Author Topic: Has anyone had experience with, or knows something about these?  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
As the subject says, does anyone know how well these work ?
http://soldonsun.com/files/UNI-PVL128.pdf
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: Has anyone had experience with, or knows something about these?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:46:50 am »
i have no experience with them, but the price is right, and i'll bet shipping is reasonable, as they can be rolled up. 

something about peel and stick, and a 20+ year lifespan doesn't sit well with me though.

they also appear to be amorphous cells...  i think they degrade pretty quickly (years) after initial install???

adam

Offline dang

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:44:39 am »
I was tempted to try two smaller sizes of these back when... Sunelec advertised these in units of two for the longest time but they aren't listed on their site now.

216" long is eighteen foot length that requires mounting onto a smooth ripple-free & corrosion-free surface - that won't be disturbed for twenty years. Usually only commercial industrial park warehouses offer that kind of isolation from accidents and foliage shading as trees grow and such. Their 'power-tilt' set-up looks like it might fly for barn & shed roofs since the bonded mount system is removable to do roofing repairs and such - but looks like a target for wind to try and peel it away on the wrong site.

I've seen one install of these - two of the 70~W (PVL-68/72?) panel size mounted on the roof of an airstream trailer. Even then they had to replace several rivets with a flush style to get the required smooth surface across ten feet of roof area.

Warranty:
i) during the first ten years from the date of the sale, produce at least 92% of the minimum power output rating
ii) during the first twenty years from the date of sale, produce at least 84% of the minimum power output rating
iii) during the first twenty-five years from the date of sale, produce at least 80% of the minimum power output rating

Expect they would be rabid over back-up plate and the roof construction itself specifics - but that is a GOOD warranty if your installation plan & execution is up to their codes....
"It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others" - Anonymous

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:47:52 am »
  Don't know Wolv, but I've been thinking hard about trying, for use as Dan mentioned, a trailer.
For that application, I suspect the glue backing will be the important factor, as it will see a lot of wind,
blowing rain, etc..  But having said that, it is really tempting.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj