Author Topic: Yaskawa Servo motor  (Read 11047 times)

Offline bvan1941

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Yaskawa Servo motor
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 11:39:07 pm »
Ksouers,
Glad to see you are having fun! Have you made any more progress? You might try a set of "POWERMAX" blades, they are fast, good quality and pretty inexpensive ($117 for 9' blades with hub and spinner). Look at Chris Olsen's comments about these blades.

On the subject of possible friction after removing the brake assy. I had a little friction more than I thought was normal too. I tapped the shaft with a plastic faced mallet to nuetralize what I thought was excessive pressure caused by the "press fit" between the bearing and the bearing race after assembly. It did make some difference. My suggestion may or may not apply in your case but it's worth a try.

Some good advice given me by both Mike and Adam (Servo W/T experts in my opinion) is consider Servo specs that have: low rpm's, higher voltages and wattage ratings. higher voltage and low rpm's will give you more power at lower rpm's associated with wind speeds between 8-25 mph. You must be able to get the voltage at the lowest rpm's possible for good W/T performance.

I'm not an expert but I believe the Servo's will do very well with someone trying to have good performance with minimal investment and experience.

I haven't had a chance to finish my Servo W/T as I'm fighting Cancer BUT (got all the parts) -- Things may be looking better for me to get my project back on track this coming year.

Glad to have another Servo experimenter to discuss things with. Best of luck----

Bill

Offline bvan1941

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 01:07:07 pm »
Ksouers,

"Mike and Adam" I was referring to are---  "Birdhouse/Adam and 97Fishmt/Mike" Look for their Servo inputs over the past 3-4 years on this and other Windpower Forums. They have very important 1st hand knowledge, experiences and advice with turning Servos into very productive W/T's !
Best advice I can offer,
Bill

Offline ksouers

• Missouri, USA
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 04:41:03 pm »
Hi Bill,
Yes, I knew who you were referring to. I followed both of their threads.

Thanks for the inquiry. I haven't really done anything with the servo yet. I really don't have a place to fly it. My test stand isn't big enough for it, it won't handle the weight. Though I have put some foam test blades on it to try to determine what size it would need but there hasn't been enough wind and sitting on a bench down low doesn't really help.

Anyway, so far I think I'll need a 6 foot turbine to get adequate power out of it. 4 foot is really too small and 5 just barely makes it do anything in light wind. So it will have to wait until we acquire our retirement property and start building. Maybe in the next couple years. I was able to clean up the goo that held the bearings in, that help some to get them aligned. Haven't tried tapping tapping the shaft, though I have fiddled with the case alignment a bit and torquing the bolts down (order, torque).

Cancer, man that sucks :(  Best of luck. I have a friend recovering from colon cancer and tumors on the liver. So far he's doing OK.

Kevin

As far from the city as I can get but still keep my job.

Offline lakesidepark

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:14 am »
I have a few of these motors, and a project I have built to use it. I just have to wait for the place to set it up.

The stator of that motor is completely sealed, almost impossible to get to the connections to try anything different than star / parallel coil original arrangement. I disassembled a 05A2AB and tried to remove the plastic / epoxy stator casting on the rear to expose the junctions. I did  find them, but damaged coil connections at the same time. It wonh't melt or burn off, I could only heat and chisel or grind it off. SO don't bother.

The shaft drag may be the front shaft seal, and the bearings are very stiff due to the type of grease inside. I used the flanges from the destroyed 05A2AB and flushed the bearings and replaced it with a lighter oil. Used them for shaft bearings on a tower. I don't think you need to do it, the bearings will probably never die if they are not tampered with. And that front shaft bearing is a monster, rated for high radial and axial loading (i.e. throw a big prop on that thing). The bearing pictured is the rear shaft bearing, but note that large shaft diameter on the front, the bearing that fits that is 32mm ID (1.25") and over 3 inches OD.

Below is a picture of a disassembled 05A2AB (same series as yours / no brake / 450 watt size) and an open 09DA1S (same specs as yours / older series / double the size). I also have one identical to yours without the brake. The rotor of the 450 has two offset rows of 8 magnets. I never pulled the rotor from the older 850 or the newer one.

I did make a simple bench test of several of these motors using a variable drill, a clicker and stopwatch, and a fluke meter. Not scientific but at least gave me a basis to compare the motors. From my test your motor will reach charging voltage (for 12V app) at around 200RPM. The results may be current-limited because I used load resistors with 50W rating, and the upper speeds exceeded that wattage, producing a thermal generation at the testing component that could be registered on touch-sensor (i.e. it burned my finger). This means upper measurements may be lower than actual possible output at the given RPM (I hope).

And a picture of the new 450 and 850 with specs for them and additional 450 and 750 small / 3000RPM motors:

What I didn't include in the tests were results of re-wiring the older 850 motor (large frame) to a star / series coil configuration. As expected, it tripled the output voltage. Gonna use that one on a VAWT with a 1:1.7 ratio chain drive.
If you have a choice between an older motor and a newer one of the same wattage, and the size difference is not an issue, the older one may be more adaptable - depending on your application I guess.

Offline lakesidepark

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 09:04:24 am »
FYI when you take the rear cap off you may pull the front shaft or bearing back while doing it. If they dont go back forward, the bearing in the rear may be loading up, and if they go too far, it may be preloading that large front bearing.

To reassemble, tap shaft from the rear on the encoder / brake shaft end to seat the front bearing and shaft full forward, finish assembly (making sure the thrust spring washer is in place behind the rear bearing), then tap the shaft lightly from the front to loosen any preload, but not to collapse the spring in the rear.

The front bearing seats to the front flange from the back side. You can remove the front shaft seal plate (three allen screws) and see the front side of the bearing to make sure it is fully seated forward.

That should get it right.

Offline ksouers

• Missouri, USA
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 10:17:11 am »
Hey, thanks Lakeside. That's a lot of good information.
I'll have to take some time to digest it. Brain works a little slow at this age  ::)

I didn't try tapping the shaft around. Just wiggling the casing making sure I didn't put anything in a bind when tightening it up.
I'll have to give that a shot.

Kevin
As far from the city as I can get but still keep my job.

Offline Fendel

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 10:03:29 am »
Hi all, my first message.

I am from Brazil, and for many years I am trying to put an wind generator on the air...

I use a weg servo 1,6 kW, 2000 rpm, i = 8A, i max 40A, 230V, 8 poles.

At 400 rpm it makes 45V, free.
At 600 rpm, 26 V, 19,2 A, 5020W with a dum load of 2 ohm
At 770 rpm 55 V, 13,1 A, 720 W - 5 ohm.

Although the motor is rated for 8A, in heavy wind, as a generator, I think it can run at 16A, or even more...