Author Topic: Helios Solar panels  (Read 5266 times)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Helios Solar panels
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:32:58 pm »
I got a phone call from one of the RE outfits here this morning and he said he had a couple "extra" 250 watt solar panels from a job.  He said I could have them for a buck twenty five a watt.  I said, "Well, can't see leaving 'extra' solar panels laying in your shop for a buck twenty five a watt."

So I jumped in the Dodge Cummins, ran to Eau Claire, and picked them up before he decided to change his mind.

Right now I got them on the conventional "ground mount" system, and wired into the combiner until I can get a roof rack built for them.

732-0

Edit:  These panels are made by Helios Solar in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
http://www.heliossolarworks.com/
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Re: Helios Solar panels
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:58:46 pm »
After putting these two extra panels on the Classic today I had to upgrade the breaker and wires from the Classic to the bus from #6 and a 80 amp breaker to #4 and a 100 amp breaker.  At 84 amps that #6 got a little warm.  But the 80 amp breaker held.

It wasn't an excellent solar day because we had high thin clouds.  At full rated capacity the string of panels should put out 92 amps.

I took a photo of the inside of the Classic 150 while I had the cover off.  There's a lot of stuff in there

743-0
--
Chris

Offline ksouers

• Missouri, USA
Re: Helios Solar panels
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:02:32 am »
Nice catch on those panels, Chris. Man, I wish I could run into a deal like that around here.
I have the same panel mount this time of year :)
Which reminds me, it's almost time to move them to the roof.

The more I see of that Classic controller the more I like it. Definitely at the top of my list when I upgrade from my Blue Sky controller.

Kevin
As far from the city as I can get but still keep my job.