Author Topic: MOVE WILL START IMMEDIATELY!!  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
MOVE WILL START IMMEDIATELY!!
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:57:28 pm »
We will be moving his site to a known stable environment starting as soon as we actually can!!
The site will be live ( hopefully right up to that moment) but...
Ross has graciously offered to host the site..

Ok here is what happened now..
* Wolvenar sheepishly starts the explanation
(Feels like a tried and true FL moment here)

I work building web sites as one of the ways I make money., 
I just finished the final tweaks to a new web site/store I was hired to build..
I emailed the company I did this for this morning at 6am looking for their final approval to the last round of changes.
I also said "If this works for you, give me the details of the server site you have leased,, and it will go there to be let loose into the wild"
They gave me those details just 10 min ago.. and chewed *me* out because *they* are loosing money.
Remember this is on a small machine sitting here at my place ( same one as AP is right now)

Ok now I had been working on this all night, so after that email.. I went to bed, woke up at 2 something (PM) to no websites responding, and almost no internet, slower than dial up though its normally around  30mb both ways available for a pipe ....**normally**....

The system was nearly locked up because the log file for this new site filled the drive ( tens of GB)
I found out to my terror that the business had let loose the tv commercials for *their* new web site!!
As I sit there watching my little machine act like its about to burn to the ground, I wondered how the HELL did the get them on the air so fast!! The coverage is multiple venues in most major cities..

THIS SITES NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIVE ONE MY DINKY LITTLE SYSTEM  RUNNING ON R.E. IN THE STICKS!!

I dumped the log file and changes the relevant settings, setup a network share for that log on a BIG drive..  and all was well I thought.. and was rather proud that little thing was holding up quite well.. until end of work day and school in the US.. Which means at home internet time for everyone!! 
That was when the storm unleashed.. It basically tuned out to be the same as a DDOS on my relatively little setup.

I had been calling them all afternoon telling them this was crap and they needed to get me that new server YESTERDAY.
It took taking their site offline for them to return my calls!!
Though basically all that meant was not RETURNING it back online.. ( as if I could). 
It will NOT be back until it is relocated. The DNS records have been changed for their site to try to clear up my connections.. but even with a 6 min timeout set on the DNS records
I am still seeing most of the connection being taken by connection attempts, along with my site transfer.

So.. sorry again, his really sucks, and looks bad ..
I just cannot catch a break here..
Not to mention my groggy stupidity , and trust that the other guys knew better..
Hopefully with the move to Ross's server we will see MUCH improved reliability..
But as my profile states,,, I am Mr. Murphey's most fun target.
Just hope he leave the site alone once its moved!
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: MOVE WILL START IMMEDIATELY!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 10:24:07 pm »
But won't the Coriolis effect reverse all the data crossing the equator for those of us north of the thing relatively speaking?

Reliability matters a lot IMHO.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »
Hey Wolv, go get some rest.  Thanks for all you do.   :)
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:26:51 pm »
to Wolv and RossW-
wherever this site is located, kudos to the both of you!  i'm stoked to be a part of a new RE site that isn't gumbed up with idiots (won't name names).

truely thank you, and if a donate button needs to happen, i'd be more than happy!

adam

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 01:22:10 am »
Tom I agree..
Reliability is vital.. and it has not been happening like it should.

But in reality its my little pet project that has kept me from moving this to a hosting company, or to Ross's server..
I hate letting this site get outta my grasp, because I love the fact its actually now RUNNING on renewable energy, and have had that in mind since damned near the day the forum went live.
But as today just proved.. I just do not have the connection to support something like this here, and maybe this entire area may suffer the same kind of problems, if it not the remoteness,, and lack of attention from an ISP.. its some dumba$$ redneck with an auger, or a drunk that likes to use telco fiber enclosures as target practice for his pickup.

But on a brighter note..
Looking at the carnage from the offending site of today ( the logs)
This little (mini-itx) pc at the other end of  radio link in the middle of the sticks did a LOT better than I would ever thought it could.
It seems though that the computer system was first to go down the second time around also.
However it was just before the connection attempts alone should have clogged up the pipe
It simply did not have near enough ram to handle the load, though it seems it could have held out fine until the bandwidth filled up if there had been enough.

* Wolvenar longs for the days when a T1 would have run most of the internet, you knew almost everyone on it by name, and it really WAS possible to see everything on the net.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)