Author Topic: Fiberglass Prop upgrade on my older dual rotor..  (Read 6049 times)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Fiberglass Prop upgrade on my older dual rotor..
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:58:46 pm »
damnit what is going on here?

getting errors on attachments failing security when there are not even any attachments?

3 times I tried to post here and I am finished trying. Let me know when its fixed.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Re: Fiberglass Prop upgrade on my older dual rotor..
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »
The attachment looks like it came thru.  I had the same problem some time ago with a post but I narrowed it down to one photo that it wouldn't take.

Looks good!  Hope the tower is easy to get down because you'll have to do some tweaking on the air gap with those blades to let it run faster.
--
Chris

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:13:52 pm »
It is extremely easy to raise and lower. 2 1" nuts release 2 legs from studs in the piers it sits on, put tension on backhaul rope and let out the grip hoist line. Only 30 feet tall. In the photos the tower does not look plumb but it is camera angle from being too lazy to get out of the truck for the photo.

A closer view of the prop (remotely hosted cuz it seems to actually work for me):

Time to clear some trash trees again:

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline bvan1941

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 01:35:43 pm »
Tom,
Good luck, looks like it'll work fine. Don't forget to give us some production numbers along with satisfaction factor.
Bill

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »
Is this the one that crashed?
G-

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 04:54:05 pm »
Is this the one that crashed?
G-

G;

Nope. This has been in the works awhile just coincidence it is happening now.

I did some work up on the crashed one and the main tube which is 6.75" steam pipe has a bend that I can fit 3 fingers (2.5") between a string line and the bend in a 10 ft section. No idea how to straighten that kind of thing. The bent section is 22 ft long made from 2 11 foot sections welded together. Actually bent the lower section below the weld.

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 04:59:43 am »
Eh Tom,
                I have straightened out bent pipe before and what I've done is lay a chalk line between 2 posts to find the high spot then measure the gap along say at 12" lengths to get the full picture of the bend. Now here is where it can be hit or miss the first time, run a heating torch along the centreline on the high spot and let it cool. One will be surprised just how much it will swing and if one can get it straight enough maybe weld some  angle iron in 3 lengths welding only along the pipe and not across.

The only problem if the heating gas is more than a new length of pipe too but by running the torch along to say a dull red on the high point along the pipe will show movement.

Cheers Bryan

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 07:45:29 am »
   Bryan's suggestion will certainly work Tom.  Mr. shrink has a lot of power.  But, if the bend is over a fairly
short section, it can be done with a wood fire.  Supported both ends, with the bend up, and heat under the
bend.  You'll need supports either side at more or less the straight point.  Much slower, but can be done
with what's around and handy.  I haven't done pipe that big, but it worked on a 40' section of 4".  Once it's
nice and hot, it just slowly settles under it's own weight.
   Good luck with it.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj