Author Topic: 3.2 meter ferrite magnet MPPT wind turbine  (Read 71276 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Re: 3.2 meter ferrite magnet MPPT wind turbine
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:02 pm »
Not to throw any gas on any fires here or anything, but the one thing that did raise an eyebrow with me was about the pin in the center...

While that may not have any significant effect, I would tend to think that there is effectively some "shorting" happening in that scenario. How much it would affect real-world flux patterns, well, I couldn't really say.

I think the idea though of problems stemming from the "claws" are more rooted in the demonstration provided by things like hard drives. The magnet for the servo is insanely strong, yet sits right next to the edge of the platters, one of which contains "irreplaceable" information about the drive, right at the edge. Hard drive designs would appear MUCH different had there not been a way to keep all that flux contained within the servo for only the voice coil to see, but there it regularly sits, typically within 1/8" of the ever so delicate data.

That said, it's likely a case of "classic misunderstanding" where things are only "black and white" and not in shades of grey. So since it happens there, it must happen everywhere else too.  ::)

Which, as you pointed out, is obviously not the case.

My $0.02

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Dale S

• My smoke got out again
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2012, 09:57:40 am »
The important thing to keep in mind here is this machine produces a crap load of power, a few miliwatts one way or another is virtually meaningless.
I aint skeerd of nuthin....WTF was that?

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »
Steve,
Your right. The rules are unbendable. The laws of the universe are black and white..... whats different is how we use things.

The axial flux alternator is the absolute pits when it comes to using the flux sensibly. It is one compromise after another. But it is easy to build, and we can throw heaps of magnet at it. With neo, that is all it takes to make it work very very well.

With ferrite, it becomes obvious how bad the design is, as without Chris's gearbox, it is next to useless. With his 130cubic inches of ferrite, you can easily make a very very powerful alternator at direct drive speeds. The AWP uses less than 90 cubic inches of ferrite, and makes an easy 2kw direct drive..... but it is not axial flux. It uses the flux more wisely, and as such is very very much better at generating power at very much lower rpm..... downside is it is not possible to build at home unless you can find stampings..... so thats out.

Knowing how bad axials use flux, and knowing all flux lines leave and return..... well if we aren't using them then they are leaking all over the place. If we used half of the flux we would be going very well. so losing flux at the back edge will mean nothing in the scheme of things.

Another reason why shorting flux on the outside does nothing bad for this design can be seen by just looking at the geometry of the coils and the placement of the mags. It would appear that the outside edges of the mags are never going to contribute any emf, as the coils windings under them are running not perpendicular to any field, but parallel.... so if you short the field, they won't know anyway... ie the electrons in the wire are being displaced from side to side not along the wire, and will contribute no emf to the output. So no surprise that he could not measure any meaningful difference............but the tabs hold the mags on... and thats a good thing, and they are only shorting non-useful flux... thats a don't care thing...... and it still works... and thats a great thing.

.................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2012, 03:55:24 am »
Oz-- 
Thanks for pointing out that the edge is not crossing any wire at an angle that makes any difference.  I had always had that thought, just a little skittish to open my mouth, as I insert my foot often enough.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2012, 10:28:30 pm »
<-- Opens his mouth and inserts the foot on a regular basis...

But.. That was a very well thought out explanation... and does make sense...

More than one way to skin a cat... or so I'm to understand.. ;)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Bio Diesel Man

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2012, 11:03:47 am »
Hey Chris,  Could you give us some idea how much you would charge to build a 3.2 ferrite magnet wind turbine ? And would that include anything like the rectifier too?/  Just wondering if that might be  better than making one?/  Thanks, Duff  Bio Diesel Man

Offline Dale S

• My smoke got out again
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »
Check his website, it's all on there.

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »
Check his website, it's all on there.

Dale;

Who are you responding too and what website might be good info to include.

If Chris has a website I never saw (or remember) a link? It appears in order after a request for info from Chris on building a turbine for someone.

Just saying...

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Dale S

• My smoke got out again
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »
I thought he had it in his sig line or on his profile.

[Edit] Link removed.
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2012, 11:27:26 am »
Hey Chris,  Could you give us some idea how much you would charge to build a 3.2 ferrite magnet wind turbine ? And would that include anything like the rectifier too?/  Just wondering if that might be  better than making one?

I don't typically like to advertise on forums and such because the forums are for homebuilders to build their own turbines.  If you want information on a turn-key machine please either email me or send me a PM and I'll get the info to you.
--
Chris

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2012, 02:18:12 pm »
Hey Chris,  Could you give us some idea how much you would charge to build a 3.2 ferrite magnet wind turbine ? And would that include anything like the rectifier too?/  Just wondering if that might be  better than making one?

I don't typically like to advertise on forums and such because the forums are for homebuilders to build their own turbines.  If you want information on a turn-key machine please either email me or send me a PM and I'll get the info to you.
--
Chris

Chris;

Well, you sell useful parts as well so I see no problem with a .sig line or link in your profile "website". I would encourage it, in fact.

Not like you came here just to pimp your site.

Just my opinion.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »
...so I see no problem with a .sig line or link in your profile

and

Just for the record, I agree with Tom. There's a HUGE difference between joining up with the (obviously) express purpose of pimping your stuff, and what you've done - contributed, participated, got some "runs on the board" as it were - and then offering your stuff - especially when others have asked for it, rather than you "pimping" it.

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »
...so I see no problem with a .sig line or link in your profile

and

Just for the record, I agree with Tom. There's a HUGE difference between joining up with the (obviously) express purpose of pimping your stuff, and what you've done - contributed, participated, got some "runs on the board" as it were - and then offering your stuff - especially when others have asked for it, rather than you "pimping" it.

Not to mention, it's damn good stuff and needs to be offered for sale. 
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2012, 11:39:19 am »
The thing is, most everybody that knows Kristin and I know we live off-grid and they don't understand.  I get too many requests all the time from people who think they want a wind turbine too.  The first question I get is "how much money can I save on my bill" or "my bill keeps going up".  Well, your bill is REALLY going to go up after you spend $7-10 Grand on a wind turbine installation, with excavation work, concrete, wire and trenching it in, tower, turbine, and equipment.

So I have a policy that I will only build a machine for off-grid people.  Or for somebody who has a hybrid grid/off-grid system where the off-grid system powers part of their house with RE and battery backup.  These people understand what it's all about and realize there's better reasons to have an off-grid power system than "saving money on the bill".

You will NEVER save any money on your power costs by putting in an RE system to "save money on the bill".  Even with electricity double the cost of what it is now, you will never recover your costs in equipment.  The reason has to be the lifestyle and being independent, not the money.  There's only maybe 1% of the population that has the balls to tell the utility company to go fly a kite and live totally off-grid.  Those are the people I will build a turbine for.
--
Chris

Offline WindyOne

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:13 pm »
Chris,
 After reading 8 pages of this "blog", I have these questions ...

Why did you decide to use ferrite magnets vs neo's?

Would a 2.5 times more powerful neo magnet allow the elimination of the 1:2.5 transmission?

Did having the transmission make anything easier or better?

How much of an issue is corrosion with neo's?