Author Topic: My New Solar tracker in the making  (Read 9426 times)

Offline brucedownunder

• No Personal Text Set by User
My New Solar tracker in the making
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:37:06 pm »

Constructing my Solar Tracker

I had a Solar Tracker that I made 8 years ago with 2 x 110 watt  and 2 X 60 watt --It was good , but my big tree shaded it in the afternoon and during the winter in the morning ,it took til 10-11am to get sun..

So, along came a 7 foot surf boat trailer axle ,trailer was rusted out .  I got the axle ,hubs, fully galvanized for $50 .

next was to set up and construct a Solar Tracker for my recently won 4 X 220 watt Sharp solar modules  from E-Bay (98 cents per watt ,brand new panels)

I have plenty of 3x3x1/4 gal angle steel from a tv tower up-grade ,so out came the steel saw and welder and away we go ...

The subframe ,under the solar panel frame has been made around the 7 foot axle length . This axle allows the panels to "track-the-sun" .

The vertical mount was a 4 inch steel gal pipe 8 feet long mounted into a foundation of concrete . into this pipe I engineered a ford car rear axle and hub , with the brake drum used as a mount for the Elevation frame --so now we have ,1 rotational , 2 vertical , and "follow the sun" overhead movement .(using the 8 foot axle)

first Photo --setting up the steelwork.

After constructing the steel work ,I made  aluminium blocks to attach to the frame . These are rubber insulated from the gal steelwork and give a bit of "cushioning " to the al frame of the solar panels when they are bolted down ..

I fitted the panels to see if all is ok -NO- had to add 2 X side angles for added strength -the panels were sort of minor twisting -this fixed that ..

I've dug a trench and run 2 X  16 mm building type electrical cables  plus a 12 wire conrtol multipair cable for anything that may need controlling later. +  a draw rope for additional stuff.

The whole frame rotates very smoothly in all directions and is rigid.

I have not bought the actuators yet ,but have fitted a 6 foot long screw pipe(1 inch right and left hand threaded screw shafts inside a 1.5 inch gal pipe with the nuts welded at each end ,(came off a 6 Mtr. satellite dish elevation adjustment rod.

Offline DaveW

Re: My New Solar tracker in the making
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:19:21 pm »
Bruce - impressive.  And now on to the tracker I presume.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:04:06 pm »
Very nice work Bruce.
Looks like it's built seriously heavy!!
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:59:16 am »
   Robust---love it.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:35:37 am »
Look great!

"but have fitted a 6 foot long screw pipe(1 inch right and left hand threaded screw shafts inside a 1.5 inch gal pipe with the nuts welded at each end"
Is that for seasonal adjustment?

One senior user went through quite a few actuators.  I thought maybe something like that, with a sprocket welded on the screw pipe, driven by a gear motor, may be more robust than dish actuators.  (No, I don't have a clue how the motor would be mounted)
G-

Offline dang

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:37:54 am »
About the only thing I see to add...

Across each bearing/pivot point and the sets of unwelded bolted mechanical connections do provide a supple ground strap with dissimilar metal assembly paste. Any delay in grounding surges from lightning increases the chances it will be inducted at higher strengths into your controls or power out lines...

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others" - Anonymous

Offline brucedownunder

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:53 am »
Thanks Dan ,

I have been thinking about that earthing stage-- have some copper covered steel earthing rods from one of my beer-exchange trips to the local electricity depot.

One day I'll  get around to earthing my radio tower , connect a strap across the beam rotator ,and then the antenna.   The solar tracker will be sort of the same type of work ..

I've got a tube of that yellow gunk stuff for between the Aluminium and steel/copper -- gee, must be 15 years old ,that stuff.

Cheers.

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:43:54 am »
Very nice!  8)

Just one question... You gonna be out my way at some point? Thinking a little something for the van...  ;D

If nothing else, a vanity plate that reads "GOT SOLR" would be appropriate hahaha

Keep up the good work man. Love it ;)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline jack11

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:37 pm »
mobile home axles work well for this, I've used them before.

they are longer than truck axles, about 10'
strong 3" tube
big hub with 8 threaded bolt holes for mounting
usually discarded once the mobile home has been placed on permanent location

Offline Seth7

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 12:11:42 am »
Nice ... blows away my old setup ...