Author Topic: Why is the top of my Batteries wet ?  (Read 17272 times)

Offline Rover

Re: Why is the top of my Batteries wet ?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »
4-74% .. I know tha was a typo.. I know because I'm king of them (Typos)

:)

It actually doesn't not take much to help ventilate a bank and explosions are rare, otheriwise you'd see a lot "booms" on the highway.

Isiah.. I have no idea what you did to cause one to explode, feel free to chime in.

Rover
Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 07:35:17 pm »
BE CAREFUL with water on top of the battery it is conductive!
 take your vom and check it out. be sure to have ventilation
 If your room is not ventilated any spark can cause a hi decibel event you don't want !
 i had a battery blow up when trying to start my small bull dozer in a small shed.
 For more info on battery's go to this link
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2979&PN=1
 there is 11 pages there.
I have permission to move this information to this forum but haven't had the time to do
so as yet
 if there is enough interest Ill get on it soon??
Isaiah

Thanks for the information.  True about the big bang.  Also, I had a single cell in a traction battery group go pow outside.  I hooked positive to negative and negative to positive which created a spark.  Kaboom.  Not fun.  The batteries I posted are in a 16 ft tall 45 by 60 foot building.  Ummm...  The echo would be cool ONCE. 

Anyway, I can see no practical way to keep these batteries dry year around.  At certain times of the year, I expect to see them sweat.  I just check connections more regular and keep them clean with dust wiped off regularly.  We have more dust than rain most times.  Bummer for us for sure. 
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 08:08:48 pm »
Well I know ONE way to make them explode, and I can tell you from first hand it does not feel good to have it happen near you. As I posted here. This one a squirrel had shorted the HV line to the house voltage at the transformer, of course while this battery was on charge.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 07:38:28 am »
   Had one do that on the engine stand, caused of course by my stupidity.  I knew the battery was weak,
but just threw the charger on high, waited a bit, and cranked.  Spark on the charger clamp, and it was all
over. :o
   Did make me glad I always were eye protection in the shop.  Clothes, after a wash were junk.
   All in all, a cheap lesson.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Isaiah

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 09:19:12 am »
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2979&PN=1   
 follow it through
  well Mr Rover it was a old gentleman that still uses the old delco 32 volt battery's that told me when he seen the the accident area what had caused the event!!
 Now we don't use the dozer every year and it was setting  and my son put the battery in  and had to crank on it some   and it tried to start and quit he hit  the key again and boom .The whole case is shattered. the only thing we can figure is that one of the posts must have caused a spark.
My son didnt go by the shed for two years!!
 Most of the battery's in vehicles running up and down the roads have what they sell you as maintenance free battery's and most are not maintained properly and are low on water!
 AofJ where are you going to get water that dose not have enough impurity's in it to conduct?

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 10:22:57 pm »
AofJ where are you going to get water that dose not have enough impurity's in it to conduct?

I used to regularly make water from our reverse-osmosis unit that had so little conductivity, I couldn't measure it. (I know, because I was trying to make an alarm for when a container was full - ended up using an infra-red beam, because we didn't want to contaminate it with a float switch)

I believe a lot of the condensed-steam distilled water is similarly pure.

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »
Tangent-

I believe a lot of the condensed-steam distilled water is similarly pure.

I think it would depend on how the condensed-steam water was condensed and stored.

A guy I corrosponded with for a while was a pro at water impurities.
If the sample had 'unusual test results', his lab would test for a chemical that came out of the sample container.
He said the testing device could almost be calibrated by the junk in the water that came from the sample container.
The sample containers were new plastic bottles (of the same type as pepsi/coke/water bottles).

Glass sounds like the 'purest' condensing and storage to me, as far as DIY goes.
Maybe not.
G-

Offline A of J

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 11:52:13 pm »
 ::) Distilled water such that one may buy has very low conductivity, certainly good enough for topping up lead acid batteries @ 2V/cell, admittedly it would never pass muster as stator cooling water on a large generator running at 16Kv but for our batteries it's as good as you will get.

My original reference was to keeping the tops of batteries clean.

Allan

Offline Isaiah

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 12:06:25 am »

''I believe a lot of the condensed-steam distilled water is similarly pure''.
 The water can only be as pure as the still it comes out of !!!! then when it come in contact with the earth's air
it is deadly contaminated.
At any rate any water that the average person will in counter on top of a flooded lead acid battery will conduct electricity.
 You guy are drifting way off topic.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 12:53:13 am »
You guy are drifting way off topic.

Well, not really. In the interests of "accuracy", the comment that "water conducts electricity" had to be corrected, as Alan said - pure water doesn't. It's the contaminants in it that make the difference. (And not ALL contaminants will make it conduct).

I will concede that the water-looking-stuff on the tops of batteries is likely to conduct enough electricity to be a problem :)

Offline RichHagen

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 09:05:16 am »
Well, distilling water is probably the best way to purify it.  Depending upon what your contaminants are, whether any of them form azeotropes with water, what materials your still is made out of, how many equivalent equilibrium stages, and of course what you are exposing your water to and storing it in will determine how pure you can get it.  Back in the lab in my ChemE days we used glass beads in a couple glass columns for more relatively pure distilled water from a tap water source.  The higher purity stuff was stored in Pyrex branded borosilicate laboratory glassware as well.  Using double distillation you can remove both the less volatile and the more volatile contaminates to leave very pure water.

More to Woof's original question, in an old battery manual it said to wipe the top with a damp cloth, - use one you can toss though would be my advice.  Sulfuric acid used to be called oil of vitriol.  It leaves a greasy/glassy appearing coating on the surface that never seems to evaporate.  A solution of battery acid will conduct, the film on the top of your batteries can contribute to the batteries self discharge and also corrosion of your terminals. Periodically wiping them off helps to minimize this.
A Joule saved is a Joule made

Offline Watt

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 11:21:29 am »
Where  do you find pure water??
 My intent was to prevent some one or something from being hurt.
 So if this should come to pass  its on you.
 Now turn off your computer and take a vom out and  check out your battery tops!!
  I can now see why not very many come to this forum.

Wow Isaiah.  Don't take posts so personal.  No-one was picking.

Offline Watt

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 11:25:01 am »

More to Woof's original question, in an old battery manual it said to wipe the top with a damp cloth, - use one you can toss though would be my advice.  Sulfuric acid used to be called oil of vitriol.  It leaves a greasy/glassy appearing coating on the surface that never seems to evaporate.  A solution of battery acid will conduct, the film on the top of your batteries can contribute to the batteries self discharge and also corrosion of your terminals. Periodically wiping them off helps to minimize this.

Thanks for the info Rich.  Nice to know.

Offline Isaiah

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 07:12:01 pm »
No problem this is my last post here.
wal mart sells a acid detector and cleaner is a spray can dose a good job!
Good by.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 08:52:03 pm »
Guy,  you are strong here. But stop the battery stuff.
Nice to have you here but go more slowly . . .
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects