Author Topic: Battery Bank Balance  (Read 25279 times)

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Re: Battery Bank Balance
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 12:22:29 pm »
Chris, looking at your diagram, it looks to me like the batteries closest to the buss bars will take most of the load and most of the charge.

That's just an example diagram showing 8 batteries.  I have 24 and there is a "tap" to the bus every two batteries on each parallel string.

It worked flawlessly yesterday with both good sun and wind.  The bank was a bit thirsty after the previous day and we generated 44 kWh with solar and wind.  The bank was floating by about 2:00 in the afternoon and it stayed perfectly dead even all day between the two strings during bulk, absorb and float.

This morning when we got up the bank was down to 25.0 volts and still dead even between the two strings.

I really think it's going to work fine.  I'll know more when we get a few poor days in a row and pull it down to 60-65%, then get a good day when it bulk charges at 200+ amps for several hours.
--
Chris

Chris, what does your ammeter show going to or from each battery?  Are they all equal?
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »
The ammeter only shows total bus input amps from the wind and solar.  It doesn't show what's going to each battery.  But batteries in parallel will only "draw" what they require at the particular charge voltage they're at.  The voltage is the same across the entire string, even at very high charge amps.  I have #4 interconnects on the parallel part, and each interconnect is only about 14" long (the width of each battery).

In a parallel string you can connect a whole bunch of different sized batteries and it still works fine.  The smaller ones will take less current, and the bigger ones will take proportionately more current.  For many people this is hard to understand or visualize, but it works fine.

Even if you have (in my case) 12 batteries in parallel in each string, there are slight differences in each one.  As an example, let's say you have two different 12 volt batteries - one is fully charge, the other is discharged down to 50% SoC.  Connect them parallel, then hook up a battery charger to charge them up.  The dead one will come up to full charge and the fully charged one won't take any current.

If you have two different sized batteries in parallel - let's say one is 100 ah and the other is 200 ah - it also works fine.  If they start out at full charge and you load them the bigger one provides more of the load current than the smaller one.  Let's say you pull 100 ah out of this 300 ah parallel set of batteries, the bigger one will supply 66.6 ah of it and the smaller one will supply 33.3 ah.  When you recharge them, the charging current is also in the same proportion.

With parallel batteries, as long as you have them matched so they require the same charging voltages for absorb/float, you can get away with just about anything.  Been doing it for years.

Series is a whole 'nother ball game.  Batteries in series have to be PERFECTLY matched or you will wreck them in short in order.
--
Chris

Offline Watt

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 01:08:54 pm »
Chris, the whole parallel connection is equal thing is great if the actual voltage at each " battery " end of the conductor is equal.   

I have no point to prove.  I am only providing what I experienced and also understand that only goes so far.  Because your batteries are all the same size, you should get an equal reading from a clamp on ammeter battery to battery, is all I'm saying, as otherwise some batteries will be exercised more than others.  While my batteries were all the same size and in a configuration such as yours, I did not get an equal reading.  I had problems cell to cell, battery to battery after only a few weeks.  Maybe I need a picture of what you are saying vs. a drawing.  Maybe that will put it into perspective.

http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?topic=224.0

Some time ago, you posted your new way of battery arrangement which was the bees knees, what happened with that configuration?  Were you looking for better by changing that?

The ammeter only shows total bus input amps from the wind and solar.  It doesn't show what's going to each battery.  But batteries in parallel will only "draw" what they require at the particular charge voltage they're at.  The voltage is the same across the entire string, even at very high charge amps.  I have #4 interconnects on the parallel part, and each interconnect is only about 14" long (the width of each battery).

In a parallel string you can connect a whole bunch of different sized batteries and it still works fine.  The smaller ones will take less current, and the bigger ones will take proportionately more current.  For many people this is hard to understand or visualize, but it works fine.

Even if you have (in my case) 12 batteries in parallel in each string, there are slight differences in each one.  As an example, let's say you have two different 12 volt batteries - one is fully charge, the other is discharged down to 50% SoC.  Connect them parallel, then hook up a battery charger to charge them up.  The dead one will come up to full charge and the fully charged one won't take any current.

If you have two different sized batteries in parallel - let's say one is 100 ah and the other is 200 ah - it also works fine.  If they start out at full charge and you load them the bigger one provides more of the load current than the smaller one.  Let's say you pull 100 ah out of this 300 ah parallel set of batteries, the bigger one will supply 66.6 ah of it and the smaller one will supply 33.3 ah.  When you recharge them, the charging current is also in the same proportion.

With parallel batteries, as long as you have them matched so they require the same charging voltages for absorb/float, you can get away with just about anything.  Been doing it for years.

Series is a whole 'nother ball game.  Batteries in series have to be PERFECTLY matched or you will wreck them in short in order.
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 02:58:02 pm »
Some time ago, you posted your new way of battery arrangement which was the bees knees, what happened with that configuration?  Were you looking for better by changing that?

Yes, like I said, that arrangement made me nervous because I had no way to tell if a battery developed a problem.  It worked fine and kept them balanced very good.  But what if one suddenly developed a weak or dead cell?  It required servicing and load testing once every three months to make sure every battery was good.

I want to get away from that 3 month service because it's no trivial task.

So I decided to try this new setup because it has less wire in the bank and I would like to get down to servicing the bank once a year.  I can check water once a month without disconnecting or moving anything.  I got a way to monitor the bank for proper performance without having to load test each individually every three months.

It's still an experiment and nothing is the bees knees.  I'm trying it based on experience with these things showing me that more parallel and less series connections keeps things better balanced.

Frankly, I'm not even remotely worried about difference in current to batteries in the same parallel string.  If there is any difference, it's very, very small to the point of being negligible.  I know that because I already ran the bank at the full rated output of the inverters and no voltage drops problems at all.  If all the batteries couldn't deliver their proper current I'd get a big voltage drop from the batteries to the inverter studs.  That didn't happen.  Charging is no different than full load testing - just that the amps flow in opposite directions.
--
Chris

Offline Watt

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 03:20:09 pm »

Yes, like I said, that arrangement made me nervous because I had no way to tell if a battery developed a problem.  It worked fine and kept them balanced very good.  But what if one suddenly developed a weak or dead cell?  It required servicing and load testing once every three months to make sure every battery was good.

I want to get away from that 3 month service because it's no trivial task.

So I decided to try this new setup because it has less wire in the bank and I would like to get down to servicing the bank once a year.  I can check water once a month without disconnecting or moving anything.  I got a way to monitor the bank for proper performance without having to load test each individually every three months.

It's still an experiment and nothing is the bees knees.  I'm trying it based on experience with these things showing me that more parallel and less series connections keeps things better balanced.

Frankly, I'm not even remotely worried about difference in current to batteries in the same parallel string.  If there is any difference, it's very, very small to the point of being negligible.  I know that because I already ran the bank at the full rated output of the inverters and no voltage drops problems at all.  If all the batteries couldn't deliver their proper current I'd get a big voltage drop from the batteries to the inverter studs.  That didn't happen.  Charging is no different than full load testing - just that the amps flow in opposite directions.
--
Chris

How will you be able to tell when you have a problem now vs. what you had arranged before?  I mean, disconnect all but two ( in a string ) batteries in one bank and leave the other huge bank which is paralleled with the now two batteries.  What will the gauge prove?  I guess I'm not a believer ultimately in the meter approach. That is my fault and lack of experience I'm sure. If your " parallel " definition is true, then the meters will not matter.  If one battery fails, will that not throw the whole arrangement out of balance for even a short time which would not be good?  Truthfully, there is no way to configure a bank where in the event of a failure, there will be no adverse effect on the other batteries.  It seems all these arrangements have been discussed and documented by someone else in the past and this arrangement is nothing new.  Had you determined the other arrangement would not give a year worry free use?  Going a year without a lot of service is a long time.  Even a disconnected battery will show good until the SG starts to fall.  I still keep my bank arranged as the previous thread depicts, No problems so far, but will have to go read dates for a timeline.  If one fails, or I need that battery for something else, I take it out of the group and keep chugging away.  I don't have to remove two or more to re-balance the system or shut it down completely.  The difference being, your bank is system specific and mine I use to keep the entire fleet of lazy equipment batteries cycled.

Offline A of J

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 03:27:11 pm »
If you scratch something often enough some good will come of it even if it is the scab on a sore and you should have left it alone.

Chris you and I use a similar amount of power each day, albeit we live pols apart, me in the tropics you in insane cold at times. I have lived with 96X2 volt cells connected series parallel to form a 24 Volt system, then a 48 Volt bank of 2 Volt cells, and now again a bank of 2 volt cells forming 48 volts, and I know which I prefer.

We all need to be careful about what we say,

You are correct but to suggest that we can connect two batteries that are at considerably different potential is misleading, wet cell batteries have low internal resistance which means if we parallel two that are at  different  states of charge and therefore terminal voltage, massive amps will flow albeit for a brief period of time.

I am being picky I know but let us all strive to be as accurate as possible in our posts, I claim no moral high ground, the opposite, it's because I am down here looking up that I can see what I see and trust me it is not always pleasant, the Scottish men  have a lot to answer for.

I will now crawl back into my trench so most of the flack will go over my head.

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:00 pm »
You are correct but to suggest that we can connect two batteries that are at considerably different potential is misleading, wet cell batteries have low internal resistance which means if we parallel two that are at  different  states of charge and therefore terminal voltage, massive amps will flow albeit for a brief period of time.

Allan, yes that was a bad thing to say now that I look at it.  You, of course, are correct.  Amps will flow from the fully charged one to the one that's at a lower state of charge and they will equal out.  I guess that was my point - you can do it and charge or discharge them and the two will equal out with no adverse effects on the batteries (as long as they are both healthy).

Truthfully, there is no way to configure a bank where in the event of a failure, there will be no adverse effect on the other batteries.  It seems all these arrangements have been discussed and documented by someone else in the past and this arrangement is nothing new

This is correct, Watt.  I think the key is early detection of that failure so it can be dealt with before it causes failure of other batteries in the bank.  I made a video of what it does when I hooked a little 2 amp 12V battery charger to one string in the bank and posted that video in an earlier post.  Within seconds it caused enough imbalance to see it on the meters.

My theory here is that if the amp-hours of both strings are identical, there should never be an imbalance in voltage.  If I lose even one cell in one battery at some point, that changes the amp-hour capacity of one string.  And it will show up as imbalance on the meters during load (lower voltage on the string with the failed cell) or charging (higher voltage on the string with the failed cell).

I read your post earlier and I tried something else this afternoon.  We went walleye fishing last night (didn't catch any fish) and the batteries in the boat were down on charge so they read 12.4 volts at-rest.  Those batteries are 95 ah each  - Group 27 marine deep cycle batteries.  I got an idea from your post - 95 plus 95 is 190 ah.  The batteries in my bank are 200 ah.  This is all "nameplate" stuff because one T12 weighs double what those two Group 27's weigh combined.  But that's what it says on the tags.

Our bank was floating most of the day and I float those T12's at 28.0 volts (temperature compensated was 27.7 volts today).  I disconnected one battery in Bank 2 and replaced that battery with the partially discharged Group 27's by hooking them into the bank with jumper cables to see what happens.  The voltage on Bank 2 instantly dropped to 13.7 when I hooked them up.  The voltage on Bank 1 went to 14.0.

Now, with these two boat batteries we have 10 less amp hours on Bank 2 than we have on Bank 1.  I left them hooked up all afternoon (for about 3 hours now), and they're still hooked on to Bank 2 as I write this.  The balance meters evened out within a couple hours, but now after about three hours the voltage on Bank 2 is showing higher than on Bank 1.

I am completely satisfied that if I lose even one cell in one battery I will be able to detect it with those meters and this bank wiring configuration.  The reason is because the bank always runs at a certain system voltage - let's say it's 26.0 volts for easy example.  The balance meters should show 13.0 volts each.  But if you have even a slight imbalance in one string from a failed cell it will cause either a drop in voltage on that string (under load) or a rise in voltage (under charging).  At the same time it causes a corresponding rise or fall in voltage from the 13.0 on the other string, which makes it very easy to detect on the analog meters.

In the above example, if the system voltage is 26.0 and Bank 1 is at 12.95 because of a bad cell, Bank 2 is at 13.05 - a difference of .1 volts which is easily visible on those meters.

I've done enough experimenting now to know it works and will detect even a slight imbalance.  My batteries are due for service again in June under my previous regimen.  I'm going to leave it hooked up this way and skip that service interval.  Servicing involves starting the generator and switching all our loads to genset, shutting down the inverters, solar and wind.  Then remove each battery from the bank and record at-rest voltage, load test it and record loaded voltage, then leave it set and record at-rest voltage after it recovers from the load test.  It's a long drawn out affair that takes 4-5 hours, and I hate doing it because my back is about shot after handling those freaking heavy batteries.

I'm going to leave it this way until the September service interval and just check water once a month.  I'll service them as normal in September by load testing, etc..  If they all show identical like they did for the last service interval I will then consider this wiring method to be "proven" and it works.
--
Chris

Offline A of J

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 08:08:34 pm »
Chris each to their own, but you have over engineered caring for batteries. a device called a hydrometer is a simple  and easy way of checking each cell, just use a quality hydrometer. No need to run a generator, or have the batteries out of service for hours, just take a reading of each cell at around the same time, and they will never be all perfect.

A battery bank volt meter and observing it generally tells one everything necessary  for safe and efficient operation of a battery bank.

I try to water mine once a month, take SG readings once a month, take cell (2V) readings once a month and I can see what my system is doing from the office by looking at my laptop. Apart from that I get on with life.

If I remember correctly you yourself once posted that flooded lead acid batteries live longer if kept bubbling rather than under charged and I fully agree, apart from water use and with due diligence to battery temperature they love it.

As example I can tell you my batteries are at 58.8 volts, 12.2 amps going in, solar panels are supplying 1.67 Kw (being limited by the MPPT's) system load is 0.9 Kw, today my batteries have received 9.1 kWh in and supplied 7 kWh they have not yet attained float although very near at 99.8% charged, my total AC load so far today has been 6.7kWh. And it is 1115 hours, I have fridge and freezer connected, 4 ceiling fans and one refrigerated air conditioner and  two computers running, all of which are always in service oh and the tellie talking to it's self.

And worst of all there is no grog in the house, so I must schedule a trip to town sometime this week or it will be a sad weekend.

Allan

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »
Allan, I made a mistake when I built my battery case.

Our batteries are in an unheated utility room that is built on to the house.  The rest of our power equipment (except the generators) are also in there.  The power room has a concrete floor and it's insulated so it never gets below freezing in there in the winter time.  But the battery case is also insulated and there's a small fan that draws air from our kitchen and blows it into the battery case to keep the batteries at around 65° F in the winter and no more than 80° F degrees in the winter.  It seems the batteries are always about 5° F colder or warmer than the house air.

At any rate, the case has two racks.  12 batteries on the bottom rack and 12 on the top.  It is made of 2 x 4's and plywood with foam insulation around the plywood shell.  When it came time for battery service the design flaw in it became apparent.  I can't get to the cells on the batteries in the lower rack without either:
  • pulling all the top ones out to get to the caps on the lower ones thru the slots between the 2 x 4's that they set on
  • pulling all the bottom ones out to be able access the caps.
I don't know what I was thinking when I built that confounded thing.  Floor space concerns in the power room, I guess.

I don't remember the exact dimensions on the batteries, but they're roughly 2 feet long x a little over a foot tall, by about a foot wide.  Each one weighs about 155 lbs with electrolyte in it.  When I discovered the design flaw in the battery case I made a little stand that sets on the floor, and that's at the same height as the lower rack.  I can reach in there with a 13mm wrench that's wrapped with electrical tape except for the box end on it and get the nuts and cables off a battery.  Then grap the rope handle and slide it out on to the stand without blowing my nuts out so they're danglin' down around my knees.

It's one of those things where if you had it to do over, you'd do it different if you know what I mean.   >:(
--
Chris

Offline Watt

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »
Chris, Sounds like you are convinced.  I am going to have to go with your experience and also wish you the best.  I will try and remember to check back in Sept. as to your success with this system.  I am always looking for better myself.  I can't count or remember all the exact schemes I've used which failed and know that our current scheme keeps the SG for each type of battery right on spot.  The forklift/traction batteries stay just under 1.285 and the GC2 batteries are 1.300 and the 4d and 8d are just about 1.270 at these temps ( around 75F ).  I noticed Allan mentioned this " for the battery SG " detail.

As you have mentioned with name tag ratings, I have a bit of a mess with mine.  One group is 1000ah at 24v.  Another group is a traction battery 935ah at 24v.  The other a mixture of, yet all strings of this group are of equal name tag ratings, GC2 208ah, 4d and 8d batteries.  Sometimes in that very mixed group, I have 4 to 6 group 31 stud mount batteries particularly in the winter.  All of these groups are in series to form a 72v nominal bank.

I noticed you said something about never mixing batteries in series.  I have done so with the only exception being allowing absorb to run as long as if I had the full battery string as the largest group.  IE... at times as much as 1200ah at 72v.  Right now, I figure and base my system for 72v at 935ah for load at 40% dod or just on 27Kwh over night.  No troubles so far, but who knows after 5 years.  It's been only around 6 months abusing these at 72v.  I abused them even worse when ran the system at 48v. 

Good luck and I do understand doing what shouldn't be done or wouldn't be done otherwise.

Allan, yes that was a bad thing to say now that I look at it.  You, of course, are correct.  Amps will flow from the fully charged one to the one that's at a lower state of charge and they will equal out.  I guess that was my point - you can do it and charge or discharge them and the two will equal out with no adverse effects on the batteries (as long as they are both healthy).

Truthfully, there is no way to configure a bank where in the event of a failure, there will be no adverse effect on the other batteries.  It seems all these arrangements have been discussed and documented by someone else in the past and this arrangement is nothing new

This is correct, Watt.  I think the key is early detection of that failure so it can be dealt with before it causes failure of other batteries in the bank.  I made a video of what it does when I hooked a little 2 amp 12V battery charger to one string in the bank and posted that video in an earlier post.  Within seconds it caused enough imbalance to see it on the meters.

My theory here is that if the amp-hours of both strings are identical, there should never be an imbalance in voltage.  If I lose even one cell in one battery at some point, that changes the amp-hour capacity of one string.  And it will show up as imbalance on the meters during load (lower voltage on the string with the failed cell) or charging (higher voltage on the string with the failed cell).

I read your post earlier and I tried something else this afternoon.  We went walleye fishing last night (didn't catch any fish) and the batteries in the boat were down on charge so they read 12.4 volts at-rest.  Those batteries are 95 ah each  - Group 27 marine deep cycle batteries.  I got an idea from your post - 95 plus 95 is 190 ah.  The batteries in my bank are 200 ah.  This is all "nameplate" stuff because one T12 weighs double what those two Group 27's weigh combined.  But that's what it says on the tags.

Our bank was floating most of the day and I float those T12's at 28.0 volts (temperature compensated was 27.7 volts today).  I disconnected one battery in Bank 2 and replaced that battery with the partially discharged Group 27's by hooking them into the bank with jumper cables to see what happens.  The voltage on Bank 2 instantly dropped to 13.7 when I hooked them up.  The voltage on Bank 1 went to 14.0.

Now, with these two boat batteries we have 10 less amp hours on Bank 2 than we have on Bank 1.  I left them hooked up all afternoon (for about 3 hours now), and they're still hooked on to Bank 2 as I write this.  The balance meters evened out within a couple hours, but now after about three hours the voltage on Bank 2 is showing higher than on Bank 1.

I am completely satisfied that if I lose even one cell in one battery I will be able to detect it with those meters and this bank wiring configuration.  The reason is because the bank always runs at a certain system voltage - let's say it's 26.0 volts for easy example.  The balance meters should show 13.0 volts each.  But if you have even a slight imbalance in one string from a failed cell it will cause either a drop in voltage on that string (under load) or a rise in voltage (under charging).  At the same time it causes a corresponding rise or fall in voltage from the 13.0 on the other string, which makes it very easy to detect on the analog meters.

In the above example, if the system voltage is 26.0 and Bank 1 is at 12.95 because of a bad cell, Bank 2 is at 13.05 - a difference of .1 volts which is easily visible on those meters.

I've done enough experimenting now to know it works and will detect even a slight imbalance.  My batteries are due for service again in June under my previous regimen.  I'm going to leave it hooked up this way and skip that service interval.  Servicing involves starting the generator and switching all our loads to genset, shutting down the inverters, solar and wind.  Then remove each battery from the bank and record at-rest voltage, load test it and record loaded voltage, then leave it set and record at-rest voltage after it recovers from the load test.  It's a long drawn out affair that takes 4-5 hours, and I hate doing it because my back is about shot after handling those freaking heavy batteries.

I'm going to leave it this way until the September service interval and just check water once a month.  I'll service them as normal in September by load testing, etc..  If they all show identical like they did for the last service interval I will then consider this wiring method to be "proven" and it works.
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 11:11:06 pm »
Chris, Sounds like you are convinced.  I am going to have to go with your experience and also wish you the best.  I will try and remember to check back in Sept. as to your success with this system.

I'll see if I can remember to report back in Sept when I pull them all out and see what I got.  After the last two days I don't expect any surprises, but one never knows I guess.  I'm satisfied at this point that I'm not hurting them in any way, and that the gauges I put on each half of the bank will indicate a problem in the event it would develop, so the problem could be dealt with.

One of the downsides to multi-cell batteries is that you have a lot more cells.  My 24 batteries have 144 cells.  If I had 24 2V cells I'd have only 24 cells.  So I got 6x more chances of having a cell go bad at some point than a 24 cell series/parallel bank.  The batteries are under warranty for almost 6 years yet.  But still, with this type of bank I think it pays to have a monitoring system on it that works so in the event one does go tits up it can be caught right away and fixed before it causes further damage.
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 09:45:28 pm »
Well, my batteries would normally be due for service again - including load testing them all.  But my new bank balance meters show no problems.  Our system is running at 25.0 volts tonight with 9 amps load @ 240 volts on the inverters and both meters show 12.5 volts (photo with my cell phone - not too good of quality):

1210-0

So I skipped pulling them all out and doing the load test.  I checked water and the whole bank took about two quarts.  Saved myself 4--5 hours that it normally takes to go thru all 24 batteries.

Just to make sure it is working I hooked one of my 95 ah boat batteries (which was fully charged) up to one string with a set of jumper cables.  With 9 amps load on the inverters the amp draw on the bank is about 100 amps.  It only took 10-15 minutes and I could see the side of the bank that didn't have the extra battery hooked up was already a needle's width different than the other side.  So it's working.

September is my next normal service interval for our bank.  I think if the balance meters show no problems, I'll skip that one too.
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 10:58:54 pm »
Nce to see positive results.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 11:32:26 pm »
Just a report back on this, as I promised I'd relay the results......

I ended up pulling the batteries out in July and checking them all because they got up to around 110 degrees in the heat.  The controllers had the absorb voltage down to usually 28.2 volts and the batteries got lots of solar power charging because of bright, hot sunny days - several days at 98-100 degrees.

On July 26 I noticed on my analog monitoring meters that the needle on Bank 2 was slightly above 14 and the needle for Bank 1 was slightly below 14.  I'd never seen that before so I decided to check them and pulled them all out.  I found one battery on Bank 2 that had boiled itself down to where the plates were exposed to the air, and that battery had an at-rest voltage of 12.97 volts when I pulled it off the bank.  The hot weather must've caused them to use more water.  It took about 5.5 gallons to top them all off.

So I didn't make it to September as originally planned.  But I'm glad I caught that really low battery right away.  The battery seems to be fine after I watered it.  I checked it again today (and that's what made me think of this thread) and its at-rest voltage, fully charged, was 12.74 - much closer to normal.

The bank wasn't due for a water check for two weeks when I pulled them all out.  I made a mental note that when we get 100 degree weather that the electrolyte level in the cells has to be checked more often. 
--
Chris

Offline Watt

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 12:34:11 am »
Thanks for the update Chris, looks like the meters are paying off.

A question, didn't you change the wiring a bit also?