Author Topic: Turbines In A Spring Breeze  (Read 5734 times)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Turbines In A Spring Breeze
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:39:18 pm »
Solar panels are great and all that.  But they're not much fun.  In fact, they're downright boring.  You can put 'em on a tracker and that might add a little excitement because now they move.  But they're still about as exciting as watching a nightcrawler inch its way across the sidewalk.

Nothing quite captures the romance and raw beauty of wind turbines hard at work when it comes to generating renewable power.  Sometimes you have to simply admire what they do.

We had a beautiful spring day with a nice 20 mph breeze from the NE.  This afternoon a little storm front appeared out of nowhere and it got really gusty for a bit.  But it don't matter - I get great satisfaction from watching my turbines make power for our place.  The poor grid-tie folks don't get it.  To them it's all about money.  How much can they save on their bill.  How long does the equipment take to pay for itself.

Well, my equipment is paid for and I ain't got no bill.

--
Chris

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Re: Turbines In A Spring Breeze
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:52:57 pm »
Well, I didn't make it to the end.  I had to shut the video down.  It was too boring or was it cuz I was too jealous of those not being mine and not having that kind wind to drive them?  :'(
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:56 pm »
The wind, she's up there.  It never stops blowing if you get up high enough   :)

Around here where we live she's pretty much flat except for a couple bumps in the distance.  The the wind sort of hurries across this part of the country to get to the next part where there's something to slow it down.

863-0

864-1
--
Chris

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:27 pm »
That corn is doing pretty well for April 4  :o :D

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:12:45 pm »
Yeah.  We could actually start planting corn here because the ground is warm enough now.  But the crop insurance don't cover it if we plant it before April 20    :-\
--
Chris

Offline Dale S

• My smoke got out again
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »
We got the same thing here, guys are itchin to get stuff in the ground, but it's about the crop insurance thing, I think it's April 12th or something here though.
I aint skeerd of nuthin....WTF was that?

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:25:07 pm »
Yeah well, next week it's supposed to be down in the 20's at night.  She ain't time to plant corn yet.

My wife's tulips came up and already got flowers shooting out.  She's all worried about them freezing off so she found some old blankets and stuff to cover them and save them from certain death    :)
--
Chris