Author Topic: Using a 5 cyl Radial to pump water around the farm  (Read 5573 times)

Offline Bryan1

Using a 5 cyl Radial to pump water around the farm
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:26:32 am »
G'day Guy's,
                  Through my search on the net looking for an idea to build an engine from scratch to suit RE I came across the old radial design. So from scrap at previous work places this idea is starting to come into life. Now I'm on making a 5 cyl radial design but it won't be a motor..... Instead I'll hook up 3 off 44 gal drums stacked to provide the power to make this into a wind driven air compressor. Then use some old LPG car gas tanks as receivers so first I can use small bubbles to raise water of that 3" bore above my front dam. Now with the input of rainfall and the bore the front dam will full or close to it so I will port some air to another setup to pump the water via small air bubbles to fill stock water tanks and other watering points.

Using Fruuuuuuuuugle I haven't seen any reports of this being done before so I do feel this project could be the proving ground for using a simple idea and making it useful.

Going thru my old backup cd's I came across my water/air pdf's and I did some calc's and yes this project can work. Depending on the depth the required psi can be worked out and the smaller the bubbles the better. I have a heap of bronze air exhausts here which will fit the bill purfect....

Now as my shed batteries are fully charged this weekend I'll get the crankcase fully roughed out and hopefully get the cylinders cut ready for machining. I do feel there is no use showing pic's untill I get some more work done either.

I do intend to use this diary post as a blog on my progress and if guys want to add content feel free as this is a total RuddyCrazy idea.........

Cheers Bryan ( powered on Pale Ale's)         .

Offline A of J

Re: Using a 5 cyl Radial to pump water around the farm
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:13:00 am »
Bryan are you maybe over thinking the problem, http://www.airwellpumps.com/AboutUs.aspx have been using air operated pumps for some time now, great for low yielding bores. I am probally way off mark here but just a sugestion.

A of J

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:45:33 am »
G'day Guy's,
                       Finally had some time this weekend to get a bit more done on the radial, first I made the external controls for the big lathe which was a heap of fun to get it all working. Anyway after finally working it out I set up the radial block and started roughing out the bore.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

As the block is held by a 60mm bore that I jig bored in the bridgeport so I could mount in the lathe I'm unable to take huge cuts so it is a time consuming task. I got it roughed out to 90mm today and tomorrow night after work get the bore out to 110mm then start on hollowing out the inner to help reduce some weight and give more room for the internals.

I did check on the batteries often as the lathe was under load and all day they didnt go under 25 volts and with a bit of wind around the 1.5kw motor conversion will get the batteries charged for tomorrow nights work.

Cheers Bryan

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:47:22 am »
Awesome Bryan! I will be keeping up with this thread. 8)
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47:17 am »
Me too Byran,
You are using a solid block of aluminum or is it cast
with a rough hole to start with?
Norm.
anyway it does look neat....wish I had even a small
metal lathe :(

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 11:07:31 pm »
So much for jumping to conclusions...sorry about that !
Norm

Offline David HK

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:23:16 am »
Bryan,

This URL links to a very interesting web site and is worth perusing if nothing else.

http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/museum.htm

Boiling petrol for use in an engine is a bit of a novelty!

David in HK