Author Topic: Corian all purpose desk  (Read 4380 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Corian all purpose desk
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:06:35 pm »
I began construction on my general purpose desk today, got the base frame and staged the Corian itself.

There's a slight teeter to it but I think that can be worked out simple enough. It's very strong as it sits but key points need a couple more screws.

It will be "removable" from the wall, held in place by strong springs against some of the rubber removed from the truck's original bump rails, and will extend up for shelving and a bench light. The shelving will not be removable, but the bench needs to be for full unimpeded access to the battery box and power board.

Some early pics for your enjoyment... not bad considering this was my first real attempt at building something like this. Came out very well and close to my vision of it ;)

3412-0

3414-1

3416-2

3418-3

In the last two you can see the lack of screws... but it stands up just fine like this... You know my thing tho with the truck... If it ain't overbuilt, it ain't been built :)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Corian all purpose desk
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:23:27 pm »
I love that top

What is that material again?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 05:43:00 am »
   Looks good Steve.   Robust is one of my favorite words too.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:38:14 pm »
Thanks BJ :)

Wolv - "Corian" is all I know. It's extremely tough, essentially sublimates when exposed to extreme heat, and has a marble finish on it.

I fixed the warp in the assembly by propping the "short" legs on 2x4s, and put the "long" ones on foam. The half inch difference was then used to twist everything the opposite direction using the weight of the two fried GC2s. The remaining screws were installed with the frame braced, and when the batteries were removed and the legs put on the floor, the teeter was completely gone.

3424-0

The adhesive was then applied...

3426-1

... and once the Corian went on, it didn't take long for it to attract other objects  :o

3428-2

There's a lot more to do to it, but the bench itself came out nice, I'm pleased with it. I hope the rest goes as smooth ;)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.