Author Topic: Drilling Magnets it can be done 16ft turbine part one  (Read 7773 times)

Offline hilltopgrange

• No Personal Text Set by User
Drilling Magnets it can be done 16ft turbine part one
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:23:33 pm »
Drilling Magnets it can be done

Hi guys , its been a while since I have posted , just been to busy with an endless list of projects and jobs in progress.

The latest project is a dual rotor axial machine and I am almost ready to wind the coils but I thought I would run the figures past the experts.

As usual I never do things the easy way, I like to use/reuse stuff I have at hand if possible. My previous builds where 8,10 and a 12 footers but mostly followed the plans from Hugh, this one was inspired by Hughes 14ft machine but with more magnets.

So here's the spec

Dual rotors 18 inch by 1/2inch

16 poles per rotor each made up from two magnets T shaped the mags are 2x1x½ n42 with 32 per rotor. Each pair of magnets are like poles forced to sit in repulsion.

The magnets are glued with slow set epoxy and a single 4mm stainless csk screw to secure each one in position (tapped into the rotors). I don't think I will pot the magnets , I have had problems with rust in the past , I think the polyester holds any moisture that gets in and it just eats into the mags. I have applied several coats of paint over an anti rust primer. Time will tell I suppose!

The bearing and flange are from the front axle of an old series 3 Land rover with new bearings and seals ..

I got a very good deal on the magnets but they were plain and without holes. I had a few spare so I decided to experiment with drilling them. I know some say you cant drill them while others will say you shouldn't drill them.

So good or bad here is how I did it. I first tried normal hss bits which was useless so I then tried a masonry bit, it did cut but got hot very quick even with coolant. So then I ordered a very cheap set of glass/ceramic bits from eBay

These are cheap and nasty and I didn't hold out much hope but against the odds they went through them like a hot knife through butter. I cooled the test piece with water, the bit and the magnet was stone cold though I did go very slowly. The hole(4mm) was cut clean with no chipping or flaking and didn't break out the bottom .

So as the test was such a success I decided to go for it with the set of 64. I set up a jig with in a tray on the vertical drill but instead of water for the coolant I used white spirit , I didn't want to introduce water into the magnet. The jig insured each one was drilled dead centre and the tray held enough coolant to cover the magnets, I also kept a flow of coolant on the bit as I wanted to be sure there was no heat to demagnetize the magnets. The countersinking was done using the 10mm bit from the same set. The 4mm bit has a very flimsy shaft and I managed to drill 62 before it bent slightly and I had to buy another set for the remaining 2, such is life lol. I don't have a meter to test the mags but they don't seem to have suffered from the process.

The cuttings form a magnetic mud and is a bit of a pain to remove, I then cleaned them with surgical spirit and coated the inside of the holes with epoxy.

So there you go that's how I did it, whether it is worth the trouble or if it has harmed them is another matter?

I assembled the rotors and wound a test coil from 1.6mm wire, 80 turns filled the coil size nicely though I could squeeze in a few more turns if needed, I fitted this coil in a plywood form and inserted it between the rotors. My stator will have 12 coils 1/2inch thick, air gap mag face to mag face is 5/8 allowing 1/16 clearance at each side, I can adjust this later if needed by skimming a little of the aluminium spacers(the nuts in the pic are just temporary) I then spun the rotors and measured the ac volts from the coil. Speed was measured with a digital tacho so should be close. With the rotors spinning at 50 rpm I was getting 5vac (4.93)

This is where I need some help, as math is not my strong point, so from the Dans excellent book it gives the formula as

Vac * 1.4=peak vac *no. coils per phase * 1.73 for 3 phase -1.4 rectifier drop

So that would be as follows (I think)

5*1.4 = 7 *4 = 28 *1.73 = 48.44 - 1.4 = 47.04 with 80 turns @ 50rpm with 1.6mm wire

This machine is for battery charging at 48v, I was hoping for 16ft dia blades, I'm not sure as to a good cut in speed for 16ft I am guessing at about 100rpm if that's the case would 40 turns of 2 in hand 1.6mm seem reasonable for the coils? I am in a high wind area and not really interested in a few watts on a rare calm day but I would like to avoid stall, I can add resistance but changing the rotor gap would be tricky once installed due to the aluminium spacers instead of nuts.

I have a stock of 1.6mm wire but if I need a different size its not a problem Im not even sure 16ft would be a good match, the only thing I cant change at this point is the magnet rotors, the offset etc has been left for now and will be determined by the recommended blade size.

I think I have included all the details if any further info is needed just let me know!

As always many thanks in advance

Russell hilltopgrange

Originally posted on fieldlines May 23, 2009,

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Re: Drilling Magnets it can be done
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:29:25 pm »
Russell, thanks for posting that here.  I've tried to find it in the past and couldn't locate it.  Now I know where is is   :)
--
Chris

Offline hilltopgrange

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Drilling Magnets it can be done 16ft turbine part one
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:10:02 pm »
Hi Chris no problem im glad it was of use.
Russell