Author Topic: ceramic and neo powered alt  (Read 3678 times)

Offline hiker1

• hiker
ceramic and neo powered alt
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:49:41 am »
its a 9 and 12 setup..12" rotors [sawblades] one blade was kinda thin so i screwed it down  to a 3/4" plywood disk....#14 wire and 13..single strand..motor shop gave me the wrong size when i went to reorder..  so it made it kinda tight when i installed the coils..had to press a few of the coils smaller [vise] smaller center hole that  is.. this is just a hobby for me .. its all built from wood..so  dont take this post as the way to build a mill......its just my way!  as a few of you know..retired my old motorhome mill..bearings finally wore out..blockbearings..think i built that back in 04..survied some high winds along the coast.. at least up to 55+..it was a 9and 12 setup also..think i lost one mag over the years..ide change out the nylon tape around the rotors every spring..wrapped it around the rotors to help keep the mags on..now i use EPOXY STICK. cures rock hard..made for ancoring bolts.. i put that in between the mags .. seems to work..ive cranked up the mill as fast as 1000 rpms ..no load..mags stayed put...and its wired for star or jerry rigged ..six wires out.six connections at the top of the stator..80 open volts.star..with a 400w. 28v aircraft landing light
and a 6amp handdrill it puts out about 17 volts 9 amps.star..10 amps  18v jerry rigged ..?
 i super glued on some small neoes on top of the ceramics on the back rotor..gave it a extra kick..lower cut that is..as  of now i only have a 6ft. prop for it..motorhome is still snowed in--i use it for testing along the coast..theres always a good wind their..at least 20-40+  mph..
heres a few picts.....
just do it

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
Re: ceramic and neo powered alt
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:44:56 am »
Nice job Hiker1, as always like your projects.....
Nothing wrong with wood as far as I'm concerned.
BTW having a little trouble with the knees and
my therapist said I was doing too much pedalin
(pedgen) so I'm starting work on a treadmill gen
out of wood of course basically same as what the
motor probably came from or was intended for, only
I drive it instead of vice-versa....can't see using the
other kind would be like tying yourself behind a sloow -moving
car.
 Ever make a treadmill gen ?
Norm.

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:03:34 am »
  Like Norm said Hiker--nice job.  Just wanted to add  Nice to see you here.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline jlt

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:22:31 am »
Do you have the mill attached to your motor home or is it on a separate tower.

Let us know how  many turns of wire you used . Thanks

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:32:34 pm »
great  new site here..secound time im tryin this?...
thanks norm..sorry to hear about your knees...try green tea instead of coffee for awhile..ile  bet youle
feel the diffrance...those treadmill motors work great on a pedgen as well--good luck with yours..
tried one on mine..put out some decent  power..
thanks   bj..
hey jlt..the # of turns are 70-80--motor shop gave me the wrong size when i went back to reorder..
so some of the coils had to be squezzed togeather to make them fit..didnt notice the diffrance untill i made  up a bunch of coils!!! i made it for ceramics..but sence i had a bunch of little neoes on hand i tossed those on as well..    i mount the mill to the back of my motorhome-ladder  on back..
never had a problem with that  ..even in high winds..except for the alt noise..has a low growl  to it!
 not sure now that i built it if i will use it on the motorhome..its a little heavy..would have to build a
better mount..oh well!!  it would make a fun pedgen...heres a shot of my old mill on a test stand...
just do it