Author Topic: Any new work with HD magnits ?  (Read 4617 times)

Offline seajinn

• A 2 bit Jinn
    • Hearbal Equine K9 Health care
Any new work with HD magnits ?
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:58:24 am »
I must have a billion of them , ok over estimate, maybe more like a million n 3. And shortly to hatch out maybe 100 more any day now. Long ago was a fellow in Jersey on the utter board who was making gennys with them and I still haven't found any traces back and assume maybe the files are lost to the great Cyber Abyss?
  But now with the time and bringing my attention back to RE as will as need to developed my own Travail Trailer system. I got back to thinking what new may have come up. I hope years ago my post about the simple nail bitter or tile nippers came in handy but I begin to wonder if any one has tried using them with out splitting say like making a Serpentine  wind with the stator, or would the spacing in nature of there construction of the HD's make that prohibited? Any one been down this avenue yet?
  If so then there would maybe be good use as well for the HDs built with the manufactured (2 halves on one backer plate ) in a auto alternator rebuild to PM  unit ?
  Second I am wanting to maintain a pair of 109AH deep cycles since it is about all the trailer can hold and unlike most in travel trailers I wouldn't have the luxury of setting up under trees the 5 to 7 days on each of my stops , because i will be at race horse training centers and most are rather wide open so i should be able to get in good air streams and just suffer the heat or devise a easy up fly tarp for some shad relief.
  I have a large supply of microwave mags as well but wonder a machine built with them be rather hard to raise on a mast and more so bring down in a hurry when bad weather wants to pass my location. I all ready faced the facts I might be better off building a pair to reduce size and ease in temporary settings, and see little difficulty in doing so.
Thanks
There's more to the eye then the cat thats nimble

Offline klsmurf

• 40,54N 87,21W
Re: Any new work with HD magnits ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:12:44 pm »
Hello seajinn

I don't have any new ideas on HHD magnets for gennys, nor have I heard of any, but they are fun to play with. I think if you were to search the name MickS on the other board, you would find some of what you were looking for. There was a large amount of older stuff lost over there.

Here's a couple shots of a mini-genny I started a couple weeks ago.

Kevin

btw:     I use tile nippers.
"A man's got to know his limitations" ---- Harry Callahan

Offline seajinn

• A 2 bit Jinn
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 07:10:28 am »
Kool Beans. I see also you sacrificed a few wet saw blades to the project. Did you find it necessary to back the blade up with and other saw blade? I was thinking of using some plate steel off a old dryer or fridge cover. What you got going there is about what i in vision? You have you numbers worked out all ready? also It seams you shy a fill mag-dick and are using non symmetric halves that had me a bit worried. I was contemplating trying a stack of 2 per coil? when my mind keep flashing me back to some images i once saw on the other board ware a DC drawing was in the works with a single wire winding in a non crossing configuration that i am trying to see if maybe it would work that you don't need the nip the HD mags in have? The wire wind snakes about the poles. All I am out to do is keep a pair of deep cycles charged in a 21 foot travail trailer as i crisscross the country every year and get ride of the power sucking power pack of old technology.
  Looks like your maybe shy a few magnets? Let me know because over the past few winters i broke down nearly 1000 hard drives and have quit a few miss matched gropes that might fill your bill. I to am trying to learn how to post pictures so stay tuned to have a snoop in my stock piles or make contact ill email but i have surplus to sell n trade.
Robert

Offline seajinn

• A 2 bit Jinn
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 06:06:23 pm »
With a little iron dusting over regular paper i see there is some what of a gap left whole !   Duhh so now what? 3 in hand 36g LOL
  Any way I dug out my handy dandy pocket scope and maybe play around to nite and see if a serpentine stator might be fished through the gaps?  In case any one is curious, I share my iron dust print and can say it is about the same in every brand of the HDMs
Yahh the scope fits my pockets, I'm a old school Dutch Dumpster Diver after all. I got really big pockets !  ;D
 Thanks for your feed back and pic's klsmurf . Take a closer look at my steel boards and see if  I have any smaller sets or signals that might finish yours off? I still have about 125 hard drives yet to liberate the mags from.
Robert

Offline klsmurf

• 40,54N 87,21W
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:27:30 pm »
Hey
 Nice scrap piles you have there! Thanks for the offer on the magnets, I still have enough for another layer if I want to. I'm curious why you think my rotors are short on them.

I see also you sacrificed a few wet saw blades to the project. Did you find it necessary to back the blade up with and other saw blade?

I think those blades were actually some cheep ones for cutting cement board siding. They didn't work well cutting, but they hold magnets fine.  ;) I'm actually waiting right now for a piece of 1/4 in. plate to be cut to use as rotors. I new from the start the saw blades would be a problem. That's why I started with 2 a side.

You have you numbers worked out all ready? also It seams you shy a fill mag-dick and are using non symmetric halves that had me a bit worried. I was contemplating trying a stack of 2 per coil?

This is my first hands on experience with building a generator. Read the books, read the boards, but you gotta have lab time to know for sure. After testing combinations and variations I came up with the 16/12 configuration, 3 magnet high per pole. My reclaimed wire choices were 24 or 21 awg. I am shooting for 4-5 ft. with a 12 volt cut in around 300 rpm. I came up with 2 in hand of the #21 82 turns. Bench testing such a coil gave me a cut in at 270. It's all moot anyway 'cause I'm changing rotors.

Good luck with your serpentine wind. Don't know much about about it, but imagine keeping it thin and flat are important. Have you done any coil testing with full HDD mags. I would think having virtually no "dead" space between those poles will be a problem. Let us know how it goes.

"A man's got to know his limitations" ---- Harry Callahan

Offline seajinn

• A 2 bit Jinn
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 07:25:35 am »
Yahh you definitely need more steel  but the wet saw blades are good enough to get a lay out and some spin up tests done, I have tie saws that spin up to 12 inch smooth rimed blades and even to dubble them up i still see leakage out the back with HD mags but 2 blades are enough the grab the flux on my micro wave mags. This wont be my first,  but is with HD it is on a scale worth doing any real work. I sold a older large air gap 3 phase that spun microwave mags on 4 Tileamatic curb street cuter blades you see used to bury traffic control sensors at intersections and they were 26 inches with near a ton of microwave mags in pairs. I mad it to spin on a slow vwat and used it for gas production and klin and for a few years never realized at times my work bench was turned off yet the bench had power, I discovered totally by accident that my electrolyzers when left open and the wind stopped , the hydro and oxy would flow back to the cells and like a battery turned my electronic bench power supply back on ! My buddy's from NASA came to have a laugh it me and give me a education about hydrogen energy cells  and calmed mine was 3 times bigger then any ones they had over here at Wallops Flight center. I even got a hydrogen powered (energy cell)watch from the base as both a joke about my oddity and also a favored contractor to the base.
  The guys on the other board thought i had a wast of materials and a vwat was like bad taboo. But not a one even had a solution to the problems i always had with at 2 different times built a hwat and here on the step at the ocean and some elevation i am at, I suffered with what they local weather guys called a rotor effect. The daily wind stream would for ever keep the the windmill turning clock wise tell the power leads would bind the mill in a fixed position for days tell the winds dropped out and the mill would unwind. My only real choice was slip rings and everyone agreed with me there, in my situation on the beach was not worth the efforts. We have power poles on fire often here on the shore so you can image what this environment would do to energized slip rings and power down the tower.
  I did a lot of lab ware fabrication, repair and vacuum tubing so i used hydrogen instead of costly and dirty propane i had no means to produce myself as i was able to do making my own oxygen and hydrogen from water and wild electricity harvesting. I did custom tile components and glass tile to and though the vwat could take days the kiln get to tempiture, it was free to fire it up. True the size of my genny would of started a old compressor had it be swinging  a 30 foot prop hwat , with the count of the poles on such a large disk with the slow rpm from the vwat it worked out to my shop needs pretty darned will and the birds enjoyed hours on the merry go round  !
  Looking at your project i saw the second plate not totally populated so I was just wondering if you were still hunting more HDMs
  If I remember correctly,  The fellow in New Jersey was groping piles of hard drive mags to build up a larger pole surface to increase the space for the  coils. I guess in a day or so i give that a try to but I suspect for my immediate needs what you have going there is about practical for my needs , keeping a pair of 109 ah battery's up on charger and get my trailer off the power sucking power pack.
  Thanks for the specks , gives me a good starting point since time is not on my side.