Author Topic: Battery Connections  (Read 3506 times)

Offline DaveW

• No Personal Text Set by User
Battery Connections
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:34 pm »

I've recently retired and moved back to the country.  Nice rolling hills, big trees and no shop.  So my first major job is to level off

some of the rolling hill and add a workshop.  This means that my alternate energy equipment is in semi-storage in the barn.

I have the battery banks in one corner, and the control panel upright on a wall close by, with 2x4s holding the panel in place. 

Sort of a hillbilly tech arrangement.  To charge the batteries i use my small wind generator pole strapped to the barn (more highly

technical temporary engineering) and the occasional dose of diesel generator input.  To cycle the batteries I've hooked the barn

lights into the system.  Not a lot of load but it stirs the batteries some and makes me feel like the system is being used.

This morning I noticed that funny hot electrical smell.  Everything was working, but my bat amp gauge needle was quivering, and

the battery voltage was slowly drifting a small amount.  After a quick check and finding nothing, I finally got wise and broke out my

el cheapo Harbor Freight IR temperature sensor.  By scanning the batteries and cables I found one connection that was about 15

degrees hotter than the rest.  After taking apart the connection I  found a darkened arc pattern between the post and the cable

lug.  I spent the rest of the morning cleaning cable connections.

I have now added to my checklist a chart for each cable connection temperature after cleaning.  Just add a good load for 15

minutes, shoot the connection, and jot down the temperature.  Hopefully it will save me grief in the future.

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Re: Battery Connections
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:02 pm »
Hello Dave, glad to see you and thank you for the advice. 
CEO of this Dis-Organization....