Author Topic: Playing / converting the 6000watt cont 18000 watt int. (power star PSW7)  (Read 28504 times)

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
I decided as I had so much solar power, it was time to buy an inverter for all those times when the power fails over here on the island.
I bought it from here :http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Gen-Power-48v-240v-18000W-6000W-Pure-Sine-Inverter-Battery-Charger-Generator-/130765900315?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e72414a1b

Yes it an elcheapo chinese Genpower 18000watt surge, 6000 continuous pure sine wave..... and it is too. It will easily pull the 6kw, and will easily start a 3hp air compressor with a full tank.... it does what it says.... the litmus test for me is how brutal a 9" angle grinder will start.....every bit as good as the mains next to the main power pole... this thing rocks.

It also acts as a charger for up to 70 amps (controllable), and it does this too.

What it does not tell you, is that you can also hook up a grid tie inverter to the output, and if your loads are less than your solar input, it will charge the batteries at the same time as acting as the current source for the solar grid tie..... this makes it very interesting indeed, as it will be the grid tie driving all the loads and charging the batteries most days until sunset.... inverter just supplies the 50 hz for the grid tie that does all the hard work... not the precious inverter...So.....

What this means is you can run 1-3kw solar panels without any controller (expensive at those powers)and at high voltage 300-400vdc... small wire.

The grid inverter will charge the batteries, run the house,do the MPPT function... and if you put a Ghurd controller on the batteries, divert the 240v from the output into a dump load/hot water, and the whole thing runs as a stand alone grid with storage, and if a huge load arrives, the sine wave inverter will carry the load/s.... neat......

Chris O tells me the inverters he has recently purchased don't do this, but Sunny island does, and actually controls the grid tie inverter as well by shifting the frequency slightly, and the grid tie will use this as a signal to either beef up the output, or turn it down (let the panel voltage rise) and so never o/charge the batteries ........more delicate than the dump load route......but they both achieve the same thing.

The other thing they don't tell you is that it draws over 200 watts on idle... choke choke....so 5kwh to run nothing for a 24hour period.

This is a serious omission to put up with.

True, with solar so cheap, it is still cheaper to throw up another 2kw of panels to cover this, and still be half the price of the fancy inverters ( they are 40-100w idle I think)..... but a bit steep even for me.

It does advertise that it can standby and auto start using only 25 watts, but the moment it turns on, that 200+ watts is always there to be paid for on top of your load...or another 4 or so amps@~50v.

So much for the bad. Aside from that they are very tough, run as they say, and I love em.... because they provide circuits of the power stages, both high and low side drivers etc, and would be very cheap to fix, as the output fets are only $40/100 on ebay and less.

So aside from the idle current, they are hands down winners and 1/5th or less than the name brands.... that cant grid tie and charge at the same time.

I also bought a dozen grid tie inverters off ebay for 900 dollars... like this ($75 each)

1967-0

As it happens, they are galvanically isolated types..... meaning to me and my purposes, they are a cheap stainless steel box, and an even cheaper toroid transformer in the multi kilowatt size.

Here is one of the toriods undressed out of that box.

1968-1

Thats over 15kg of transformer core.

You can probably see where this is going now.

Yes nearly all of that 200watts is used as magnetising current for these big transformers:

1969-2

They sport primaries of about 40 in hand of 1mm wire. They are wired in series for the primary, and parallel for the secondary.... I suspect just to halve the otherwise criminal magnetizing current they would pull in parallel primaries.

So, all we have to do is wind a transformer on the toroid core and were there.
A quick fiddle with the transformer before unwinding it shows me that it is 1 turn per volt.... handy.

We want a turns ratio of about 8:1..... so 240 turns on the secondary, and 30 turns on the primary.. simple enough when you say it quickly.

I wont go into winding 240 turns of 2mm wire onto a toroid, as it is too painful to talk about, and am open to ways and means from others.

The 30 turns of the thick welding/earth cable I used for the primaries is easy enough though. ( got that wire from some old Bergy mills on Cape Barron Island south of here).

It's first flight is here.

1970-3

The amp reading this time was not even on the scale

1971-4

yes it is turned on.... gone were the 4 amps, now we had virtually none... (only about 100ma at this stage

Measuring the waveform showed a bit of stepping in the wave, which is mitigated by a filter that can be seen dangling beside the transformer, it is a few turns of the cable through a large ferrite core, with some spacers to stop the saturation. The caps dangling about the place were there to solve a problem that didn't exist in the end. I had strange wave forms that I could not understand..... until I realised that the earth of the scope was interfering with the earth of the inverter.... and it was still plugged into the mains as well, (not turned on, but the earth was still present)...... grrr

Also I had thought that with the tight coupling, that the original 4uf cap on the output would look like a short to the fets, but this was not the case in the finish, and those testing caps are gone now.

So what does it look like....
Here it is driving a 1.5kw load(kettle)

1972-5

and the waveform (trying to capture low frequency on camera is diabolical)

1973-6

Here is a close up of the final filter:

1974-7

Here is the power board ( 1 side, the other side is a mirror sort of)

So with a 75 dollar transformer and a e core ferrite, we have now got a device that I have tuned up to 20 watts idle. I pushed up the idle current a bit to get the wave just right, but it can run well at lower quescient currents, but 400ma or so for a big inverter will do me fine... better I should think than most of the competition in fact. I can stand less than 1/2kwh for 24 hour idle consumption.... much better then before.

1975-8

I haven't driven it beyond 3kw as yet, as I don't have any loads continuous to drive.... and I don't have enough core there to make me real keen with continuous >3kw loads  .....so I don't know how far it will go, but even as a 3kw unit is it cheap as nuts, and tough and fixable.

Maybe I will put 2 toroids together ( wind as 1 so 2v/turn... I like that....120 turns:15 turns... looks much better than 240:30 from here....), and it may then emulate it's original 6000/18000 watt specs.

The computer part is isolated from the switches and their drivers.... so should be easy to fix if the board survives whatever happens.... and the importers have spare parts... unbelievable...

..................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Oz;

You obviously have way too much time on your hands! :o

Interesting stuff, nonetheless.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
Some days it's true Tomw.

Here are a few more pick of it a bit more cleaned up, but I still can't fit the top cover on it.... panel beating is next I guess.

1976-0

and the logic board

1977-1

And some of the circuits for those disposed to this type of stuff.

1978-2

1980-3

1982-4

1984-5

Tomw, the next story was only possible because of the help I received from the man in your sig line.... Zubbly

................oztules

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
Tomw, the next story was only possible because of the help I received from the man in your sig line.... Zubbly

................oztules

Oz;

Can't wait to see what you are cooking up next. He was The Man and he is missed. Too bad he left so soon, I think he had lots more to share when he passed away. :'( :(

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
Oz;

You obviously have way too much time on your hands! :o

Interesting stuff, nonetheless.

Tom

Agreed.

Wow!

G-

Offline off the wall

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
Re: Playing / converting the 6000watt cont 18000 watt int. (power star PSW7)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:00:45 pm »
Yes, thats the new primary... 30 odd turns on the original W7 Notice the power card and control card is virtually the same as the PJ... just more lights on the W7. It has a daughter board plugged in where the 20 pin ribbon plugs into the PJ control card.

................oztules

Offline off the wall

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:50:39 am »
Thanks greatly. It's me who'e village idiot.

As far as you're concerned the line between idiot and genius puts you into the category of the latter.

I'm using Power Jack - what's the thinking for giving the transformers a new primary?

I was thinking of using a 4 inch toroid for the extra inductor which would then be less cramped.

On a parallel subject, by the way, in desulphating batteries I have come to be playing with Bedini motors and the pulses from these are very short and contain an oscillation of period .4micro seconds.

Best wishes

OTW

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 05:19:57 am »
OTW;

Careful.

That site is a BS overunity place.

We specifically DO NOT allow discussion of that stuff.  The penalty is banishment.

You have been warned and the link is gone.

Period. End Quote.

( ?° ?? ?°)

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:00:38 pm »
That primary was not on a power jack transformer... it was from a grid tie inverter transformer... much much bigger then the PJ.

4" torroid is probably cored with silicon steel... we need ferrite... so probably not the right way to go.
The other problem with powder iron torroids for the filter can be saturation... making them get very hot. The E-core can have an air gap to stop that happening.... so the right ferrite rings or the e-core is the best option.

..............oztules

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
Oz Good Day!

MY coil in my PJ 8000 looks twice the size of your originals as its the only one in there and yours had 2. would you recommend I strip away my secondary and re-wrap as youve done in order to boost voltage up and stablize idle current?(i have the e-core in hand and just test my pj on some 18ah gels and according to the pj monitor it's using .34a drawing nothing.

SN
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
No, your control card will over ride anything you do with the transformer anyway. Voltage control is in the software only.
Your idle is good, and no reason to mess with it any further.

I have no idea on the new units transformer size, but some of my pj ones were pretty skimpy for the figures claimed... but so was the price :D

.................oztules

Offline jexhed

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 09:04:02 pm »
An old thread but good reading all the same. Can the W7 12v/240v 3000w/6000w inverter be modified the same way ? What Toroid windings would be required for this mod ?
John

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 12:17:51 pm »
"Can the W7 12v/240v 3000w/6000w inverter be modified the same way ? What Toroid windings would be required for this mod ?"

Yes. there is no difference except the transformer and fets and caps really..... 1/4 the primary turns for 12v versus 48v.... thats it.... and very much thicker wire.

The winding number for the torroid  will depend on the  iron cross section... and turns ratio will be about 32:1.

............oztules

Offline jexhed

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 03:58:14 pm »
I gather you removed all the wire from the "inspire"  toroid and then used the core to rewind it again ?