Author Topic: Neat off the wall projects out of "recycled" components.  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Neat off the wall projects out of "recycled" components.
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »
Like a lot here probably do, I have a habit of making things out of components meant for other things.
Tom's scanner posting elsewhere in the forum reminded me of some of those I have done.
One of my favorites are scanner parts. I have used a scanners fluorescent bulb and inverter in  things like closet lights, computer case lighting, keyboard try light. I even used both the bulb and inverter with some tweaking for a significant time as a replacement in a laptop screen.
I wanted to keep it working for a while longer but didn't think it was worth the cost to replace.

I used the rails and steppers, plus the tray actuator motor from an old cd rom (as the cutter) to build a computer controlled pc board drill/circuit cutter ( good for only larger stuff)

I use old printer parts constantly for similar robotics.
I like to buy cheap china made things that you know are junk, but you can use the shell or objects look as a case for projects.
Like toy robots that have no automation.. You can make these actually do things and seem a bit more realistic..
R2D2 toy for a case of a micro pc. ( haven't done that yet.. but planning it)

I've used toasted network switch cases ( I like the metal ones like Netgear have) for project cases.
Wii controllers for the accellerometer data to computer control the active ride control systems for better cornering in a car I have..

I could go on and on.. but I'm looking for neat ideas like this as they have been applied to RE systems ..
I haven't done much of that yet, curious to see whats out there.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Re: Neat off the wall projects out of "recycled" components.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:16:18 pm »
You have hit upon my favorite past-time, scrounging parts from things to make other things. It's hard to keep under control because you can't throw anything away, for as soon as you do you will need it again.

I miss the old days with appliances made from discrete components. You could take something apart and keep almost everything for future use. But these days about all you can salvage is the power cord and the transformer. I took apart a 4 station cordless homephone last month and there was nothing in there that I could use except the WallWart power supply.

Nothing can stop me though, I take apart everything before I throw it away. You guys are going to benefit soon too, because I'm about to give away half of it in the Classifieds . . .

Some pictures of my Shop

----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline Rover

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:41 pm »
Although not recycled...

I miss the days when I could travel around town , go to a "real" electronics store (not RS) ,or salvage shops.. and find what I need or get an idea.

Although I love the Internet, it has pretty much wiped out "specialty" stores in my area. They just can't compete.

So I'm left with RS, Home Depot and other mass market stores. Boy do I throw them into fits... typically when asked what I'm going to use said (electronic piece, plumbing, wire .. yada) for

...at this point I just enjoy watching their faces... and the resounding "Huh ?" that I get confronted with.

Rover
Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline Rover

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 02:28:03 pm »
Adding, as far as recycling stuff... I have my own accumulated junk trove to use....

Amazing my wife doesn't ask (more frequently) why we  have something

Pack Rat... yeah probably.... seems some of us have that disease... GHurd, Dang .. you guys around :)
Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline ksouers

• Missouri, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:46:56 pm »
Rover,
We still have an electronics junk shop around. It's been in business at least since I was a teenager, and I'm on the wrong side of 50. Much of the stuff in there is older than me. Watch some of the old space program footage and look at the equipment in the background and you'll think "Hey! Gateway has one of those!"

Kevin
As far from the city as I can get but still keep my job.

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »
So I'm left with RS...  Boy do I throw them into fits... typically when asked what I'm going to use said (electronic piece, plumbing, wire .. yada) for

...at this point I just enjoy watching their faces... and the resounding "Huh ?" that I get confronted with.

I love it when 'the dude' is tring to impress someone he's trying to sell a cell phone too, he asks if he can help ME, and I ask which drawer the 2N2222s are in. LOL
(I don't use them, its just a part # I recall)

Pack Rat... yeah probably.... seems some of us have that disease... GHurd, Dang .. you guys around :)

Still here.

We still have an electronics junk shop around. It's been in business at least since I was a teenager, and I'm on the wrong side of 50. Much of the stuff in there is older than me. Watch some of the old space program footage and look at the equipment in the background and you'll think "Hey! Gateway has one of those!"

We had a shop like that around here.
$5 for a 2N7000?
$10 for a white LED?
It closed a few year ago.
G-

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 12:37:38 am »
We have had a few shops come and go in this town, none survive long these days.

There is a rat shack in a town west of us that does the standard rat shack toys and cell phones.
 But there guys ARE real electronics hobbiests also..
They have real electronic parts and really know what they are talking about. They use the radio shack franchise to keep the business alive, but they are one of the few left that go out of the franchise to get some *real* hobby stuff.
It's quite a drive to get there or I'd likely be there a lot more than I am.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:03 pm »
Back on topic.

How about a camping lantern?
One of those that takes D size batteries, with the 6V or 12V #1156 size bulbs.
Make (or buy) a decent LED bulb, fit a suitable SLA into the place the D batteries went, make/buy a solar controller that fits in the empty space in the base, add a jack for a solar panel, then plug a solar panel in to charge the SLA.

Except for the bulbs we made, these were basically off the shelf stuff,
http://ghurd.info/leds_lamp.html
http://ghurd.info/leds_lantern.html