Author Topic: Laminates  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Laminates
« on: February 12, 2012, 04:26:36 pm »
Ok excuse my ignorance. but can anyone tell me what is needed to go from laminates like
these

To a mount able unit? or are they ready (minus the junction boxes) as is?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline halfcrazy

• Central Maine
Re: Laminates
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:36:29 pm »
They are minus the Junction box and minus any aluminum frame. I think the newer ones are unfinished ones and they where not terribly molested the early ones he had the Jboxes where ripped off and this required a little more repair as you put a new Jbox on. John used to have a video showing the finishing of these. I will look for the video and post a link if I can find it.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 04:42:45 pm »
The page linked has another link that looks like this
Click here to learn:
How to make a solar panel out of a laminate.

It has a video on how to do it . . .

----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:24:05 pm »
All I can get out of it is a video adding the boxes, guess somehow I am missing something.

Seems if I can work out a way to not spend more in shipping than panels I will be ordering soon.

Offline halfcrazy

• Central Maine
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:31:59 pm »
Wolvenar
You will also need to find a way to mount them. I do not think this would be to hard but with John having complete panels for a buck a watt not sure if there is really any savings?

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:49 pm »
I called a week ago and I was told they are out even though their website doesn't say so.

If you buy the plastic electrical boxes at the major retail chain stores, you can put them together for less than $1 per watt. I still can't find the alum trim reasonable price. If you find some, let us know.

I'd like to buy 20 laminates myself.

BTW, I called the first time, I was told they would check stock and call back within 20 minutes. One hour passed and I called back.  They repeated the 20 minute call back thing and I called back in one hour. After 4 repeats, the guy took my email down and said he'd email by the end of the day. No response. Maybe I should have said 200 laminates. :)

If you get better response, PM me with their name please.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:29:04 pm »
I happen to have a limited source of aluminum that would work perfectly for this, ( nearly free)
 I will be calling in the morning to get more information so I'll keep you all posted.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 02:01:33 pm »
Umm Yeah..

"We don't have any laminate panels left, they all sold out this morning"

Given the responses to others here and other places, I would guess their site's prices are nothing but a way to get people to come and look.. Then try to sell other products

Offline halfcrazy

• Central Maine
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:13:33 pm »
Yeah They can be a little testy to work with but when they have the good deals they are usually real good deals.

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 08:16:50 pm »
i've purchased laminates from them.  they were sold out for a long time, and i checked their site daily until they had them re-stocked, then i ordered that day (via tele) and it went smooth.

i think they move soo much product through multiple warehouses, that it's near impossible for them to keep their site perfectly up to date. 

adam

Offline RichHagen

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:57 pm »
I have bought a few orders of panels from them.  They are often a challenge to purchase from.  The most recent order was 4300 Watts of finished panels at $.78US per Watt from that recent clearance sale they had.  I think the good deals go fast, and you have to catch them early.  Once you get through and get the order worked out, my experience is that it goes smoothly from there.  I am guessing he keeps his costs dirt cheap but sacrifices customer service in the process.  It must work for him as he has been doing it for quite a while, and he move tons of panels.  I have rarely had to work so hard to make purchases from a vendor though.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made

Offline Freejuice

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 04:10:35 am »
Hi Wolv,
 I was fortunate I had a very plesant experience with Sun, I grabbed that evergreen deal @ 78 cents a watt, everything went smoothly, they actually called me back 4 times one day when I was trying to order the panels.... they later kept me updated and even called me out of the blue as to the freight carrier it would be shipped with....with the fancy pallet and the way everything was so secured for shipping it weighed in at nearly 1000 lbs.
The shipping was just about 230.00 dollars from Miami to the upstate of SC.

It appears its a gamble on customer service with Sun, From my perspective I will give them an out...I was lucky and they do indeed move the product

I also looked at the laminates and after I found some "good deals" for junction boxes on ebay  and then adding some alminum for the frames I was better off just to buy the panels outright....heck I guess your mileage may vary, if you catch those laminates at cut-rate deals,  and can scrounge up the aluminum you might can flip it around to a cheaper route if you add in your free DIY time.
 Let me know if it works out for you, after I did the math for the pricing at the time it was a break-even adventure.
 all the best,
 Gavin

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 06:27:13 am »
Ahh, the shipping. I have two options. One to ship it here where I live ( central Mn).. $400 minimum and up. Or I could shipped to northern Georgia ~$350 minimum.
If that latter it would be shipped to a friend that lives there in the winter and back here during the summer. It's getting close to time he would be coming back, and he has the ability to bring them with.
But the cost difference may not be worth it.

I am currently looking local, but everything made and or sold here is through electricians, and installers.

NONE of them want to sell panels without installing them is my bet. I will learn more when things open today I hope.