Author Topic: Bought some Power Jacks - one works one does not  (Read 6033 times)

Offline whome

Bought some Power Jacks - one works one does not
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »
I am a first time poster although I have been reading post on here for a week or two and I just wanted to post some pictures of the LF Power Jack inverters I just purchased on E-bay. They are both 24v/110v 60hz. One is an 8000w and the other is a 6000w. They seem to be almost identical except that the transformer coil on the 6000w is a little smaller/shorter and it has less Fets on the bottom H main board.  It seems that the issue with the high idle drain mentioned in another post is not present on this one and may have been fixed, or perhaps I am looking at the wrong info.

The 6000w unit works perfectly so far and has charged my 24v batteries and I have tested some appliances on it. The 8000w was basically DOA.  It will work as an inverter if you connect the 24 volt batteries, but when powered by the 110v leg, it does not power on  in pwr save mode or full on mode. I have checked the fuses, the switch and even traced 110v getting to the control board from the plug, but when you flip the switch nothing happens.

After contacting the Chinese seller, I was advised to return for a refund, but . . . .  I got this at such a good price that I am debating just trying to fix it myself, but I was wondering if anyone knew enough about these to help advise what my options are.

1)I have read some of Oztules post on here about his and noticed there were two transformer coils in that one. Also on a post online it shows the 6000w with two coils and the 15kw with three. Could it be the difference in 50hz vs 60hz that determines whether they install one or two coils?

2) If I were to buy a replacement control boards with higher ratings (15kw) could this one handle more continuous power like the ones with two coils do?

3) If I get the 48v control card will I be able to then run it on 48volts, or would I need to make other changes ie. add another transformer coil?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Whome

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: Bought some Power Jacks - one works one does not
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 06:56:00 am »
I have a 6000 and 8000 units and both have two transformers... 50hz.

60hz will use smaller transformers for the same power.... one not two is a big ask...... but they are cooling it better i guess... maybe good for 3kw  or more for extended periods.

Odd that it works fine as an inverter, but not charger, other than fuse, or loose wire... you have checked both, so it will be in the voltage divider somewhere I guess.
If you need it to act as charger then replacement is the next step .... or see if they will provide another control card.... cheaper for both of you. perhaps.

2. Your transformer is the limiting factor. Bigger control cards will not help the heat problems in the transformer core.... only cooling can do that with what you have. Attenuating the output of the current transformer will make the control card as powerful as you want... no need to get a bigger one for more power.

3.48v needs another transformer the same in series primary, parallel secondaries..... and card.

.................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:19:33 pm »
There is a knob that is labeled battery voltage. What position is the knob set at?

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:10:24 am »
If you look at your booklet, it will give you the voltage for each set position of the battery charger. It is four stage from memory ( don't use it myself )

I recall it is tough to see where it is pointing, and you may need to find the 2 zero positions, and mark the "knob" and work out where your at as to where it is pointing.

..................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia