Author Topic: replacing NiCad cells in cordless battery packs  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
replacing NiCad cells in cordless battery packs
« on: November 22, 2013, 12:59:21 pm »
simpler method and cheaper than
 http://www.battrx.com/
my method uses a special adapter so
you use my cartridges or make them yourself
from Bruce's batteries that he might have sent you .
this is a holder that I make from fiberglas instead of PVC
tubes, eliminating the bulky PVC tubes.
More information forthcoming ....
you will notice their warning about soldering these batteries

(quote) ATTENTION:

FACT: Heat destroys batteries.

FACT: Electronic soldering requires temperatures above 600ºF.

FACT: Internal battery temperatures of 160ºF can and will cause Thermal Runaway--you've seen it; leaking, distended batteries that ruin whatever they touch.

Conclusion:

Soldering requires heat

+

Heat destroys batteries.
(unquote)
true heat will destroy the battery.....excessive heat that is
......but I solder the negative end the whole shell absorbs the small amount that I use to
spot solder the tab to the bottom of the can......first I tin the tab and flux the spot which
I intend to solder to ....next I press the soldering iron to the top of the tab and heating the
tab just long enough to melt the solder on the tab then quickly press the tab down for one second
then rock the edge of the soldering iron on the tab and the tab instantly cools down and allows the
joint to set .....and wetting my finger on a wet cloth and touching the joint The heat of the joint
has already been absorbed by the "heat sink" of the entire cell can. It's actually cooler than your hand.
So where is all this awful heat they are talking about ?
Norm.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: replacing NiCad cells in cordless battery packs
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 02:03:48 am »
Trick is high heat to do it quickly.
Oh and flux..   
If you heat the solder points slowly, the heat will transfer away from the solder point and heat the internals of the battery to much, which CAN damage them.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
Re: replacing NiCad cells in cordless battery packs
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:55:51 pm »
Yes exactly couple of years ago I had trouble soldering the tabs....but no more I bought a
bigger soldering (pen?) twice the diameter and twice the wattage compared to the smaller one it's like a magic wand one touch press down to the cell bottom rock the wedge shaped point forward to hold the tab down for a second until the melted solder cools and sets and you're done ......1,2,3 and done less than 3 seconds
oh yeah and just a smear of flux.
actually I think solder is better than those little spot welds higher surface area contact .
  Oh also I have a dimmer switch on a switch box with plug in to an outlet then the soldering iron plugs into it
set the switch for just the right amount of heat to do the job without burning up the  iron.