Author Topic: System Upgrade  (Read 9314 times)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
System Upgrade
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:21 pm »
Haven't posted here in awhile.  Been too busy swapping out inverters and two inverter upgrades in six months is a lot of work   :(

Our SW Plus 5548 went to North Carolina to an off-grid home there - my wife insisted on putting a note in the box before it left:

Since it was out with the old, it's in with the new:

We got the SCP in the kitchen:

And we also got the XW-AGS for it:

The only real gripe I have with the Conext XW Power System is that the Load Start/Load Stop isn't programmable or adjustable like it was in the SW Plus.  It requires the inverter to operate for five minutes in overload before it will start the generator to assist.  And it shuts the generator down 1 minute over the load drops below the Load Stop setting.  Both of those times were adjustable in the SW Plus.

However, the XW is more capable also - we've run it at 12 kW for up to a minute and 8.5 kW for five minutes just on battery power and it has no problems with that.  Within two hours after we fired it up for the first time I loaded it to 7.2 kW for 30 minutes just on battery power and it just got warm enough to feel some warmth coming out of the vent on the top of it.

So I hope we're done swapping out inverters for awhile.  My wife and I could not lift this one.  We didn't have any suitable jacks, nor able to get a forklift or skid steer in the utility room - so we called up two of our friends to come over and help lift it onto the wall bracket.

We decided to put in a new Trane XR13 2-ton Central A/C unit in our house this summer because we're not going to endure another summer of torture in the heat.  We upped our solar power to 4.5 kW and I got another kW leaning against the shop wall to install yet.  Then decided the 5548 was just a little on the light side to handle the Central A/C.  I hope we're done with these upgrades now so they don't cut into my fishing time this summer   8)
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: System Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:07:09 am »
Hope this system keeps up with the A/C. Iknow how it sucks to lose fishing time  ;)
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:15:06 am »
Looks like you have come to the end now.......  That should be enough to power everything.

The good thing about air conditioners, is that you need them when the sun is most likely to be about the place, so the solar "shines" in this application.

Can you grid tie to it, and drive it backwards into the batteries?

If so you may be able to ressurect the Jake for winter....

Nice piece of kit

............oztules

Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:22:49 am »
Can you grid tie to it, and drive it backwards into the batteries?

If so you may be able to ressurect the Jake for winter....

Yes, it can AC couple and use it to charge batteries on AC1 input with the Grid Support Mode.  However, we don't plan on doing that.  We got our backup generator wired to the AC1 input instead.  I have given up on finding a suitable inverter for the Jacobs that will work, and I think I got the turbine sold come spring.

Our generator fuel bill was only $179 for the month of January this year (I thought that was bad).  But when one of the guys that came over to help lift the new inverter onto its wall bracket told us that his electric bill was $460 for January, I suddenly didn't feel that bad about it.  Basically, our generator fuel bill is zero for 9 months of the year because six gallons of gas will last us for three months at a time for Peak Load Support from the gen for the few minutes it runs for that.

We figured the thing you surmised - solar is cheap now and when the sun is shining it's hot and we want to run our new A/C unit.  The A/C draws 47 amps @ 240V to start the compressor, 8.7 amps @ 240V for compressor run and 1.3 amps @ 120V for the fan on it.  The two extra kW of solar capacity should be able to run that on a hot day with no problem with the compressor cycling on and off with the thermostat setting.

The SW Plus could've run the A/C, but not enough surge capacity with a 120V inverter and transformer to start it reliably.  The split-phase XW6048 will laugh at it because it only has to deliver half the amps on the same size wire, and that's why we bought it.
--
Chris

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »
   Sweet Chris.  Good luck fishing.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 03:37:06 am »
Nice to see a post from you again, thanks for the update!
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:26:07 am »
No disrespect intended, CO - but gosh, whatever happened to 12V systems and MSW inverters being all the world ever needed, and anything "better" was just an expensive wank? :)

That's certainly a mean looking system - how 'bout some pics of the batteries now to round it all out??

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 07:24:23 am »
Ross - I could probably get by just fine with a 250 watt 12V inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my truck, with a cord running into the shack to power a single 9 watt CFL than don't work unless you tap on it.

My wife, however, wanted what every woman wants - POWER   :o
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »
There's been a few growing pains with this new system, though.

The XW stuff has weird names in the SCP like XW6048, XWAGS and XWSCP and so on.

Sometimes Kristin likes to pre-start the generator for really heavy loads like if she's going to run the clothes dryer, washing machine, and range convection oven at the same time.  With the SW Plus there was a button that just says "GEN" on it and it was intuitive because you press that and select "ON".

She looks at the XW SCP and says "What is "x-wags?  What button do I press to start the generator?"

So I tell her, "That stands for XW Automatic Generator Start."

"Oh.  So why can't it just say that instead of "x-wags?"

Well, it can.  So I had to rename everything so it's easier for her to understand.  But you'd think that the engineers that design this stuff would think of it before we, as the end user, get it.

2175-0

The other thing is that the XW inverters are quite picky on gen input.  Absolutely no problems with our Honda generator with electronically controlled engine and computer controlled voltage and frequency on the gen head.  But with our backup generator on the AC1 input it's a different matter.  The backup unit is just mechanical governor with standard old AVR regulation on voltage.

The XW's sampling of the AC inputs, and its reaction if it doesn't like it, is VERY fast.  The freq or voltage drops out of spec for just 5 milliseconds and it will tell the generator to take hike and come back when it grows some hair on it balls.  The XW's output is cleaner and more stable than any utility power I've ever seen, but it also expects no worse than utility grade power from generators.  This is good because it protects your loads from surges, brownouts, etc., and insures you equipment has nothing but the cleanest most stable power possible.  But it also means that when we're running our backup gen for its monthly exercise we have to be really careful with what we turn on, because even  the surge load from the 'fridge starting can cause the inverter to spit it off.

So for anybody considering an XW Power System, don't even think about putting a cheap generator on it.  It won't work.  The XW is going to spend more time looking down its nose at it than letting it actually do anything because the XW figures "these are my loads and if you think you're going to try to power 'em you'd better do it right."

We didn't buy the XW Power Distribution Panel for it because we already had SquareD QO Loadcenters in the house and shop.  I made a generator AC bypass for it out of a SquareD QO 100 amp box with two 2-pole breakers and a QO2DTI interlock.  I also put the breaker in that panel for the welder because the welder requires 40 amps @ 240 volts.

2176-1

And we put a Outback PSX-240 6 kVA auto transformer on the split-phase distribution panel that splits out power to the house Main and shop Mains

2177-2

The auto transformer helps keep the XW and generator leg balanced and greatly enhances its overload capability, since 120V loads pull equal power from both legs of the split-phase output with the transformer.

So overall we're really happy with it.  It was a HUGE upgrade over the SW Plus, which is a pretty fine inverter in the first place.  But the SW Plus don't have the balls that the XW has.  Just the transformer in the XW is heavier (and bigger) than a whole Outback FX-series inverter.  The thing is built just insane heavy with copper in it.

And yeah, Ross, all it takes is money.  It was not cheap.  But it's sure nice    ;D
--
Chris