Author Topic: Black Bears in Ohio  (Read 17863 times)

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
Black Bears in Ohio
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:29:20 am »
Just read in the paper today that black bears are moving into
Ohio... so I think first off, not likely for me to encounter one
we don't go camping anymore.
If I did meet one I wouldn't be able to outrun it not at 35mph. !
Not allowed to harm or kill one.... big fine or jail time (endangered species)
 ( but thinking like some sportsmen....  BS shoot the SOB !  Right ?)
Personally ....thinking far out...If I were to talk about getting a gun
I don't think the wife would buy that story.....LOL
just a few thoughts for this morning.....

Norm.

Offline David HK

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Black Bears in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:44:07 am »
Norm,

You have not told us where the bears are coming from.

Why worry about bears. In Florida they have alligators - nasty horrible things - they are.

Just imagine if Tyrannosaurus Rex fronted up on your doorstep tomorrow morning. Your peashooter pistols would probably not make a dent on it.

The bears are probably looking for Ghurd!

Dave in HK

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:50:54 am »
Ghurd has the right to Bear Arms

----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:58:32 am »
Norm;

Simple strategy to avoid being eaten by a bear:

Just go out with someone YOU can outrun.

Or carry a small caliber pistol which won't stop the bear but will slow your companion when you shoot them in the knee.

Who says small caliber weapons are not much use, anyway?

Bottom line is you don't have to outrun the bear you just need to outrun any companions.

:D ;D :o

Personally, in bear country, I would be packing a large caliber magnum with good jacketed hollow points rounds in it. Oh, hell, who am I kidding? I do that anyway.  :o

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline 97fishmt

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:57:09 pm »
This guy sure would have made a nice rug.
I saw him a couple weeks ago.  I'm going to the
gun store today after talking with the woman, she's alright
with it now.  I wish I would of got a better photo,  it might have
given me more of an excuse to get a bigger gun.

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:49:33 pm »
lots of bears around town these last few years--cops had to go in a shoot a few of them--took five shots to bring one little black bear down--no idea what kind of ammo they use...    when im out hiking i also have noticed a lot of scat on the  trails--more than normal..found a few remains of sheep as well..i carry a ruger 44mag with me
when im out and about...heres a shot i put in the local rag...just click on the  right of the pic. to advance to the next one...might have to go throu  a few to see mine..
just a few shots of sheep ive incountered...
 http://www.adn.com/2008/06/18/v-gallery/440558/the-good-bad-and-ugly-of-anchorage.html#id=2517964&view=large_view

just do it

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »
@hiker;

Beautiful, wild country up there.

Thanks for the share.

@97fishmt;

I know I need fresh glasses but I can't seem to find a bear in that photo?

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline 97fishmt

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:33:47 pm »
Hi Tom,

I know...  He's about 100 yards down the hill.  That's why I sent the picture full sized.

If you click on the picture then click on it again it will magnify it and he is to the right of
the trees in the foreground further down the hill.  Nice color for a black bear huh?

I went to the gun store and really don't know what I'm looking for.  I want something
the missus can handle.  The guy was showing me a .357 revolver but I think I would
like something with a clip so I could have extra clips with me for ease of reloading.

He sure was a cool site out my kitchen window.   He was all the way down the hill when
I finally got the camera out and went over to the edge to get a picture of him.

Mike

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:18:01 pm »
@97fishmt;

I would definitely NOT go below a .357 Magnum for bear proofing. That eliminates the .38 special, 9 mm, .380 and the like.

There is a semi auto called a .357 Sig which might qualify for that use but I have never even seen one let alone fired one. There  is also the .40 cal in semi autos but I read mixed reviews on it for stopping power.

It is a bit of a large pistol in the full size versions but you can have plenty of stopping power in hand with a Colt 1911 or copy in .45 ACP. Plenty of punch, magazines easily carried to load on the run as it were.  It might be a bit raw for a smaller person but it will definitely provide real firepower in hand. It Can use 7 to 10 plus round magazines depending on the version. If 7 doesn't stop whatever is after you, another 10 in a magazine may not matter. I always say it is not about the rounds available it is about placement. These are very common, simple, reasonably accurate, durable, battle proven and ammo is easily found because there are probably hundreds of thousands  of them in use.

I prefer revolvers for woods carry for lots of reasons and have a big ole Colt Anaconda in .44 Mag and of I can't stop it with six from that thing at close range it likely can't be stopped by any common handgun. My wife refuses to fire it because it has a lot of recoil but a "full size" guy like me doesn't mind the kick.

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:05 pm »
It still took me some time to find it on my cell on the big pic, so I am posting this for those without a big screen

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 10:41:43 pm »
Finally spotted the bear in the pic 97fishmt was looking for a black bear
instead of a brown one.....very nice pics hiker1 really awesome !
thanks for the share guys !
Norm.

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 04:19:48 am »
G'day Guy's,
                    While looking thru Hikers pic's and yea there are some really nice scene pic's there are also a heap of goat pic's. As I was going thru each pic and saying nother goat nother goat the missus asked what I was looking at. When I told her pic's of alaska taken by the public her reply on the goats was well the women folks are in short numbers up there so.......

Anyway great pic's all the same and our young girls love the moose pic's.

Cheers Bryan

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 05:49:57 am »
While looking thru Hikers pic's ....

I was expecting you to warn them about our dropbears.
Looked to me like you'd need about a football team of those black bears to match one of our dropbears :)

Offline DBCollen

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 09:51:15 am »
We do a lot of bear hunting here, the black bears are quite docile and afraid of people. We have even treed them with our horses while gathering cattle. My friend Jim is kind of crazy, he wants to rope one just to see what it will do, he thinks he and the horse will get chewed on but he is ok with that. He is the type of guy who will probably actually do it. We use mostly 30-30s, I also use my 454 casull pistol and carbine, but they are overkill. My girlfriend shot hers last year with a 243.
Dustin.

Offline DBCollen

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 11:03:26 am »
Here is my bear from last year, he weighed 420lbs field dressed, I crawled on my belly into a brush thicket within 10 feet of him where the hounds had him bayed up. I shot at him and missed (hit a branch) and he almost ran me over leaving the brush, the dogs treed him a few hundred yards away, and I didn't miss again. He was an interesting bear, he was quite old and had been tagged in both ears, so he was a problem bear from somewhere relocated to our area. He had nothing but pears in his belly, and the dogs started him in a pear orchard. One of my friend who I hunt with has been bear hunting over 50 years and is a federal game tracker, and he has never caught a tagged bear before, so I decided he was special enough to make a rug from. 
Dustin.