Author Topic: Solar News  (Read 23433 times)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
Re: Solar News
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 05:30:52 pm »
Sure is.  absolutely amazing feat.
Seeing it on the runway gives good perspective on how long those wings are.
Thanks for the share
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 05:15:42 pm »
The Swiss team trying to fly a solar-powered plane around the world has abandoned its effort for this year.
Its Solar Impulse vehicle's batteries were damaged on the last leg of the journey from Japan to Hawaii and will take several months to repair

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33538442
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
New efficent batteries are comming
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 10:28:57 am »

Offline bj

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 06:17:19 am »
  Good read Woof.  The Sodium Magnesium was especially interesting if can get the
prices down.
  Many thanks
bj

Offline junglejoe39

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 11:08:37 pm »
My stuff is workin pretty good. Of course Im Polish and that makes a difference. I think the electrons flow better.

Offline ndiakon

• AccessEnergo
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 02:11:47 pm »
Have you guys heard about the law the Congress passed about extending a tax credit for solar till 2021? It will remain 30% till 2019, then drop down to 26% in 2020 and then drop down more to 22% in 2021. If this is true, there will be a huge growth of the industry within a few years!

Offline ndiakon

• AccessEnergo
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2015, 01:52:27 pm »
Solar energy from discarded car batteries
MIT researchers have developed a simple procedure for making a promising type of solar cell using lead recovered from discarded lead-acid car batteries — a practice that could benefit both the environment and human health. As new lead-free car batteries come into use, old batteries would be sent to the solar industry rather than to landfills. And if production of this new, high-efficiency, low-cost solar cell takes off — as many experts think it will — manufacturers’ increased demand for lead could be met without additional lead mining and smelting. Laboratory experiments confirm that solar cells made with recycled lead work just as well as those made with high-purity, commercially available starting materials. Battery recycling could thus support production of these novel solar cells while researchers work to replace the lead with a more benign but equally effective material.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 12:08:07 pm »
Do you have a link to an article ndiakon?

This brings about a few thoughts.

It's interesting reading that batteries end up in a landfill.
It is downright illegal in many.. most? states in the USA to throw a lead acid car battery into a landfill. Recycling these batteries is encouraged also by surcharges to new car batteries, offset or reimbursed if you bring one in for trade. There is also a very well developed recycling system and practice in the USA for such batteries. Lead is one of the few things in recycling besides aluminum and some other metals that pays back enough to make it quite profitable.  I can't speak for other countries, but if the current profit margin brought about by recovered lead is not enough to discourage improper disposal already, I doubt this tech will help in that regard much.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
France to make a 1000km road with solar panels
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 09:15:09 am »
Ségolène Royal, France’s minister of ecology and energy, has said that the government intends to pave 1,000km of road with photovoltaic panels in the next five years, supplying power to millions of people.

http://www.globalconstructionreview.com/trends/france-pa7ve-1000km-ro7ad-so7lar-panel7s/

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 05:32:51 pm »
As I see it, for me the reason I have not gone Solar in the U.S. is that just the panels I need to operate my home in a manner that is just a cut above what Mad is always talking about, ie., not wasting even RE, is because solar panels that I need are well over $300 each and I need 20 to meet my needs. $6000 plus shipping??? batteries that cost as much as a single panel if you want a long lasting AGM maybe even more if you want the AH.

China, same number of panels $1600 (see Alibaba.com pretty much anything you need as long as you find a shipping forwarder, no brainer I guess, any question ask because minimums etc look confusing)for a total of 5000w plus shipping plus the 200-300% Tariff. The U.S. is always adding tariffs to keep out the reasonably priced products and then it feels as though the American greed steps in knowing there's no competition. So....I ordered my panels from China but not shipped to the U.S., to my retirement home south of Manila Philippines $1600+$200 shipping and $78 for the very cute and accommodating Customs Broker.

I have not looked at batteries on Alibaba yet but i believe I will be quite pleased. My panels come with a 25 year warranty from a company that has done quite well supplying and installing in Dubai and other rich Arab states. BlueSun has a nice young lady named Anna whi can help out with all your needs and they have in-house engineers who can tailor any system for you if your not sure what your doing.

As far as technology goes I think that the new ideas always take too long to come to fruition or never take off because of the lack of money. Lobbyist may kill the new tech out of berkley uc just to help the big boys stay in business with the old tech.

If I seem bitter, I am. If I need some correcting or anyone feels I'm wrong I welcome discussion because I may learn something and find I was wrong or just find a new perspective. I have learned more in the last few days from people like Oztules and others than I have in the last few years of trying to go solar. if someone on here is patient enough to learn me some new electronics and I can get my head wrapped around it woohoo!

also as a side note: the Philippines does not impose a tariff or customs tax on renewable energy be it solar or electric tricycles like my wifes or electric shuttles, the philippines has lots of incentives and credits. if I can figure out how to pump some back to Meralco the national power campany they will give me credit that I can use later should typhoon season just block the sun for too long.(wind mill anyone?) eBay has some nice 3 phase pm wind mills under $800.

I got my PowerJack inverter with built in solar charger woohoo! Smart generator coming soon.
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Solar panels that also make electricity from the Rain
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 05:02:36 pm »

Offline bj

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 07:10:29 am »
Most interesting Woof.  Went so far as to read the original article, which was largely
over my head.  ;)
As always, thanks for the share
bj

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 08:04:15 pm »
Hey Woof

what about acid rain? ::) work better or break it down?

Seriously
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Company develops a solar cell with 26.6% efficiency
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 12:05:25 am »
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/03/japanese-company-develops-a-solar-cell-with-record-breaking-26-efficiency/

The silicon-based cells that make up a solar panel have a theoretical efficiency limit of 29 percent, but so far that number has proven elusive. Practical efficiency rates in the low-20-percent range have been considered very good for commercial solar panels. But researchers with Japanese chemical manufacturer Kaneka Corporation have built a solar cell with a photo conversion rate of 26.3 percent, breaking the previous record of 25.6 percent. Although it’s just a 2.7 percent increase in efficiency, improvements in commercially viable solar cell technology are increasingly hard-won.