Author Topic: cheapest pannels  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Seth7

• No Personal Text Set by User
cheapest pannels
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:27:55 am »
who sells the cheapest panels now-a-days ?

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
Re: cheapest pannels
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:47:41 am »
  Give Fred 480V on E-bay a try.  Bought cells from him, and his panel prices were decent then, but it's been a while.
  He doesn't mis-represent things either.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:07:51 pm »
BJ, isn't Fred the one that used to post projects on otherpower a Looongg time ago ?
Norm.

Offline bj

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 06:40:38 am »
   Got me on that one Norm, I'm not sure.  If memory serves I got his name from Oztules when he
did the series on building solar panels.
bj

Offline Seth7

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »
im not sure i want to try putting those project panels behind some sliding glass doors or get a bunch of Plexiglas ...

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 04:44:47 pm »
 Got mine for US$0.87/W I *think*... although $0.67 keeps nagging at me. I'll find out and re-post... One or the other however, this was as of Dec 2012. Sunelec dot com. A set of four 50W 12V panels.

One caveat - if you're looking for (and need) certified panels, take heed: you may want to skip over them. Even their so-called "certified" panels as listed on their website are indeed NOT certified... At least not as of even a few months ago.

In my application, this didn't matter whatsoever, as I do not officially have them tied or anything, nor does my use case require them to be for any other reason either. The cost is a fair clue, but since I didn't personally care, I got them anyway.

I do know of at least one individual that DID need them certified and ran into a nice snarl trying to resolve the issue when it was brought to the company's attention.

The quality of the panels however is excellent, and they produce what the specs call for under proper conditions, so personally I have no complaints, and the price was very reasonable.

A quick glance at their site looks like they may have redone some things, so the above about certification may or may not still apply.

FWIW

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Seth7

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:04:50 pm »
that fred 480v has 250 .5v 4W cells ... that's 1000W for 275$ pluss some shipping ...

would plexiglass protect enough and let the wanted light in ?

perhaps keep the plexi 1/2" above the cells ...

Offline bj

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 06:09:06 am »
  Sorry Seth, I checked fred's store, and if he still has complete panels, I couldn't find them.  Things change I
guess.
  The only answer I can give on the plexi is that I did some testing with plexi over the cells, and couldn't
see any difference between it and glass.  But that was new plexi.  I'm sure it will degrade with time.
  Prices vary with location, but here, plexi is more expensive than glass.
bj

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:36:25 am »
I'm sure it will degrade with time.
  Prices vary with location, but here, plexi is more expensive than glass.

Been awhile since I checked but Plexi was much higher cost wise than glass the last time I was checking on such things. Plexi will scratch and get less clear with time just from that, I believe.

Just my tuppence and worth every penny you paid. ;D

If the size works old patio door glass would work well, I think. Plus it is tough safety glass but you cannot cut it as far as I know so stuck with the size you find.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline wilfor03

• USA - Union Grove, Al
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 08:44:46 am »
who sells the cheapest panels now-a-days ?

Hey Seth7...
Just a short blurp about the cheapest panels.....This fella below on flea-bay has a good buy @ $1.38 a watt (what?), delivered. I don't know this seller and have no connections to him. I'm putting up my panels right after I re-do my mount/pole here at the new place and I'm really considering buying these myself. Just another possible source.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270954828948?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I don't have my system connected to the grid or anything so I don't really care about UL listed or whatever.......FYI and hope it gives you another place to look? Good luck......

Bill