Author Topic: Janne's Wind MPPT  (Read 7937 times)

Offline Janne

• Turbiini
    • Projects
Janne's Wind MPPT
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »
(much of this is a repost of the original fieldlines thread, but since the images in there are screwed up I decided to do a repost, and also include the latest comments. Original thread can be found here: http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,130334.18.html)

Generally, I see using an MPPT is the easiest way of doing the most important aspect of a wind power system - load matching. Of course, good results can be also had with other methods of load matching(using capacitors, line resistance etc..), so MPPT is not really necessary, but it's easier and faster than the trial and erroring with other methods. If building multiple of similar machines, then it makes sense to use other methods of matching the load, as MPPT controller adds quite a bit to the cost and is another unreliability factor especially in lightning-prone sites. But for one off MPPT makes sense. Unless one has enough experience and doesn't need much fiddling to match the load without electronic devices :)

The main goal of the project was just in the fun of doing it - tinkering with power electronics. And at that time I saw the MPPT as the "holy grail" of diy electronics. My 3.2m axial turbine was also well suited for MPPT use, as  I had engineered the blades to work at a design TSR of 7 through the whole length of the blade.. Not realizing at the time how badly an engineered blade would perform with direct battery charging. Unlike the popular design with angles and blade widths "off the cuff", the engineered blade will stall through the whole length at once. If you have a blade with improvised dimensions, or even a straight no taper no twist blade, there will be always some portions of the blade providing lift and giving much better overall performance with direct battery charging in mind. Before installing the MPPT, I logged a few weeks worth of power output and wind speed data. The graph I compiled from the data shows the blade performance dropping sharply after the blades hit stall - giving quite poor output in mid-range winds. Due to the low 12V cut-in speed of about 120rpm, the peak efficiency is obtained quite early, and by the mid winds the blades are stalled.

When studying various approaches to the MPPT controller I pretty soon decided to go with the most proven design, using rotor speed to determine the output power. This is not really MPPT in the literal sense, as the controller is not tracking the maximum power point, just meagerly doing what the  rpm-to-outputpower algorithm determines. But with optimized loading curve it should very closely track the peak power, while avoiding all the problems of trying to implement a true MPPT on wind. Due to rotor intertia it would be very hard / impossible to achieve unless one had a very good wind site with very little sudden changes to wind speed.

Since the rotor on my wind turbine was loaded too much, and hence stalling, I needed a device that would allow the generator voltage to rise, in other words step down the voltage from the generator to the batteries. The simplest switched mode device for that would be a standard buck converter, so that's what I decided to use. At this stage I had all the bits together to make a general block diagram of the MPPT converter:

(bigger sized version of the drawing: http://pics.ww.com/v/Janne/Electronics/schets.jpg.html)

The 5-phase output from the generator is first rectified(on the bottom of the tower), and one phase is brought to the conroller for determining the rotor speed from the AC frequency. Using a lookup table(that contains an output power vs. input rpm), the microcontroller generates a reference voltage with an external DAC. This reference voltage is then fed up to the TL494 pwm controller, which compares the reference voltage to the measured value of the controller's current output. The pulse width of the switching transistor is adjusted until the output current matches the desired value.

When I started designing the actual layout of the controller, I decided to split it into two main components, the bussed power stage and a separate controller board. Thinking of it now, it may had been a better idea to just build the power stage into a PCB as well. Using some application notes and information found on this site: http://powerelectronics.com/power_systems/dc_dc_converters/power_buckconverter_design_demystified/ I decided to use 100kHz as the switching frequency, and then based on that calculated the values for the switcher components. Looking back now, it would have been better to use some lower f, maybe 20-30kHz, use bigger components but avoid a lot of problems caused by high frequency.
Ironing out all the problems indeed took a good couple of months, with leisure pace. I had the usual problems of blowing MOSFETs, and the isolating transformer wasn't also as easy to implement as it had sounded. Other bits of the controlling board were quite easy, I had previous experience with picaxe so I used that for the controller.

Testing the controller on a resistive load yielded a minimum efficiency of .8 up to output currents of 50A, and above .85 on output currents less than 35A. That seemed quite acceptable, considering the expected increase in rotor efficiency.

With the hardware problems sorted, I focused on the firmware. It is really quite simple, all the controller does is monitor the rotor speed, and use the programmed lookup-table to determine the desired output current. Rotor speed is derived by measuring the time between AC zero crossings. As a starting point for the lookup table, I just generated it based on the ideal power curve function.

I installed the controller to a steel enclosure. One reason for this was the electrical noise, the power stage was generating some amounts of RF noise. Wonder how that happened with such professional layout design?. With the steel case the problem was localized. The commissioning brought some additional problems still, more blown switching transistors for starters. But after the initial problems and fine adjusting the load curve I was actually quite happy with the thing. I managed to log a few days worth of data from the turbine after the installation(before the anemometer crapped), not enough to make decisive judgement, but it definitely showed improvement in mid-wind performance. Maybe next summer if I get around putting the anemometer & logger back to service I'll be able to get more real world data.

In the end i think it was a success. After installation a year + bit ago it has been working flawlessly. If I would now start from scratch again, I would do quite a bit of things differently, but the overall idea would be the same. It really came into value a few months ago, when after damaging 1 blade I had to cut down the blades, decreasing the swept area into 2/3 of what it used to be. Without the MPPT box and the shortened blades the load matching directly into battery would have been dysmal. Now, with a new load table, it has allowed extraction the maximum of what's available of that smaller rotor, until I get around of making a new set of blades. And then it will be again just a matter of loading a new load table.

And it sure provided much fun at tinkering with power electronics :).
Beyond the wolf border

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: Janne's Wind MPPT
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:43:19 pm »
Very nicely done Janne.... it happens I posted the opposite technique  (boost) today as well... also using the trusty tl494.

You were brave diving in at 100khz... and succeeding. I have never been keen to go over about 30khz.

At least you know whats in the box .... so the level of complexity has not changed for you... just more fun.

Very satisfying  I'll bet.

.................oztules.

Edit:
I like transformer isolation, but have only used it on off line power supplies.... not as simple as we are led to believe at your frequencies. Overdrive and clip I say.
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Burnit0017

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:26:46 am »
Hi, super project. Very well done. Does your system use a floating power supply for the gate driver? If so, how is it configured?

Offline Janne

• Turbiini
    • Projects
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:50:41 am »

Very satisfying  I'll bet.

I like transformer isolation, but have only used it on off line power supplies.... not as simple as we are led to believe at your frequencies. Overdrive and clip I say.

Yeah, I was pretty happy after It all started working =)

Overdriving & clipping indeed was the ticket for clean gate waveforms with the transformer.. I had placed 15V zeners to protect the FET gates from nasty short circuit events, and by accident I noticed the waveform get much better after increasing the supply voltage.. After that the problem was solved by adding another turn to the trafo's secondary, and just letting the zeners limit the gate voltage to 15V.
Beyond the wolf border

Offline Janne

• Turbiini
    • Projects
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:26:40 am »

Hi, super project. Very well done. Does your system use a floating power supply for the gate driver? If so, how is it configured?

Hi,

No it uses a signal transformer for isolating the FET gate. The drawing shows how it's configured.. More good information on this site: http://omapalvelin.homedns.org/tesla/SSTC/general-sstc-notes-gatedrv.htm

If you want to use a separate floating power supply for driving the FET gate, I suggest you take a look on how the electric car guys have done it.. They seem to use an isolated DC / DC converter module (for generating the floating supply) and then use a nifty gate driver HCPL 4506 on the FET's side.. It's a nice FET driver that includes an optocoupler for inputting the PWM signal to the high side. Schematic: https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/1stkveleELMIC8

I'll also attach the complete controller board schematic for anyone interested to study.

Beyond the wolf border

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:49:43 am »
Thats not fair.... I build a little boost, and can't even keep the scraps of paper with scribble on it
, and you have 6 beautiful pages.....

I need to change my ways i think.

cool Janne 8)

..........messy oztules

Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Burnit0017

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:30:04 pm »
Hi, can you provide information on how the control circuits are being powered?

I am working on a bucker converter and I am searching for a circuit that will provide Vcc for the control IC’s.

Did you use the battery bank or do you have a method that uses the voltage from the PMA?     

Offline Janne

• Turbiini
    • Projects
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:08:30 am »
Hi,

The .pdf I attached a couple of posts up shows all the details.. But basically the controller is powered from the 12V battery. 12VCC for gate drivers & TL494 is provided with a PNP transistor, so the power to those IC's can be cut when there is no wind, to cut back on quiescent current draw. Microcontroller, power led and the other 5V bits draw about 5mA when monitoring the turbine AC voltage for speed, so the constant current draw from those is not a problem.  5V for the microcontroller, dac and other signal components is made with a 7805 regulator.
Beyond the wolf border