Bryan, after a short time of practice rewinding these motors is rather less trouble than you might think.
I've done countless rewinds.. like this trolling motor refit..
I changed the voltage, and went from copper clad to full copper.
This added a LOT of available power, so I changed out the prop to make use of it.
Yeah it might be non standard in how its wound, but it was something zubbs said should work for this particular application to make the winding all fit easier. It was a tad thicker wire, and few more turns each. This was first dipped in epoxy a couple times to replace the need for cardboard insulators etc, then again after it was wound.
Yup another one of my Zubbly guided adventures, and it worked (works) fantastic.
Sorry I guess I didn't get the best of pictures back then.