Author Topic: Broken panels - I guess these are trash  (Read 11445 times)

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Broken panels - I guess these are trash
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:54:16 pm »
Got some of the panels in today.  The bottom two were broken.  I assume due to the length of the fork and possibly the type of pallet used.  Anyway, I guess I can stick it under some glass and see what happens.  Anyone have any experience with reclaiming a broken panel?

I didn't have much hope for a perfect shipment after seeing this.

CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Broken panels - I guess these are trash
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:06:57 pm »
hi Watt....

i got a broken panel from a friend to try a while back....

alas,  no real output from it ....the voltage was good but no amps (a few milli amps ) ...

hope you have more luck .. :)....shame about the shipping ....

Offline Watt

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:10:59 pm »
hi Watt....

i got a broken panel from a friend to try a while back....

alas,  no real output from it ....the voltage was good but no amps (a few milli amps ) ...

hope you have more luck .. :)

Thanks for the reply, I figured that would be the case.  I asked my son what we would do with them, he said " Heck dad, lets tear them apart and see how they work. "   Gotta love that kids thinking.  ha ha

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:14:33 pm »
any chance of insurance coffing up ...go after the courier ?

if you paid by credit card you have a very good case for refund....

Offline Watt

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:31:45 pm »
any chance of insurance coffing up ...go after the courier ?

if you paid by credit card you have a good case for refund....

I photoed the pallet, the bottom broken panel and received a claim number of sorts from the carrier delivery man.  He called his boss after we unloaded in the back of my truck to let him know we had damage.  They said to check the other panels and call them back with that number he gave me.  We will see, I don't have a lot of faith though.  I bet it will cost me in the long run no matter fault. 

Thanks for the suggestion of the cc company.  I paid by way of bank transfer.  It was a cash price sale on these.

:'(  I had forgot about visa and their member protection.....  Live an learn I guess.

Offline RichHagen

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:04:37 am »
Depending upon where you got them from, you might be in luck.  I've received broken panels before from both Affordable Solar, and from Sunelec.com in Miami - (which the packaging of your panels reminds me of)  In both of those cases they made good on the broken panels that their shippers of choice broke.  I have done business with and would do business with them again in part because of that.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:38:51 pm »
Companies have bean counters.  Right?
Overall, it is often far cheaper to insure all the shipments, than it is to package them correctly.
And vice versa

Given your experience and the other comments, they bet on verse vica.
G-

Offline Watt

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:00:03 pm »
It's been nearly two weeks now with not much progress.  The carrier has said no to helping in anyway.  Guess they blame the packaging?  Anyway, the company I bought the pallet from says they will take care of the two by sending me two panels.  We will see.

Anyway, I have all the panels now ( except those two ) and need to decide where and how to mount them.  I sure like the tracking methods out there. 

Offline Cornelius

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 04:22:46 pm »
Regarding those broken ones....

They're often useful for maintenance charging batteries one just wish to keep topped up... I have one broken 85W panel that gives only 20-25W on good days, and one broken 130W panel that gives 75-90W; it all depends on how the glass fractured... :)
(The 85W panel maintain my start battery for my boat during the winter, and the 130W are still connected in parallel to my main 12V solar system... ;) )

'Every *watt* are sacred' (Monty Python ;D )

Offline Watt

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 04:29:58 pm »
Regarding those broken ones....

They're often useful for maintenance charging batteries one just wish to keep topped up... I have one broken 85W panel that gives only 20-25W on good days, and one broken 130W panel that gives 75-90W; it all depends on how the glass fractured... :)
(The 85W panel maintain my start battery for my boat during the winter, and the 130W are still connected in parallel to my main 12V solar system... ;) )

'Every *watt* are sacred' (Monty Python ;D )

Yes, every watt is sacred for sure.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 04:46:55 pm »
any chance of getting anything apart for salvage? even it it means leaving some of the materiel on each cell?
Might employ Oztules guide if you get something out of them?
Leaving it like it is will really quickly die when moisture gets to them.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Cornelius

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 05:10:36 pm »
My experience are that as long as it's just the glass that are fractured and the cells are still connected; trying to pry the glass fragments off will only ruin the whole panel (whats left of it, that is...)

The cells are usually encased in a form of silicone, and as soon one try to 'dig them out' through the broken glass, they're getting exposed to the enviroment, and in the process, the cells often break...

my 2 cents... :)

Edit;
As long as that silicone layer between the broken glass and the cells are not broken, the cells are ok. That 85W panel i have that only gives 20W have one point where someting really sharp hit and some of one of the cells are exposed; thus the low output. The other panel have an uniform fracture overall, and has much better performance...

Offline Watt

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 06:25:48 pm »
My experience are that as long as it's just the glass that are fractured and the cells are still connected; trying to pry the glass fragments off will only ruin the whole panel (whats left of it, that is...)

The cells are usually encased in a form of silicone, and as soon one try to 'dig them out' through the broken glass, they're getting exposed to the enviroment, and in the process, the cells often break...

my 2 cents... :)

Edit;
As long as that silicone layer between the broken glass and the cells are not broken, the cells are ok. That 85W panel i have that only gives 20W have one point where someting really sharp hit and some of one of the cells are exposed; thus the low output. The other panel have an uniform fracture overall, and has much better performance...

I have not put in the sun and loaded it to see what the output would be.  I think I will do that tomorrow if the sun is out.  Thanks again for your input.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 06:29:39 pm »
if they output anything useful, might it still be worth trying to encapsulate them to keep them from getting worse?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »
Is it just me?

Or should something like that arrive in a condition that was reasonably expected to be suitable to function in the warranted period?

File a claim.
Twice.
Call the credit card company.
Tell paypal.
Tell the freight company.
Tell everybody.
Get the name of WHO you talked to, and the date and time.  And how long the call lasted.
Write down (or record if it is legal in your state <it is here>) everything they said.
Etc.

Yes, I have seen them work in that condition, but the owner broke them himself (NOT covered under the fine print).
G-