Author Topic: Updates on why the site was down so long today  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Updates on why the site was down so long today
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:13:28 am »
Sorry guys this is happening.
One way or another this has to stop though.

Today the ISP we had this hosted at decided they no longer want customers it seems.
Unable to access the site remotely to fix anything or easily move it,
I had to wait until life obligations allowed me to physically move this system.
It is now temporarily hosted out of my house again...

Their is an upside to this,,
For now this site is now powered by SOLAR  ;D

At least for the short time it will be here, until I move it to a more capable connection.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Updates on why the site was down so long today
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:22:55 am »
Seems I had to update the clock after the move.. so a couple posts are incorrectly dated, fixed now.

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:47:10 am »
  I'm sorry you've had to put up with all this Wolv.   Probably doesn't help, but thanks
for fighting the fight.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline ksouers

• Missouri, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:06:21 am »
Wolv,
Thanks for all the work and taking on the headaches.
I've gone through similar trials with a web site where I'm the sys admin.
It seems all the hosting services act more like they are the customer, it's an all too common attitude.

Kevin
As far from the city as I can get but still keep my job.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:19 am »
It seems all the hosting services act more like they are the customer, it's an all too common attitude.

Just like to say, it's not "all"... I created one of Australia's first ISPs back in early 1995. It's still running. Wolv and others here know my service record... and the people that are letting the side down at the moment are either remarkably unlucky, or just plain incompetent. From phone and IRC conversations with wolv, more of the latter than the former unfortunately!

We would have moved the site to one of my servers this morning, except that I was stepping on to an aircraft in a little over an hour, and neither of us wanted to make a bad situation worse.

If this still isn't sorted when I get back in 36 hours, we will probably do just that.

(Oh, and to be clear - the incompetence referred to is not wolv!)

Offline ksouers

• Missouri, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:09:26 am »
Sorry Ross.  I didn't mean to step on any toes with such a large foot.

At least on this side of the equator every service I've dealt with, unless you are one of their high-dollar sites, the only service they are willing to provide is to lighten your wallet.

Kevin
As far from the city as I can get but still keep my job.

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:57:32 am »
We've got faith in you guys. There's a big difference between what's happening here and what was going on elsewhere.

I've seen snapshots of things like uptimes and what not; the server stays running through it all. The connection is the only thing ever coming and going.

Unfortunately, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. In this case, the ISP holds that card.

It will all work out.

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:12:53 am »
Worst of this all is it loses the faith of ppl that post here.
I know more than a couple that just give up and dont return for quite some time when things.

Notice how dead it is around here now?

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:44:47 pm »
   Not to worry Wolv, most of us will stick around just like a smelly fart. :o
   Seriously, most of us have a lot of loyalty.  Maybe in some cases, just trying to
not load up the machine.
   On that subject, it must like R.E., as it's pretty zippy today. :)
   edit:  Going to quote "Oddball" (Kelly's Heros)  "No more negative waves"  ;D ;D
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Rover

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:52:22 pm »
IT happens

Just glad its stlll here, or there or wherever the DNS points.

Rover :)
Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:28 am »
Sorta report on this servers first full day on the RE power.. well mostly..

This system not being terribly big yet but it is now powering all the connection equipment local to my place to get on the net. This includes a mini-itx setup that acts as a router/wifi.. and now a www server.

I have added stuff onto this little by little since I got the solar panels up and just the minimal it takes to make it crudely work.
The entire setup as it sits now to make the site truly run on RE has only been online together since the morning before the ap site went down its last time at the previous location. So there is no long term data or even any kind of logging equipment to officially monitor the batteries etc. I only have a crude voltage monitor circuit that kicks in a relay to turn on a grid powered charger in case the batteries get below 60% charge and only maintains somewhere between 60-80% charge, its not even accurate, but it seems to be doing its job. I had an old tractor hour timer that I put in place to see how much time it has the charger on, but that's about the best monitoring I have right now
Yesterday afternoon I noticed sometime over the night and day yesterday it had been on for a bit over an hour, likely because it rained, and was gloomy most of the previous day and yesterday, clearing a bit after 3 pm.

On that subject, it must like R.E., as it's pretty zippy today. :)

That is a bit surprising, if all things at the previous "site of troubles" were to have been working as they should at least.

This moved from a massive server class system, directly connected to fiber which has very few hops to a main backbone,
 To a rather low powered atom 1.6 mhz with 2gb ram (yeah tiny  look up Jetway JNF92-270)  if interested.

This is sitting on the end of a mesh wifi network with  bit over 2 miles from the closest exchange center.
That exchange is only connected via copper, and relayed a dozen times more to get to anything that resembles the US internet backbone.

I suppose this goes to show how horrid things were (are) getting at the former site I *thought* would do so well.

Like I said before, its likely going to move again, mostly because I just don't trust that this wifi connection here is stable enough to be permanently hosting a site. I also plan to do much more work to this RE system which means that it will have to be powered down to make that happen.

Though it IS rather fun in the meantime!

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 07:08:12 am »

This includes a mini-itx setup that acts as a router/wifi.. and now a www server.

This moved from a massive server class system, directly connected to fiber which has very few hops to a main backbone,
 To a rather low powered atom 1.6 mhz with 2gb ram (yeah tiny  look up Jetway JNF92-270)  if interested.

This is sitting on the end of a mesh wifi network with  bit over 2 miles from the closest exchange center.
That exchange is only connected via copper, and relayed a dozen times more to get to anything that resembles the US internet backbone.

:o
In English, that means you got internet at your house, right?

Whatever it means, thank you.
G-

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 10:39:32 am »
Definitely. Ditto what Ghurd said.

Nothing quite like having the whole kit under your control right there under your nose, even if the pipe is a little slow. Been doing it that way for a few years here, and wouldn't have it any other way (that is until my bandwidth requirements go up significantly). :)

I haven't noticed a whole lot of difficulty with the board's response; a couple of minor delays here and there, but especially given the explanation above, it is more than meeting any expectation of what I would have personally had of it.

So however it is that you've got it connected, it's doing it's job, and that's what ultimately matters. Rock on, dude.

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.