Author Topic: power jack lf8000/48v blew up and smoked  (Read 19632 times)

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: power jack lf8000/48v blew up and smoked
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »
Well, looks like you have found the problem... loose wire will do it....

As a matter of course, I replace the tlp350's, the 4 totem pole surface transistors on that board too., ALL the fets and all the fet resistors ( the through hole ones, not the 20k surface mount ones)

I have not worked on the later model ones with a daughter driver  board...looks like it  makes it interesting.

On the 48v units there is a surge diode that can go , it is obvious which diode that is, it is an add on under the control board... may not be on the 12v one... as it is a 12v surge diode.....

Check the zeners on the floating  power supply  drive for the tlp350 chips, and you should be good to go.

At least we know what got it.... like I said, they are very very hard to kill when they are running properly as a straight inverter..... I have not been able to thus far.

Disappointing  your relationship with the seller stinks.... that is a true workmanship  warranty, and they are generally very good with that..... you must have pissed them off bad.

I have never claimed warranty, as I know why I blow things up... but there are a few that have, and been very well looked after.

You could try to kiss and make up, or at least get them to sell you a new control card.. around $45 plus shipping, last I got one. The main board is easily fixable.

Sometimes digging your heels in is not the best way forward.

................oztules

EDIT: Just looked at your pics again... you do not have through hole resistors on the power card.... so you will need 24x 46r or whatever they are surface mounts
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline sean

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 11:59:57 pm »
That is a true workmanship  warranty, and they are generally very good with that..... you must have pissed them off bad.

yes they do get pissed if you give bad feedback but i did try for help 1st if they only ask me to open it up and look over it when i had them on skype on a webcam show them it over heating and turning off in shutdown so i did try to get help why it was over heating and turning off they said it was normal ter to do that and can give no help as its normal for it to do. why i put the back feedback on as( charger over heats and turns off they say its normal) on the feedback
 so i get Justin trying to fix it for me hes a good guy and all you guys are on here you guys help i got no help from seller. just my luck hey , im ment to putting my money back in to fixing my 1kw wind generator back up after a storm took it out . but  got to hold off as i have to get this inverter fix 1st

its not easy being green !!!

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 01:23:56 am »
Some advice from someone who loves windmills...... don't throw anymore good money after bad with it.

I moved to this island because it was in the roaring forties... just so I could play with wind power generation.
I have built a few wind generators and seen up to 5kw out of one of them.

When solar was $10/watt they were magic machines..... your in Brisbane, you can buy solar at 50 cents/watt for CEC approved panels.... I just bought 10kw from up there for $5000
At 50c/watt, there is no future in a 1kw windmill compared to 1kw of  solar..

The mill will generate probably 10% of sticker over time.... so it is really at best a 2.4kwh/day device.... and thats being very generous.... so if it costs say $500 to fix, then it would be wiser to buy 1kw of solar for the same money... and get over 4-5kwh/day  average in Brisbane solar condition.....

Unless the repairs are cheap as.... put the money into solar, the returns are vastly superior, and maintenance nil..... and I like windmills.... but I don't like the maintenance.... so my two 4meter windmills are no longer up, but I still have my water pumper flying... but don't use it to pump water anymore... solar is much better at doing that too.

Put another way... this summer, your present 600w and another 1000w combined with your battery, will run your 800w airconditioner through  a fair part of the day .... the windmill.... not even   remotely likely.

.............ozutles

Offline sean

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 02:48:03 am »
yes im with you there but i did buy it cheap off a guy on ebay i got it $200 i won it the guy payed over $1300 for it he said ever got to use it as he lived on a boat and most of the time you try to get out of the wind he said it was to big for he boat so i got it off him so i come home got my wires stays and cables and then i got a sun grid tie 1000g with dump load on it i had it fine for 8mths then a big storm come one day blow up the grid tie so cost me $100 to send it back to china come back not working still wasn't till i pulled the dump load off that it work again.  to me they didn't fix the relay that switched the to dump load they most not have fix that so take it off and work again for 2 more mths with no dump load small storm killed it again so i stop using it so the grid tie cost me $500 them $100 more to send back so lost $600 on the grid tie i still have it.

i got a 1000w gid tie just for solar and i put 600w on it and it last 2 hrs and died so i ever buy them plug and plug grid ties again.  so the wind generator was cheap to put up $300 all put it up was just what to do with the power so i put it on my batteries just to charge up it was real good as i don't get sun at night just wind and that helped keep batteries volts up at night i'm not rich guy i try to do on the cheap all the time on a pension to get off the power bills
 I have kids and they love the computers my son gaming rig big video cards its like a heater in winter lol. he room nice heated room and  i freeze my ass off in next room i still have $350 power bills to love to get to the end but its going to take along time on my budget .

so long as i can get my blade fixed one blade bent it the tree it went into  and a new pole $50 for my wind generator be back up at running it not alot of power but it helps  its lost money if its not working yes
o best i seen come out of it was 589 watts in good winds
all my friends called me windy Sean but no wind gen down i lost the name think i need to add baked beans to my diet lol

not easy being green .....Sean

Offline sean

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 03:12:41 am »
i been looking on the back shed and trying to find the blades but i think that the people selling them went out of business so had to find them i try heat it up and bend it back see how it goes the blades on the back shed site there a guy on there got blades not same as my blades so i keep it down for know i going to get 4 cheap 250w solar panels off a friend $300 for 4 not to bad they 2nds off gumtree they have bad cells on them but still working i try get them in 2 to 3 weeks ...

i rent home here so have to put them in yard cant use roof i do have a tracker but its got my 3x 200w 12v panels on it  there on a trailer in my yard that what i'm using to get my power for the lights led  12 in home and i have 12v led hdtv to 115l12v fridge for family of 6 here trying my best i get there one day its just the setbacks i get try me what do you do keep trying.....

not easy being green .....Sean

Offline sean

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 08:13:35 am »
I got help from a good guy ( David) in the uk, he had a you tube video showing the new LF power jack inverters i got to talking with him and he got help for me in getting the repair parts so i can get my inverter working again so yes my power jack is alive again thanks to david and justin talking with the sellers so i can get my repair parts...

i see there is a new part on my control board i maybe be a fix on it not sure so know i got it working again and i get my mate justin to look over the old parts and see if he can fix it still never know may work again

next i have to justin to look over it to do the mods to the unit to cut down on the stand by power and look at better cooling for it.

one more thing i need to see why i cant use it when my batteries are on charge i found this time i have my solar controller set on 14.4v i found the inverter over volts alram going off know and it turns off but if i put the volts set down to about 13.6v then its fine and it stays on  not sure why its doing this as in the book for the inverter it says the high volt is 15v is there away to turn the volts up so it don't turn off as i like my battery bank set on 14.4v as i get better charge in my batteries that way

Offline off the wall

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 03:19:05 pm »
I got help from a good guy ( David) in the uk, he had a you tube video showing the new LF power jack inverters i got to talking with him and he got help for me in getting the repair parts so i can get my inverter working again so yes my power jack is alive again thanks to david and justin talking with the sellers so i can get my repair parts...

Hi! Thanks for mentioning this - and great to hear of success. That's me . . . and I put him in touch with Cher.

On this thread, I had issues with the early LF inverters which decided to blow their FETs but subsequently the boards were changed and the 2nd generation power boards have given me very reliable service.

The reliable power boards have two rows of resistors in front of the FETs and the old version which tended to blow their FETs randomly only had one row.

Best wishes

OTW

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:27 pm »
Sorry Sean, I didn't see this....overvoltage shut down.

It has been done a few times before, and maybe you have seen that, but the mot reliable way has been a 5v6 zener across resistor ( 10M ) R14. The cathode towards the computer chip... it won't happen again, but you may have problems with over charging with using the charger... which I don't use so don't know for sure.

..............oztules

Offline sean

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:04 am »
sorry mate for the long time to reply i got some help to put a (10m) on the R14  but when i went to put it on the new boards that come there was some small board hot glued over the top of where the R14 was so i ask the seller what to do and they said to add a (1m) to the under side of the board not to take the glued board off just to do that so i did it and WIN no more problems with it over voltage shutdown it runs fine with my solar on it  and missus is happy it just works she washing machine runs good don't cut out anymore

it been working the washing and i do use my power tools on it and  it works fine thanks to yourself  and guy in the UK David thats the name(off the wall) on this site

I don't work it hard i haven't even done the anything to the standby power loss as its off most of the time only turn it on as i need it
i hate to see it die on me again but if it does it ok, as there help out there to get it fix again. but if it does my home be fine as most of the home is 12v gear know the 220L fridge and freezer 12v/24v and a 115L 12v and X2 50L 12v fridges one in the boat and a beer fridge LOL and the led lights in the home 12v the 24"hdtv 12v x2 and the fish tanks are 12v air pumps and the grey water tank 12v ozone generator and water pumps i almost have a full DC power home next be hot water tanks DC element to just put solar on that getting there but good to have my inverter for the last 240v gear in the home.
next thing i be trying with my solar setup is one of this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2400w-smart-solar-controller-DC12V-24V-MPPT-100AMP-solar-panel-3-5-LCD-display-/251932296381?hash=item3aa855c4bd
i like to try it out see if it works fine as i don't see anyone have blow up yet on your site but i see you guys starting to talk about them the blue one with no screen on it but i like to try the one with the screen on it see how it goes i do have 16x 190w panels $50 each with a 5kw grid tie$300 on the home but i like to take the grid tie off and go to more off grid setup so i have panels there to use on it and some can go to the solar hot water use see how i go . 

thanks again for your help mate and the time to help all of us out ....you one of the guys to help save as all ,planet needs more guys like you 

go green Sean.

Offline buzzz

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 04:23:32 am »
im new here...i have a blown power jack 15k ...it blew when i turned of mains to inverter to go ups.....
question is what are the four driver transisters exactly (two are ny....two are my )....these are i think smd body types but what values are they.optos easy and fets easy
buzzz

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »
drivers here

click on picture for bigger.

4718-0

...............oztules

Offline sean

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 11:03:39 pm »
just reporting in that my 8000w lf inverter  has blown up again.
Not sure if i buy the pcb board or controller board as i think it the transformer that is damaged i got up today to smell that bad smell of some thing that was on fire only to find a bad squealing sound coming from the power jack inverter and run down to see what was going on i had a 240v timer pluged into it for my pool it not a big pool just a small ring pool pump don't even go over 100w.

there was smoke and a fire going off in the timer but this is the thing it was not even switched on the timer was to kick on at 9:00 and this was 5:00am when i here the poping sound and the smell of smoke i unpluged the timer out and here the sound still there on the screen said that there still voltage there but only about 204v not 240 like it was and there not a thing pluged into it and it says was using 134watts.

So i turned it off till i work out what happen to it i think i buy a newer kind of inverter maybe i have better luck with i not had the best of luck with my power jack inverter . maybe i get to trying to work out if it can be fixed as a back up down the track... 

Offline lighthunter

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 05:45:42 am »
Looks like it was not your inverter that caused the problem. With some $25.00 of ebay 4110 fets, some 47 ohm resistors a soldering iron and wick, a little attention to detail and you can have it running like new in an afternoon. (4 driver transistors as well). Its not as hard as it seems.

Have fun with it!
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH

Offline eidolon

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 07:21:28 am »
Likely you need some better filtering on the output of inverter.  I think a protective MOV in the timer likely was being killed over time.  As this is a capacitor voltage dropper power supply, those spikes could have done in the current limiting resistor in series with the capacitor if there was no MOV.

Offline sean

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2017, 01:55:14 am »
hi guys its been some time with my inverter setting there its time to have a go at fixing it got a mate going to help me out he like to know if I can use this mosfet http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10Pcs-Ru190n08q-Ru190n08-Mosfet-N-Channel-Advanced-Power-New-Ic-D-/282467392416?hash=item41c45e5ba0:g:LfIAAOSwA3dYHdNv off ebay mine is a 12v 240v LF 8000w power jack tried to get some one ones off my 1st inverter parts from when they blow but there not the same if any one can help me out with the 12v inverter I know lots of you guys run the 48v inverter so not sure if anyone know whats best to use on the 12v inverter? thanks again