Author Topic: Wind Power News  (Read 16393 times)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Wind Power News
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:53:56 pm »
Here is a Wind Power news site with very current information . . .

http://www.winddaily.com/
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline madlabs

• Chief Bottle Washer
Re: Wind Power News
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:43:56 pm »
Good reading. Thanks for the link.

Jonathan
Some people are like a Slinky - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:04:43 pm »
Thanks Woof,
In your original post, one article on the bottom of the page caught my interest.....
"Wind farms: A danger to ultra-light aircraft?" :o
 ROFLMAO!

If an ultralight pilot gets close enough to wind turbines of that size, he deserves to be eliminated from the gene pool. ;)

Offline Purpc

Wind Power News
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:35:49 am »
omniflow

NO commercial links until you have participated awhile, please

Nice ideia.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:13 pm »

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:59:04 am »
  Interesting Woof, first off, thanks.
  It brings up many thoughts, like, are the ones that are sick the same ones that opposed the installation in the first place?
  Are the illnesses provable?
  Jet engine like noise--been fairly close to a lot of turbines, small, and large, and haven't heard that myself.  Bad installation?,
running away?, many questions.
  There have been many studies, by reputable people/company's that do not support these findings.
  The statement that the State should share in the blame/cost because they pushed it is interesting as well.
  Before I slip into rant mode, ;)  I'll just repeat, Interesting, and thanks Woof.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:35:53 pm »
theres a few wind farms close to me on elevated ground (mostly , but not completely away from people ) , they have pretty much open access to the public....the " jet engine " noise is a bit of a stretch , they do have a loud swishing sound in high wind and transformer hum ....but the wind itself is usually as loud at that level ....

interesting that blade flicker was,nt mentioned at all ?.......

the sawmill that used to be across the road....now that was noise .. :o   

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:45:03 pm »
Yeah great points BJ.
I HAVE heard very very loud flutter from an extremely large turbine in a valley.
It was very disconcerting to say the least. It was a valley and it was very low compression waves that reflected in the valley.
This is in Colorado so the Dans in the other forum likely know of it.
I would have moved if I lived there.
I can see the pain of losing a long term home too, but in this case I have trouble believing the claims.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:52:12 pm »
Seems to me that there's something to this... It isn't the first story of its kind that I've read about...

Lets assume for a moment that its all 100% true... Headaches, blood pressure issues, heart murmurs, etc, all coming from chronic exposure to the force, Luke.

A few questions come up...

At what point do these effects become a serious problem? Turbine diameter, wind speed, distance from the "victim", proximity of turbines to structures/each other, and so on.

I'd like to think that this isn't just more BS from big brother oil, but its entirely possible that they are just having a ball with this; it's no secret that they don't like renewables.

If it is in fact real, then these problems need to be addressed. One thing that comes to mind is just flat out not building them in any proximity to any kind of civilization, and likewise, civilization not moving into their neighborhood either.

Once you eliminate the "tunnel vision" of energy companies and they stop building them near developed areas, its then up to society to make good judgment calls and stay away from them as well.

I look at it the same way as I look at natural phenomena, because lets face it, once built, a giga-turbine is for all purposes and intents, a permanent part of the landscape. The pros and cons must be dealt with just as if they were growing out of the ground from a teensie windmill seed.

If the ground shaking scares you, stay away from the San Andreas fault. Don't like hurricanes? Avoid the coasts. Tornadoes tore up your teepee? Get out of Topeka. Only a nut job lives at the bottom of a smoking mountain, so nuff said there. Visit the area before you move somewhere. Observe your surroundings. Hang out near your final destination and observe the environment for a few days/nights. THEN decide to move in.

Wind is likely to prove to be one of the best forms of RE from what I can tell... Better embrace it.  On the other side of that same coin, don't "sell out" the very thing that brought you to your settlement in the first place if you're approached by a turbine advocate out on your ranch. You're in control. There's no reason they can't "pipe" it to you, they've been doing it with coal, gas, and uranium for years. Tell them you don't want their excuses if you're worried about it.

And RE companies that install these gigantor wonders of the modern world, get with it. There's a zillion square miles in Kansas where nobody wants to live, and the wind blows ruthlessly and regularly, in wide open plains... Put them up there, not in everyones back yard.

The ocean is another good place for them, and its been shown to be that way. Go for it, as far as I'm concerned.

And treehuggers? They need to go away; NOTHING is worse than oil. I'm so sick of hearing bird strike this and visual pollution that. Get over it.

RE is here to stay, and we all need to figure out how to deal with the pitfalls just as we have with the fossil fuels. There will be challenges with any source of juice...

/rant

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 03:49:10 pm »

Windfarm sickness spreads by word of mouth, Australian study finds . . .
Health complaints from people living around turbines shown to be psychological effect of anti-wind lobby making people worry

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/mar/15/windfarm-sickness-spread-word-australia

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 10:00:08 pm »
I bet this will go back and forth for a while... Until the conspiracy theorists show up and say everyone is full of it, then its back to decide for yourself.

I've seen "cons" sites on solar and thought wow, really?

Be interesting to see how it turns out. ;)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 08:47:29 am »
Japan breaks China's stranglehold on rare metals with sea-mud bonanza
Japanese scientists have found vast reserves of rare earth metals on the Pacific seabed that can be mined cheaply, a discovery that may break the Chinese monopoly on a crucial raw material needed in hi-tech industries and advanced weapons systems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/9951299/Japan-breaks-Chinas-stranglehold-on-rare-metals-with-sea-mud-bonanza.html

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 03:15:50 pm »
Great news!
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Google Acquires Kite-Power Generator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 08:34:55 pm »