Author Topic: solenoid powered motor  (Read 14959 times)

Offline Burnit0017

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: solenoid powered motor
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 06:32:21 pm »

I am also working on a steam engine project and I needed away to mount the PMA. So on this project it will test how well the mount configuration works and the PMA also acts as a balance for the project because I only have one flywheel.   

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 06:45:51 pm »

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 07:51:48 pm »

Hi, The solenoid I am fabricating is producing poor results. Changing to electromagnets. Starting fabrication.

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 05:21:13 am »

I still have to add coil.

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 12:35:49 pm »
looks like your having a blast..hope it all stays togeather  :}
what is that --electro mag or solenoid ? i like your hand valve..with the little ear sticking out to actavate it........
just do it

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 02:04:24 pm »
Hi, thanks. I just started to learn how to machine metal. If it does not work out I will still have a hand crank generator or I can add some steam cylinders to make it a steam engine :o. I am learning a lot and it is all in good fun. Cheers.

First test: 6 volts @ 0.5 amps really weak results. Making new coil.

I was have bad results fabricating a solenoid so I am trying a electromagnet.

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 05:49:59 pm »

Just some photos of the project

Used 4 in hand for the coil. Next coil I will use 1 in hand. I will the same power source to determine what will have to be changed for better performance.  Increased length of cranks.

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 06:07:48 am »

Hi, I found a interesting project.

I am having better results with a magnet piston.

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 07:47:10 am »

Hi, I found this project on youtube and I just completed fabrication. Converts reciprocating motion to a circular motion. Seems to act as a torque multiplier. 

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 05:37:05 pm »
Converts reciprocating motion to a circular motion. Seems to act as a torque multiplier.

Given the driven bit seems to be going much faster than the driving bit, can you explain what you think you mean by "torque multiplier"? If it gives more torque over a larger radius at a higher speed, you've broken a bunch of physical laws.

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 07:04:54 pm »
Hi, Once the support arm reaches a higher RPM, you can feel pulsating torque on the crank. I apply a counter torque to the crank during the pulse and the RPM's increase. I am not sure how to explain why it is working and I do not want make false claims. Any help will be greatly appreciated.  If you need more info to analyse the device I will do my best to provide it. The only thing I can say for sure is that it converts a reciprocating action to a circular motion. Thanks for the help.

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 10:32:31 pm »
It's not entirely clear to me what's happening there either, although it certainly has something to do with conservation of angular momentum.
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 03:49:53 am »
To make it simpler to understand what is happening we can break it up into two things.

1. the increase in rpm as the weights come into the central zone of the described motion, is akin to the ballerina's spin speeding up as she pulls her arms in, as Steve suggested with conservation laws.

2. The act of turning the central gear into/against the torque generated to pull it in, we are simply advancing the change in diameter , effectively speeding the weights up at a smaller radius, then letting the gear off, and so having the weights back at a slightly  larger radius with the same kind of velocity it had in a bit closer.
The effect is the same as pushing a swing each oscillation, at the end of the stroke. Thats why he needs to release the torque he pushed into it ( 1/4 turn or so), and it must be relaxed back to neutral to gain the momentum. We are in effect using this "counter torque through a 1/4 turn distance to impart power to the system on each cycle of the major radius.... we have a force through a distance each time we twist the handle against the weights.

How I see it anyway, we are not breaking any laws, as we are pushing power into the system each time we turn the handle... it is using up power all the while, and will degenerate without the 1/4 turn business.

......oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 04:44:40 am »
Hi, thanks for the info. That describes how the device is operating. Thank you.

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 08:04:57 am »

Hi, increased the mass on the support arms. Acts more like a flywheel. At higher RPM's there is some scary large forces at work. Is it correct to say the more mass on the support arm it will store more power that is generated from the plant gears?

Relationships I have noticed:

1.greater mass on the support arms the smoother it operates

2.counter torque most be applied to the crank as the planet gear mass moves toward the center and released as the mass moves
   away from the center, if timing of the counter torque is off it start to stall

3. will not operate if the support arms RPM is slow

For this device to be useful, it is going to need a controller board. Two inputs, one to read RPM's of the support arms and one to detect the position of the planet gear weight as it starts to move toward the center. Two outputs to control the electromagnets that will drive a pendulum that will be connected to the crank arm. There maybe a purely mechanical solution, but I can not think of it.... Controller board will be a good winter project.