Author Topic: Why is the top of my Batteries wet ?  (Read 17726 times)

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Re: Why is the top of my Batteries wet ?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 11:40:50 pm »
No problem this is my last post here.
wal mart sells a acid detector and cleaner is a spray can dose a good job!
Good by.

No need to say bye.  Come back when you can. 

Just curious though, is the detector in a spray can?  I was at Wal-Mart today and didn't notice a detector.  I did notice and get two cans. One cleaner and one post protector.  I'll keep looking until you reply.  Thanks for your suggestion. 
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline Bub73

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 10:10:04 am »
  #1, 14 oz  spray  battery cleaner and acid detector black & white can in battery section , works good but best to use it out side and dont get it in the cells. 
#2  1 oz spray ncp-2 battery corrosion preventive   use on the clamps and posts  works good. look around the battery places and you may be able to get a larger can. looks like a red paint  when you apply it.
Isaiah

Offline Watt

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 11:55:30 am »
  #1, 14 oz  spray  battery cleaner and acid detector black & white can in battery section , works good but best to use it out side and dont get it in the cells. 
#2  1 oz spray ncp-2 battery corrosion preventive   use on the clamps and posts  works good. look around the battery places and you may be able to get a larger can. looks like a red paint  when you apply it.
Isaiah

What I did notice was a can, black and white, which said cleaner.  The other can said protector.  That can does have a red cap. 

Offline kensue49

• I would have heard that if my battery was good.
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »
I have a can I bought several years ago at Wal-e-World.
NOCO H2SO4 Battery Cleaner and Acid Detector.
NOCO part no. E-404
Sprays a dark yellow foam that turns pink when in contact with battery acid.
I have seen it also at Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone.
I am not connected with this or any company that sells it.
I works good, just rinse it off and spray it again until there is no pink.
Kenneth

Offline Bub73

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 06:56:00 pm »
 battery cleaner &acid detector
A noco product bar code #46100404  part  # E404
055-000-1-0043 ask the wal mart auto center guy to order some.
 it dose sell here in lower Mi.
disclaimer
 I  am in no way connected to this company and have no interest  in their monetary gain.

Offline Watt

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 08:29:13 pm »
Thank y'all very much.

Offline A of J

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:13 am »
I am more confused than usual, why oh why would anybody want to buy a pressure pack of something to detect acid on top of batteries!

As already said wipe the top with a damp disposable rag/paper towel, job done!

What can it possibly prove to spray with something that is probably baking soda. Yes there will be a little trace of acid if the batteries have been boiling, we know that because we are informed users of batteries, pressure cans are part of the problem not the solution.   ???

Allan

Offline Watt

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 01:31:27 pm »
I am more confused than usual, why oh why would anybody want to buy a pressure pack of something to detect acid on top of batteries!

As already said wipe the top with a damp disposable rag/paper towel, job done!

What can it possibly prove to spray with something that is probably baking soda. Yes there will be a little trace of acid if the batteries have been boiling, we know that because we are informed users of batteries, pressure cans are part of the problem not the solution.   ???

Allan

Allan, I would like the detector for one main reason.  To find the source of an acid leak.  If I find a leak around a post, I replace the battery.  Right now, when I can no longer keep a terminal clean, I replace the battery but, if the detector shows a leak coming from a cap, I then can buy a gasket.  No longer would I have to guess. 

Offline A of J

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 05:06:55 pm »
Fair enough but, for those of us with deep pockets and short arms selastic was invented, it serves as a sealing compound around posts on aging but still useful batteries, caps are vented for a reason.

There will always be a trace amount of acid, after equalizing particularly, that's why wiping down the tops of batteries is a routine maintenance and why we don't place items like inverters above batteries.

I am not trying to start a war of words, I just look at things practically and cost effectively, it realy is not hard to look after lead acid batteries just follow a few simple well documented rules and they will serve you well for a long time.

Allan

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
-- U P D A T E --
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 04:22:11 pm »
-- U P D A T E --
I had reset the dump voltage from 14.7 volts down to 14.25 volts to try and fix the problem with water on the batteries. I checked on them today while they were dumping at the new lower voltage. There were a couple of little specks of water around the filler caps but that may have been from condensation caused by an unusually cold morning.

The batteries seem to be holding the voltage up a bit too as the resting voltage now likes to stay at 12.7 volts instead of 12.6 volts from before changing the dump setting.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2012, 12:54:29 am »
14.7V is kind of high, even with solar (which works a few hours a day).

Higher voltage "boils" batteries, which makes them 'boil'. Go figure.  :P

When older batteries boil more or use more water, they can be getting near the end of their service life.

Don't shoot the messenger.   :-\
G-