Author Topic: How would I go about properly building an in ground battery room?  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Mods, I couldn't decide on the correct location for this thread so move as required.

I would like to dig a hole and build a control room for my batteries and controllers.  We have extreme heat during our summers and I would like to prolong battery and controller life best I can by moving everything possible below ground.  I have no problem installing an a/c or heat pump and look forward to near constant temps building south of the soil line.  We have a ground water table of around 80ft and only a foot or two of rain annually.  So, I think my biggest concerns will be ventilation and spill hazards. 

If there are folks out there who can help and provide experience, questions, comments and concerns I'm open for it all.  I'd like to only build this thing once.  No permits required.  If going south is not practical, feel free to explain.  Thank you kindly. 

Mike
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: How would I go about properly building an in ground battery room?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 01:06:36 am »
You've seen my battery room. It's approximately 2m wide x 10 metres long x 3.8 metres high. Concrete slab for the floor, and for the roof, and the walls are all core-filled concrete block. The "roof" is almost a metre below ground.

If I ever had to do it again... I'd do it the same way.

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:00 am »
G'day Watt,
                      After reading this thread I got to thinking about my problem of a long distance from my best wind spot to the house, so a quick look outside in the general direction of where I want the wind gennies is a great spot to dig in a hole to make a new battery room so the distance is 1/2'd for the power lines. As the spot I picked out is in a small ravine the soil will be easy hopefully to dig as I have found in the past no icebergs are in that immediate area. Hopefully soon I'll get my hands on an old small hay baler so those bales can and will be the walls of the said new shed.
                    Got a full tank of juice in the tractor so might be time for some fun this weekend digging out the hole.

Cheers Bryan

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:06:57 am »
  Mike:  just plain makes sense to me.  And Ross has walked the walk, and likes it.  I'd do it
but totally unpredictable rainfall gives me pause.
  I don't think your spill protection would have to be any better than what anyone else should
have.  Same goes for ventilation.
   Probably, the only thing that would be more difficult for you is adding on things when the inevitable
system growth happens.  A few extra conduits capped and ready would take care of that.
   Being a careful type, I would put in weeping tile or a sump, if for no other reason than peace of mind.
   As I said before, makes sense.
   Good luck with it.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:26:07 am »
Just remember, real batteries get heavy fast.

Allow for a way to get them in and out. A walk in entrance be nice with no stairs but exposes a wall to the elements or at least a part of it.

As mentioned, plenty of extra conduit capped and ready (beyond what you know you need).

Floor drain and a water supply if even a gravity fed one from a barrel. Everyone should keep an easy to access supply of water in close proximity to batteries in case of spills or splashes.

Just off the top of my head now.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline A of J

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:26:02 am »
Is the site flat or sloping? If sloping I would dig in a 4 or 6" storm water pipe running down hill from the floor of said room, this together with a roof vent solves ventilation and flooding although I would prefer to also have a sump that could overflow.

Don't forget the whole room does not have to be below ground level, half in with dirt over top works, makes access easier, if necessary continue the steps into the room. Cement steps with a small ramp (trolly wheel width) either side (narrow steps) addresses Tom's point about moving batteries. Door on east or west depending on your location,

A bit more site information please.

Allan

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:32 pm »
I have a nice pit in the shop for working on cars,that opens into a room, this then has a door into the basement of the house.
I have built a heavy support into the shop roof to support a rope lift to move big things in and out of there and the basement. If its something very big the ropes ( or cable if its really heavy) can run out the door to be pulled with the truck or tractor.
Might be an idea scaled for whatever batteries you might use, to help getting them in and out. if a walk out style room is not possible.

Although concrete is the nicest way to go, pressure treated wood might be a cheaper faster and a much less back killing method of building that room, depending on the costs of materials, and slave labor ( friends ) in your area. It's not as permanent but it could last a couple decades or more if done right.

Oh, also I find if you need that slave labor.
Get out the grill stock up on the food and beer, and invite them over for the weekend party :-)
Works almost every time.. work involved or not.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:38:38 pm »
Thank you folks for your replies.  Your suggestions are awesome.  Most of them I had not thought of.

Here is my list:

Bug Ross for more details.
Beat Bryan to digging the hole  :P
Water lines and a sump drain with pump.
Removable portion of roof to service traction batteries.  ( What do you guys think about building a shed over the buried room for service equipment.  I do like the idea of having a hoist to lift and lower instead of relying on my tractor or forklift. )
I am thinking of cement floor and drainage tiles along with cement filled blocks as Ross has done with his walls.  Cement or even treated lumber roof as Wolv suggested. 

A of J, I will post a picture of my dig location when the sun is out tomorrow.  The area is flat.  When we do get rain, I get a steady stream of run-off over the planned site so I will have to build the location up around 6 inchs to keep from creating a storage tank. 

Tom, I thank you for reminding me of the battery weight.  I have one which my tractor does not like to move.  3000lbs. 
CEO of this Dis-Organization....