Author Topic: Wood is good until ....  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Dave B.

• No Personal Text Set by User
Wood is good until ....
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:21:21 pm »
I know what happened here and I'll wait for some posted replies on your opinions on these 3 photos before I post an explanation. If anyone has thoughts I think it will be interesting reading of your ideas. If you would rather email me that's fine at   bruggelog(at)netsync(dot)net   My 16' turbine here is listed in the classifieds if you want a full description of the machine. It's price just dropped $400.00.   Dave B. 

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: Wood is good until ....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:12:28 am »
Dave;

Did the prop get into the tail somehow?

Looks similar to one of my failures where the prop hit the tail but it took out all 3 blades. Shivered along the length like that. Just a thought.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Dave B.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:03:43 pm »
Well, here's the deal. I've had dramatic crashes before but this was not one. I was in the house in the evening and we had nice winds at 15-20 mph things were fine until I started hearing a buzzing that sang a tune in pitch up and down. I was positive I knew what it was and thought it was a a floor broom I have resting on the solar thermal panel racks right against the house. Sounded exactly like it was spinning, it's done it before. It got louder so I went out to move it. It was obvious the noise was from the turbine.

No big drama, the trailing edge lamination(s) of the one blade had pulled apart (no blade strike of anything ) and the blade was like a reed in a harmonica, singing happy in volume and pitch with the wind but it got ugly fast. By the time I got back inside to shut it down the blade tore apart and the trailing blade (2:00) caught the debris and ripped off the trailing lamination of that blade as well. Things got a bit flung around for a very short time while I shut it down and the furling cable got into the mix a bit then as well. No overspeed, no tower crash, no fire. I think just plain stress over time finally did them in.  It will be interesing to see everything up close when I get this back down and find some pieces, maybe. That may be a while but I'll report back on it then as well.

Wind is fun and very little drama in solar, I'm liking less drama all the time.

Thanks for the feed back.  Dave B.

Offline Dave B.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 04:02:00 pm »
Stress and time finally took it's toll on these wooden blades and they delaminated. No fault of the blades just Mother Nature wearing things out  They were very good while they lasted and went down singing, we should all be so lucky.

Dave B.