Author Topic: Battery / Inverter cables  (Read 5272 times)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Battery / Inverter cables
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:12:46 pm »
My main battery to inverter interconnects posed me a problem. I wanted something flexible, but heavy. Battery leads are far too stiff, and nothing else I could find came close. So I had to make my own. Again.

I found some nice superflex welding cable. This stuff has 1200 fine copper strands, so it's really flexible. And as a welding cable, it's double-insulated.

Step 1 was to carefully cut around the outer and inner sheath, without nicking the conductors.

Slide off the outer, without disturbing the strands too much. (A slight twist the right way as it comes off helps)

Solid copper crimplugs designed for this cable will just slide on if you're lucky and didn't distort things too much.

I borrowed this crimping tool, because anything else was going to make  a mess of the job.

I think I overdid it :)

I made 2 sets, as I planned on having two battery banks.

I added heatshrink (red for positive, black for negative, for easy identification and protection)

The nylon glands were easier to put on now. They protect the cables when they go through the inverters metal case.

A set of 4, all done.

Closeup of the ends

These cables are all still in use now, with no sign of any corrosion after 8 years use.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Battery / Inverter cables
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:45 am »
Your welding cable is much nicer than the stuff they sell locally now days.
Back in my teenage years I used to buy welding wire that looked very much like that with double insulation. 
Now it seems its not so readily available any more. This is single insulated, but similar wire count.

Mine made it to 9 years, at 8 years there were no signs of corrosion either.
But something happened over this winter I can't say what it was for sure because it only affected one bank of the 4.
These did not even have heat shrink tubing on them.

---Edit---
I think I have found now this was possibly influenced by water, the shed they were in seems to have a leak right where that set of batteries were.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Re: Battery / Inverter cables
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:45:07 pm »
There is a law in the USA that requires the entertainment industry to use double insulated cables.
The wire is called Entertainment Cable and is also very flexible.
http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/Stagelighting.html
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects