Author Topic: March 1, 2014  (Read 9285 times)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
March 1, 2014
« on: March 01, 2014, 08:41:39 am »
  Well, I said it might make -40C last nite, and was wrong.
  But -38.8 is close.
  Thankfully almost no wind.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: March 1, 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:41:56 am »
Well its not -40, but
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline bj

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:45:45 am »
Maybe not Wolv, but it is still dirty, rotten, mean, and nasty.

We attended an event in a neighboring town last evening.  After 4 hours sitting, the car
started, but protested a bit.  Had to come home and get my booster setup to  help
some get started.

On the bright side, it will end.  The only question is when.
bj

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:51:15 am »
I am still predicting a cold summer, or a year of no summer at this rate.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:39:19 am »

I keep saying we need to build a greenhouse.
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Isaiah

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 12:44:44 am »
Our state Senator is promoting  the plastic barns to raise your produce in.
I'm looking for either hot dry or cold dry summer.
The big farmer i get the grain cleans from said he didn't know where the corn came from last year  as we had a rain
at the last minute and it made ears. A lot of the ears were small and they had to go slower when they combined them.
 This is the year to do something
.I'm thinking of putting in a patch of dry beans. Its near 0 again here in Michigan  we had no January thaw this year.
Isaiah

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:35 pm »

Haven't been around here for awhile.....

The ice is going out on Lake Superior.  The lake is open out past the Apostles all the way to the North Shore.  Still froze on the west end and in Whitefish Bay to the Soo Locks.  USCG Cutter Alder left Duluth Harbor on the 10th and broke a channel 9 miles out to open sea.  That's actually one day earlier than last year.

We're hoping to sail our boat up the St Lawrence and back to Port Wing in the first week in June.

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:30:07 pm »
my prediiction.. will have a hot one................?
just do it

Offline bj

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:10:03 am »
Hey Chris-----sailing---------way to make a flatlander jealous. ;)
Attachment shows the change 18 days can make.  Most of the snow is gone, lots of standing water,
as the ground frost is not out yet.
Predictions?  for here, I am not making any.  It will be interesting to see how it goes though.
bj

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 01:12:53 pm »
I can predict the weather as good as the weather man (or babe) on TV.

My prediction:
By May there is a 90% chance it will be warmer than it is now.  There is a 95% chance that most of the snow will be gone.  There is a 100% chance that we might get rain and we might not.  There is a 100% chance some days will be cloudy and some sunny.

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 10:06:04 pm »
Hey Chris-----sailing---------way to make a flatlander jealous. ;)

Yeah, we're hoping for the first week in June.  There is sometimes ice on some of the bays on Superior yet in June but the others should be open and the initial rush of commercial shipping traffic should be subsided a bit.  We have to sail in the commercial shipping lanes on the St Lawrence because of our keel draft.  Hopefully in June we will be able to get thru the locks without having to wait too much.  But we are still planning on making a 2-week vacation out of bringing our boat back home for the summer.

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 09:29:04 am »
But we are still planning on making a 2-week vacation out of bringing our boat back home for the summer.

Chris;

Does that mean I have your solemn oath that there will be a summer? ;D

Frankly, right now I have my doubts, end of March and plenty of snow mounds around and a couple glacier fields in the 22 degrees F yard. ::)

I hope so.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 10:55:42 am »
Well, that Obama made solemn oaths and all that, and you see where that got us.  So I'm not doing that   :o

I am seeing snow melt even when below freezing now in direct sunlight.  So I think Old Man Winter is starting to loosen his grip.  It is very doubtful that Superior will be ice-free in early June this year.  But that's happened many times in the past, so it's not like it's unprecedented.  We'll take it as it comes.  Everybody got spoiled when spring came in March in 2012, and this year we got a "good old fashioned winter" for a change.  In years past I remember things being not all that bad after a "good old fashioned winter".  Water levels are up, we don't get as many scorching hot days in the summer, we actually get rain.  So let's just say I have high hopes that things will be more like I remember as a kid.  We never used to plant corn before May 10 when I was in high school.  If we planted oats in late April they would get snowed on many times.  Going out on opening day of fishing season was a very cold and wet experience, with near freezing temps.  It seems folks have forgotten what it used to be like here.

The main thing is, I sure hope you guys down south got all your flood control stuff in place.  You're going to see water coming from up here like you haven't seen since the late 70's.  We had originally planned on sailing our boat up the Mississippi, Illinois and Calumet to Lake Michigan.  But taking a glance around at the snow here changed my mind.  The current on those rivers is going to be big this spring.  Real Big.  And it's going to last most of the summer.

Offline bj

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 06:39:04 pm »
Sort of odd here too Tom.  Nice melt, not too fast, for about a week.  Back in the cold with more snow this last week.
(heavy sigh)
Chris--last year the mountains got heavy rain, along with the melt.  100,000 people displaced, a few towns are no more.
The snow is there for it to happen again, so am not whining that hard about the slow melt.  I'm still whining, just not hard.   ;)
bj

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »
The Mississippi got so low in the drought in 2012 that the barges were running aground and they had to close it.  All the Climate Change people began preaching from the soapbox that the drought was caused by Global Warming.  Lake Superior had more time to warm up that year because spring came in March.  The scientists at the Great Lakes Science House, or whatever it is, declared that by 2015 the average temp of Superior's waters would rise by 7 deg F.

Fast forward to 2014.  The Climate Change people are still on soapbox proclaiming the Polar Vortex escaped from the North Pole due to some sort of waviness in the air that is caused by Global Warming.  The Climate Change people think $hit up as they go.  No matter WHAT happens it is caused by Climate Change these days.  Trust us.

The scientists at the Great Lakes Science House, or whatever it is, that declared Superior was going to warm up 7 deg F by 2015 are strangely silent.  And they don't answer emails when you ask them WTF happened to the prediction you made last year?