Author Topic: yet another 100% RE built deck  (Read 4678 times)

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
yet another 100% RE built deck
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:48:44 pm »
hey all-

built another deck that's a little more exciting as it sits on top of a roof.  never turned on a genset, and had the 390w worth of solar basically keeping everything running.  wind was doing a little bit to help, but not much. 

when i work at my place, it's pretty full bore.  air compressor for framing nailer, chop saw, circular saw, multiple battery chargers for cordless tools, ect...  the system keeps up very well, and battery voltage never drops below 24.5 during the day. 

so some pics:

the steel weldment i ade up to hold the deck above the roof:

the landing being built:

the landing in place:

and the mostly finished deck:

now i'm crazy sore, and sunburnt!

adam

Offline 97fishmt

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: yet another 100% RE built deck
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:03:00 pm »
Hi adam,

What's the point of putting a deck on the roof? A view? To get away from the mosquitoes or the bears?
Be careful up there.  I fell off my deck late one night (peeing off the porch), no hand rail.  Broke my foot,
took about 6 months to heal.  Then stupid me took a nasty fall on the motorcycle and mangled up my other foot.

Life in the bush can be sweet or at times it could be life or death.
Take care my friend,  looks great.

Mike

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:22:04 pm »
mike-

thanks!  i'll put a pic up, with the partially completed railings at the bottom.  long time no talk, how ya been?  if you're free the weekend of june 23rd, put it on your calendar for our ranch party, and honestly, i'd open our place to anyone on the forum.  i've met in person two folks from the wind forums, and they've been great people.  my place is about 30 mins of dirt tracking outside of bickleton, wa.  so, any of you, PM me if you're interested, though a disclaimer:  it gets a bit rowdy as the night goes on!  there were 110 people there last year from california to canada!

the deck is something i've always wanted.  a place to drink morning coffee with a good view ect.  my place has sooooo many trees that getting a bit higher with a totally different perspective is a really great feeling.  not to mention, it looks down on the stage where 3 different bands will be playing in late june!

adam

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »