for 90% of the time, high speed when  it working....

I have this setup on one of my inverters with the w1209 and it works a treat..

Offline dochubert

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 03:54:42 pm »
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the link.  Yours are almost like the ones I use, also from ebay.  They show the current temp plus the hi and low setpoints.
I've been using these temp controllers for years on all my inverters, including my gridtie units, to run fans.  Great minds think alike, eh?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-10A-Digital-LED-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Control-Switch-Probe/262904072432?epid=584518137&hash=item3d364dc8f0:g:xGEAAOSwsW9Y0QEZ

And I use the resistor/2 speed setup on some of them also.  Thanks noneyabussiness.  Another great mind!

---  dochubert --

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 11:40:03 pm »
Hey doc,

My 2 main power board fans are controlled by a snap sensor that resembles a to-220 transistor just bolted to the heatsink. I don’t remember the Celsius setting on it but it turns on quite often since I moved it over. The control board only controls the fan behind the coil that’s a regular pc fan. The other 2 are 24vdc. Yours might be 48vdc ?, 10-25w resistors might be in order for speed change I’m guessing.

On another note I bought this a few years ago to run on propane as backup. I think Oz bought the 48v version. Never did get a chance to install it.

SN
SN

Offline dochubert

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 02:54:09 pm »
Hi Solarnewbee,
I think the temp switches powerjack uses are 45 degree C.  Too hot for me.  (I like to have fans kick in around 37-38C.)  How much load are you running?

Yes my fans are 48v on this inverter.  Used to be true that whatever voltage your inverter runs on, your fans would be that voltage also.  These days you can't be sure what voltage fans powerjack is putting in their inverters.  The Upower (powerjack clone) 48v/15kw inverter came with a 12v fan, which must mean the fan voltage at the control board is selectable.  There is no obvious selection point, though.  I was told by Sean at Genetry Solar that powerjack was going to standardize, 12v fans on all inverters.  Either that is not correct or they are still switching over.  Perhaps using up old stock.

I vaguely remember when powerjack was selling generators.  Didn't know they were available with a 48v output or I might have bought one myself.  Apparently not selling them these days.  Nobody on ebay seems to have one with 48v.  Guess I'll eventually have to make my own like Pete and some others have done.

---  dochubert --

Offline dochubert

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 05:06:49 pm »
Hi All,
Found this 1 inch thick rubber wheel at an estate sale for 50 cents.
8433-0

Cut 4 wedges like the one in this pic and put them under the transformer (minus the bracket also)
8435-1

Hard to get a pic that shows the wedges under the trans but you get the idea.  Once its in place this inverter won't be moved so no need for transformer brackets that hold in heat.
Next is to mount a fan on top of the transformer and change the fan behind it.  The wedges give room for airflow through and under, hopefully allowing use of slower, quieter fans.  The two transformer fans will be on whenever the inverter is on. The back fan will be 2 speed kicked up to high speed by independent temp control, sensed on the transformer.
The other 2 fans, one behind each mainboard, will be series connected to slow and quiet them.  They will still operate when the pj control says to, but each mainbord will have an independent temp controller sensing it.  Either controller will turn on both fans.  Should be adequate cooling, but will adjust as necessary.
That's 3 temperature controllers I'm adding to this inverter.  I do like to know what's going on at a glance.

---  dochubert --

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 10:39:54 pm »
Hi Doc!

Lookin good there. Got some good ideas there. I finally jumped in and bought one too. I wasn’t going to but I says to the wife that if I ever do that I could buy it logged thru her points club portal to eBay and she was like why not now? What better incentive does a guy need? 😝.

My 24v 15kw is in a server cabinet on a sliding shelf up high so I gotta find help to swap out. I never thought about raising up the coil. I like it. I control my temperatures thru sensors that report thru a cloud server and I set temp limits and action to take. I create a button in the site for fans so when the temp reaches say 120f then fan button on then set for temp drop and action taken. Sensors for every item in the inverter. Let me know if your interested it simple I will give you a link.

Can’t wait to see what you do next since I got one too.

Good luck til next time!
SN