Author Topic: Recycling Plastics (not about guns for a change)  (Read 4644 times)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Recycling Plastics (not about guns for a change)
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »
Ok, I lied, it is a bit about accessories for firearms.

I have ordered some Kydex thermoforming sheet to make a holster for an older snubby Cold Agent .38 that I just cannot find a suitable product for.  While researching how they make those plastic Kydex holsters available now days I found many references to other plastics being used for similar purposes. Tool holders, knife sheaths, etc. Apparently many things from milk jugs to yogurt cups are made from thermoformed plastics. Some can be reformed after the first use. The recycling code #6 is mentioned for this use (polystyrene?).

My question is.

Do any of you have any experience with this?

Suggestions for things to retask from the recycling bins?

Tricks and tips on vacuum forming?

I have some 12"X12" .060 Kydex sheets in the pipeline but at $8 a piece I don't really want to learn on those and thought I could test the simple vacuum box on some recycled stuff to see what happens.

Thanks.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline dang

Re: Recycling Plastics (not about guns for a change)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:07:53 pm »
I've got flexible cutting boards made out of high-density polyethylene - melt temp 115-130° that came from IKEA: "DRÄLLA Bendable chopping board" that are two for $3.00; Size 14-1/2" X 8-1/2" X 0.125".

I've seen DIY motorcycle fairings formed from polycarbonate - the even heat soak of the plastic was the hard part, they used glass beads from sand-bead blasting in a shallow box with nichrome safety wire on stand-offs acting as the heater grid. They would let it heat all day, stir & check bead temps and do two or three at quitting time...
"It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others" - Anonymous