Author Topic: Blade station templates for "otherpower" style blades?  (Read 17052 times)

Offline Bio Diesel Man

Re: Blade station templates for "otherpower" style blades?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:10 pm »
Hey Chris,  Just wondering what you think about the performance of your carved wood blades compared to the blades you are buying?? Is there much difference in overall output??   Just wondering,, Duff,   Bio Diesel Man 

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:54 pm »
It's better.  Here's that 3.5 meter set running balls out at 400-450 rpm.  I never thought it was possible to get 39 kWh from a 3.5 meter turbine in one day.  But this thing did it yesterday.  According to the Classic controller's logs it averaged 1,629 watts for 37 hours straight.

--
Chris

Offline Bio Diesel Man

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2012, 07:52:52 am »
Chris,  Thanks for the video and the quick reply about your wood home built blades. I am working on my turbine as time will allow.. Got the stator bracket cut out the other day  and working on getting it mounted to the turbine body..Got to machine keyways in the generator shaft for the 20 1/2 inch magnet rotors and weld the claws on each magnet rotor..I hope this machine will produce 3 to 4KW average output in a 20 to 25 MPH wind..   Just experminting as I go.. Thanks again for your input and videos.. Duff  Bio Diesel Man

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Blade problem solved!
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2012, 11:43:44 am »
Well, Chris set me up with a set of blades for this machine so I guess the topic drift is good.

Here they are in the shipping crate 72 inches long finished with automotive paint and clear coated:

Out of the crate:

Mocked up with clamps to mark bolt holes:

They measure 148 inches or 12 feet 4 inches diameter as shown.

Just what  I have going on for replacement blades.

I have a stainless steel bowl that fits the hub pretty well and might  put it on there for looks.

The head is mounted on the tower stub thanks to a couple brutes we hire for grunt work.  I could not lift it and control it well enough to slip it on the stub. I tried and can move the thing but that is about it. Not only heavy but awkward with no real hand holds.

I just need to paint the tail and bore holes in the blades for bolts and balance it and I am ready to hoist it back into the air.

Tilting it up is a one man operation with the grip hoist and my "well planned" guy placement. ;D 8)

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2012, 04:05:24 pm »
Almost celebration time.  :)
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:34 pm »
You don't realize how much you miss the power until something goes wrong with a turbine, or controller, or something else that leaves you short.  In the summer time it's not too bad.  But I know in the winter when I lower a turbine because I'm swapping it out with a new design, or trying something new - it's like, get that thing back up and running - we need the power!!!!
--
Chris