Author Topic: should have listened to Wolv  (Read 14679 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Re: should have listened to Wolv
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 03:41:29 am »
I say ditch the whole OS entirely...

There is literally nothing in terms of just casual everyday use that I haven't been able to do in nix that would happen in doze... That's not to say that there *isn't* something (and I'm sure that somewhere, there is), but I have yet to run across it. I even blatantly went against company policy and was the only clown in our depot NOT running doze, just to make the point - it can all be done. Ran like that the entire time I was there, about 2 years, and nobody said squat because I was the one that could make things happen when doze was choking on some concept... And I wasn't surrounded by idiots... We were all geeks LOL

I have 10x the trouble with my phone on *purpose built mobile sites* than I have ever had with the alternatives to IE.

These days too, it's pretty much drop in a disc and roll, you're up and going with minimal effort for everyday things like surfing the web, IRC, and checking email (particularly if you're using a web based email system such as gmail etc... nothing to configure).

Bah, but who am I kidding... It's seemingly intimidating. I'll admit... But that's part of the fun in it... taking the plunge and seeing how things can REALLY be.

FWIW... ;)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:41:26 pm »
I have never used Internet Explorer. It's been Netscape and Firefox for me and I love it. Norm you should try it.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 05:22:22 pm »
A friend of mine called me and had purchased a new computer with Winblows 8 on it and could not figure out how to use it. His computer savvy exgirlfriend was having problems helping him too. I have never seen Winblows 8 before but I downloaded the Classic Shell that Wolv suggested and headed over to my friends house to help him get started.

I was amazed at how Not Intuitive and different it was. I was thinking that I would be able to figure it out and coach my friend on the differences from WinXP which he was using before, but no, a person may be able to figure it out but I didn't have that much time to mess with it so I decided to go ahead and install Wolv's Classic Shell recommendation and see how that goes. It took me 15 minutes to find the File Manager but once there it was a simple operation to install the Shell and get restarted.

After that it stopped raining and the clouds dissipated and , wow, I was in control. The first thing I did was install FireFox and make it his default browser. Stuff was still different but I was able to quickly figure out what was going on and get my friend to a point where he could take over.

I like XP and Win7 but Win8 and Internet Explorer Blows . . .
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/13/02/19/1411246/windows-7-still-being-sold-on-up-to-93-of-british-pcs
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 02:50:05 am »
Glad it help you guys get going WooferHound.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline halfcrazy

• Central Maine
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 04:45:25 am »
Yeah I upgraded my laptop (Wait "Upgrade"????) to Widows 8 and I could not even function. Man M$ screwed the pooch by throwing away the start button, I mean how are we supposed to turn the pc off without a start button ::)

Oh well I bought Start8 for 5 bucks and now am sort of used to it but damn they filled it full of more bloat than 7. I mean there stupid PDF viewer is awful.

Ryan

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 05:03:02 am »
Come over to the daaaark side, you'll love the stability and the "it-just-works" functionality :)

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 12:55:58 pm »
I have never used Internet Explorer. It's been Netscape and Firefox for me and I love it. Norm you should try it.
Woof , this was feb 18 ....about month and a half switched over to Firefox.....getting pretty used to it now....glad I switched.
Norm.

Offline Norm

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 12:57:50 pm »
BTW How's the drill battery comin along?
Norm.

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 01:55:36 am »
Yeah I upgraded my laptop (Wait "Upgrade"????) to Widows 8 and I could not even function. Man M$ screwed the pooch by throwing away the start button, I mean how are we supposed to turn the pc off without a start button ::)

Oh well I bought Start8 for 5 bucks and now am sort of used to it but damn they filled it full of more bloat than 7. I mean there stupid PDF viewer is awful.

Ryan

Heh just saw a doze 8 commercial with 2 tablets pitted against each other. M$ had the ipad saying things like "I'm sorry, but I can only do one thing at a time, should we just play chop sticks instead?" in that creepy synth voice...  What exactly are they getting at here? Does this mean doze 8 can get more than one BSOD at once?  :o ;D

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 02:05:03 am »
What exactly are they getting at here?

"They" have never really been big on "honest" or "fair". If they can't beat the competition by outperforming them (and lets face it, they haven't come close since the 1980's) then they'll use inuendo, inference, implied limitations and anything else they can get away with in an attempt to discredit the competition.

Hmm, sounds a lot like players in another field, don't it? ;)

Offline madlabs

• Chief Bottle Washer
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 09:28:50 am »
I hate WinBlows 8. I've had it for a few months now. Only good things are that it is stable and never hard crashes and that it will run all the odd pieces of ancient software I use.

Other than that, the list of things I hate is endless.

Jonathan
Some people are like a Slinky - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 02:39:17 am »
Wow, stable?
I have only seen one machine so far that can come close to that label.

Certainly not descriptive of my normal experience with it though.
Show floor and several home "8" devices have been unstable, ( many were brand new now more than a few hours old system(s)).
All failing in different and totally unpredictable ways.

As far as win 8 tablets go,  they task swap very similar to any other OS on tablet hardware.
Nothing special about how it handles anything compared to others at all, just to me it is more irritating .
But then, IOS and Android have their downfalls,
IOS... only lets you have what Apple thinks is good for you, * flash missing*  ( partially rectified by a jailbreak)
Android, still needs rooting on big name devices, but restrictions in the play store are much more lax.
My biggest beef with ALL of these three is the lack of a good terminal emulation.
Maemo does this VERY well but is a dead OS, hence my ravenous protection of my n900, and refusal to change phones.

I cant wait until a linux distro ( like ubuntu) gets ported to work well on a droid. Just hope they dump that ubuntu on crap. 

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Norm

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 07:15:07 am »
What would you think would be the easiest machine and OS that you
can imagine and simplest for a beginner to get ?
Norm

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 07:30:03 am »
What would you think would be the easiest machine and OS that you
can imagine and simplest for a beginner to get ?
Norm

Norm;

I just use a dumb phone who needs all that other crap to make a damned phone call?

Just sayin.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline madlabs

• Chief Bottle Washer
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 08:48:38 am »
I've only run 8 on one machine, an asus laptop. And I do have to stay stable. The other thing is a reasonable start up time. Those are the only reason I haven't tried to stuff a different OS into the laptop.

Other than that though, I hate 8 with the passion of a thousand white hot suns....

JOnathan
Some people are like a Slinky - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.