Author Topic: Drill to help carving  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Purpc

Drill to help carving
« on: November 29, 2012, 04:19:29 pm »
When I started making a small blades for testing propose, when carving the wood i was afraid of cutting too wood from the shape, then I went for my CAD system , draw the shape ,according 'Hugh Piggott'   2009 book and print on paper , then i notice that if i mark a point and measure the hight between the top of the wood and the shape with my clipper, i can drill a hole with that high and make a guide point to finish the shape. More holes more points and more guides, to ideal shape.

Example:

With this technique, I managed to make the blades well balanced.

Anyone have some 3D cad blades to 2.4 meters diameter, have the ability to use a router but I need 3d, preferably of Hugg Piggot´s technic or a tested ones that work on TSR 7-8

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Drill to help carving
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:31:56 pm »
Hi Purpc....

how does this work ? ...is it a cnc machine ..that cuts up and down the wood blank profile ?

more pics maybe ?

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 02:07:47 am »
G'day soon I'll have my cnc finished and I'll do a G-code to carve blades so I will be happy to upload the G-code file.

Now if you have already done one share it please, my cnc will only do 600mm on the X axis so it will be a 3 step proccess and it will be fun.

Cheers Bryan

Offline Purpc

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:44:31 pm »
Hi Purpc....

how does this work ? ...is it a cnc machine ..that cuts up and down the wood blank profile ?

more pics maybe ?

This technique works well with the method of Hugh Piggot, but also on similar.

Divide the wood into equal parts and mark them, i divide in 100mm parts.

Prints the shape or draw of each zone that you mark.

Search on the image two dimensions, preferably in exact mm, not in 0.5mm, as in the image, make a point on line previously do, for example on the image there is 50mm from the leading edge, so i mark a point on the wood , 50mm from the leading edge.

Put a drill on a HandDrill, those drills for steel, not that ones for wood with the flat tip, put a drill for example 20mm outside the nose.
Now to drill the hole with 4mm, pick up 16 washers and put ond drill , the drill now only can drill 4mm, the washers are 1mm tickness, drill the hole where you mark the 50 mm, repeat the technique for all the holes you do.

5ª when you began to remove the wood that is in excess, you're checking looking to the hole, naturally when these near of final form, you just see a small point.

Hi Purpc....

more pics maybe ?

Yes is a CNC machine, whith Mastercam and the 3D draw, i create the path to the machine.

G'day soon I'll have my cnc finished and I'll do a G-code to carve blades so I will be happy to upload the G-code file.

Now if you have already done one share it please, my cnc will only do 600mm on the X axis so it will be a 3 step proccess and it will be fun.

Cheers Bryan

I just need the 3d  file, your g-code file are for your situacion, mine have 1000mm x 500mm of table, so i can get on diagonal alignment almost 1100 mm
thanks, if you need the program path i can generate one for you, i need to now the table sizes, tool or tools dimensions, wood dimensions and what type of G-code your machine works

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:50:10 pm »
sounds interesting Purpc....

i think i see what you mean by the 20mm bit with the washers to set the depth...if you could do a utube vid at some stage that would be interesting to watch ...

jigs and automation are interesting for blades ....