Author Topic: My Scratch Pad  (Read 96864 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Re: My Scratch Pad
« Reply #435 on: December 09, 2016, 01:21:43 am »
6578-0
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #436 on: December 09, 2016, 10:11:14 am »
Needed to prevent backfeed during USB sessions for programming/debugging, and jumped off the cliff so nobody else needs to wonder if it'll work should they need to do something like this...

That said, you're on your own if you let the magic smoke and fire out of anything in the process of attempting this.

The downstream device doesn't care if there is no 5V rail coming from the upstream device provided it has a power source of its own.

I left the DC ground pin connected and patched the shield to the donor connector. Works fine.

6580-0

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #437 on: December 09, 2016, 01:00:58 pm »
Getting really close now... made the leap of faith to allow an old breadboard to host the critical interface between brains and the main power converter...  :-X

Just recently pruned it to make room for the remaining odds and ends and then it's on...

6582-0

The small board contains the stuff that is now pretty much set in concrete and is just in a holding pattern until I cast the whole perf board. Personally I think it's reached a point where finishing it off with perf is almost an insult to it but... we'll see lol

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #438 on: December 10, 2016, 11:14:28 pm »
6589-0

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #439 on: December 11, 2016, 04:28:27 pm »
6595-0

Progress...

That's it's old "brain" in the lower right corner of the frame

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2016, 06:34:08 pm »
6597-0

There are issues but nothing major... not surprising there's some noise wandering around throughout, especially considering I disconnected part of the grunt's common mode filter to look at another issue... so I cleaned up the screen and annotated the debug outputs (blue). The data shown is after stable operation at 600W of input with the fan running on a strict 12.0V, "battery" temp is actually only reading ambient air temp near the fan intake.

So lots more to do still but it's nice to be getting back away from the low 60s SoC again :o

As it comes...

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #441 on: December 11, 2016, 10:12:46 pm »
That's it's old "brain" in the lower right corner of the frame

I love those two chunky cables with nice shiny lugs, one black, one red, just lying there beside each other, begging for something to bump them into intimate contact....

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #442 on: December 11, 2016, 10:29:42 pm »
Camera couldn't see them when they were laying next to my feet ;)

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #443 on: December 22, 2016, 05:29:36 pm »
6618-0

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #444 on: December 23, 2016, 04:56:05 am »
6620-0

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #445 on: December 23, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »
6622-0

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #446 on: December 24, 2016, 05:10:19 am »
Well, it fit... Barely...

6624-0

All of about a half dozen free rows or so, give or take a couple "halves" here and there...

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #447 on: January 04, 2017, 09:28:48 pm »
Little road trip, some big G map action, the hunt for a nearby Canadian based gas station with good frozen caffeinated frozen refreshments, and a foot excursion... found one of these...

6678-0

Unfortunately there isn't much to see at 10:30 at night, but the sign at least corrected my significant underestimation of "several hundred kW" lol

Edit - Tried to get a pic but there's near no ambient light and this is the best one I got even trying to steady it against one of the tie in poles... with any luck and convincing maybe I can swing by there in the morning and get a decent shot - they'll also be facing the road at that point ;)

6680-1

GPS Coordinates: 39.439940,-75.044296
https://goo.gl/maps/4sGKgXegE3H2

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #448 on: January 06, 2017, 03:10:15 am »
Yep. Thank you Wolv, I had never gotten back to edit it again lol

Ok so with the new charger on the edge of being complete, the ammeter's linearity and offset from thermal effects need to be hammered down, as the first pass with the ammeter in particular had some significant linearity issues. I believe they've been resolved for the most part but it's much more difficult to verify of course than the voltage was, so I came up with this quick "hot wire shunt" that is set up to multiply a 50mV/250mA d'Arsonval type meter to be interpreted as 0-50A instead. Seems to check out in its roughest form on the bench, the tap points will of course be soldered and the assembly made to be a little more concise and robust so it doesn't introduce excessive drift of its own (it's by far not an ideal layout but will tell me approximately what I need to know to reel the charger's ammeter in to within reasonable tolerance for as far as I really care to try and chase the errors.)

This is after all something of a proof of several concepts type deal, I've got other things to compare it against. But more on that once it's finished... here's the experimental setup used to find the length of wire needed and starting points for the taps...

6689-0

Some of the finer details that need to be observed when making one of these... the main ones being that the taps must be both *entirely* on the shunt wire and *only* the shunt wire to eliminate the variances caused by the connections to the source/load (in this case the EU barrier), and likewise for similar reasons, the location that the mV readings are taken from at the d'Arsonval, *after* the connections that lead to the taps. Might not intuitively seem like it but the internal shunt for the intended 0-250mA scale has radical effects on the voltage readings taken from across it, even tho it's a significantly higher resistance than the wire.

Here is the setup reading 5.00A, being fed by a linear bench supply operating in CC mode...

6691-1

Variance is in the range of 20-40mA as it sits, checked at a dozen or so random setpoints within the 0-5A range. Each tick mark on the analog meter represents 1A.

I'll post the finished jig after I solder it up and get it in line for its intended use.

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #449 on: January 06, 2017, 05:40:53 pm »
6697-0

6699-1

Thing ain't turn out half bad if I don't say so myself...

Still need to add the "cheaters" back for directly reading the mV drop (translates 1mV:1A) but other than that, should serve the purpose

It is set to read *slightly* low at room temp so that when the wire warms up a little from higher current, it doesn't shoot too far above