Author Topic: Bit the bullet  (Read 16152 times)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
Bit the bullet
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:38:03 am »
  Was saving my bucks for panels, as, @ .90 a watt (Fred) I can just barely build them for that.  But, he doesn't ship
those to Canada, (not CSA) so bought the 6x6 cells, and will no doubt rely heavily on Oz's kindly shared methods.
  Bottom line, only difference is my time, and I'm cheap. (and easy)(and don't go there  ;D)
  So, $1732 (incl shipping) later, I'm poorer, have a summer project, and will undoubtedly learn some lessons.
  Keep you fingers crossed, and for those so inclined, say a prayer to the sun gods.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Rover

Re: Bit the bullet
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:37:23 pm »
Hi bj,

You bought roughly 2K$ worth of naked cells. Man I'm Impressed. You have way more time than I.

I can only say "Awesome" and good luck. I'm a wimp, I probably would have bought a small number to see how it goes and whether I can do it with the same $s (or better) as purchased panel

Rover

Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »
If you got the 6x6 with the short tabs, it is easy and fast. If they have no tabs..... it is tough going for large numbers.

I admire your jump in the deep end first..... but at least I can say for sure that after over a year of the first ones we did, there is no sign of degradation. They appear to behave the same as the commercial ones (and so they should). They have had searing heat, and frozen nights... with 1/2 inch of frost front and some ice on the backs.........no change.

The only thing to watch is how you do the terminal box to keep the water/moisture out. Thats the only weak link, and is solved easily too. The boys had some good ideas with the laminates a few weeks back.

We had a dang frost here this morning.....1/4 inch of ice on the panels.

................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline bj

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »
   Oz, Rover, thanks.  Got a couple of small panel projects to start with, and go from there.
I always do my best work under pressure, so, we'll see.
bj

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:55:33 pm »
bj, you did take a big bite. That's lots of solar. I wish you lots of good luck and no skinned knuckles. I hope you will post.

Offline bj

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 07:20:33 am »
   Thanks Phil.  I will definitely post, just have to develop the habit of taking pictures.  I think grid-tie will be a
tougher challenge, but I am willing to fight the fight.  So far the arguments against have been won with just plain
common sense.  Plan "B" is to get the pole removed, but of course I will have to have a lot more battery storage.
   Time will tell.
bj

Offline philb

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:19:47 pm »
It's not hard to fight the fight here as long as you have a few politicians on your side. Since I'm an 'REC" type member, I can get the bill reduced until it gets to zero, the they won't even say thank you for the excess power you gave them.

I plan to use the functions of Outback on the buy while I cry function and laugh when they don;t get any free power back. That is, I will use my generator until I get 850 feet of grid tie electric line ran, but only if I need it.  I'm only now days away from buying two FX 3524's.  I'm hoping to get caught up on posting this weekend. <off my soap box>

I'm assuming you will do a few panels, test them and hook them into your system then. (I'd be too excited to leave the completed panels doing nothing)  :) From just making completed panels from laminates, I can appreciate what Oztules has done and what you are going to do. That's a lot of fun work!

Offline bj

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:24 pm »
  Your assumption is correct Phil.  Or at least that's the plan.   The outbacks will be next month(hopefully)
for me.  Going 48v.  It's only money right? ;)
  Have one bank of L-16's, but will need another.
  All great fun.
  It wouldn't happen if Oz hadn't done all the groundwork.
bj

Offline Dave

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 12:35:09 am »

We will be following along with interest bj,... 8)
..&..Would love to see every detail of your adventures!

It's all good fun!
Cheers, Dave

Offline bj

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »
    Well, April 25, and a whole bunch of 6x6 cells (with paraphernalia) arrived.  Been getting other stuff ready, or
almost, in the meantime.
    Now the fun starts.
bj

Offline bj

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:36 pm »
   In the process of getting "other stuff" ready, I decided to build a box for ammeters etc.  Build,
because I am basically cheap, and I had an old desk that was destined for scrap metal.  The sides,
where the drawers were, had about the right dimensions, so I cut one down, (in depth) to what I wanted.
   Made a top, out of the same desk, and a door out of another piece.
   Holes were punched with this free-bee hydraulic hole punch.  Wish I lived closer to Wolv, as it would
have saved him some grief.  It needed minor repairs, is old, but the price was right.
   Should do the trick,  cost--$2.40 for the piano hinge.
bj

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 12:59:50 pm »
very nice bj! 

do you have a free tempered glass source?  what are your plans for glass?  any thoughts on how many cells per panel ect? 

just totally curious with what you're gonna do with ALL those cells! 

do you have a Kw estimate for what you'll end up with in the end? 

adam

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 02:26:45 pm »
Yeah that looks like it would have made life a lot easier.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline bj

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 03:16:40 pm »
   Adam:  no free source, yet :) so may be buying.  Have  a good rapport with local, so we'll see.  If I have to buy, I may go low iron.
Voltage----system will be 48V nominal.  I'm planning two panels in series, to ammeter, to buss.  Individual panel cell count would
normally be 30, but may up this a bit to take advantage of some of the electrickery available.  Still tabbing so have a bit of time.
  Purchase was about 4000 watts worth, which doesn't quite work out, but I have a couple of smaller projects on the back burner,
so we'll see.  Plan includes space for double that, if I feel so inclined.   (b.s. --IF I can afford it)  That's why all the ammeter holes, and
space for more.
  Oz was right, tabbing is pretty boring.
bj

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:32:53 pm »
Picture of the cells would be nice.... just so I can reminisce. I have over 4kw done, but it did not happen overnight.... a long drawn out manufacturing process....

What cells did you get finally .... tabbed, raw etc. If raw, you have lots of testing to go, unless they are the chinese ones, they are good for their consistency.

Have my best wishes, I know how much work you have to go......

................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia