Author Topic: Induction Cooktop  (Read 15280 times)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Induction Cooktop
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:18:24 pm »
We got a new Electrolux induction range from Sweden.  My wife bought it when we were in Sweden for Christmas but it just got here this last Monday.  It cost us a little over $4,000 for it by the time we got it to the US, but my wife absolutely loves it.

Compared to gas cooking, which is only about 40% efficient (and my wife refuses to have a gas appliance in the house anyway), the induction cooking is about 90% energy efficient.  It uses just a little over 1/2 the power to cook the same thing that our old electric range with conventional surface units used to use.

I haven't even figured out how to run the thing yet.  Only my wife knows how to program it to cook food.  The control panel on it disappears until you put your hand by it and then it lights up and looks like the helm on the Starship Enterprise.  The way I understand it, it's kinda' like layin' in a course for the Delta Quadrant to cook eggs on it.  My wife's hand moves swiftly over the controls and she's pushing all these "buttons" that aren't even buttons, then she throws a pan on it and it works!

It doesn't matter what size pan or pot you put on it because it's got some sort of deal in it that adjusts the magnetic field to the exact size of the pan to save on power.  And when you take the pan off the "burner" it shuts off.

Maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to run it.  First I'm going to go out to the shop and build me a cast iron java cup.  If I had a cast iron cup that thing will heat up a cup of java faster than the microwave.
--
Chris

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: Induction Cooktop
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:08:11 am »
Well there you go... eddy currents have their uses too ;D

..............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 07:22:17 am »
You can get those in America too
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:37:48 am »
You can get those in America too

Not when you're married to a Swedish woman, you can't.   :)
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:46 am »
Well there you go... eddy currents have their uses too ;D

Oz - that just gave me an idea.  When I build my new cast iron java cup I'm going to write "Eddy" on the outside of it with the welder    ;D
--
Chris

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 01:02:51 pm »
   Not a lot of us married to Swedish women Chris, but I bet most of us fully understand it. ;D
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline bvan1941

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 02:27:41 pm »
YOU BETCHA !!

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 06:02:51 pm »
Here's how it works being married to a Scandinavian babe.  They're raised from birth to be independent as hell.

She is anything BUT helpless.  She'll change oil in her truck herself.  She'll change her own flat tire.  She doesn't expect that I should have to help, or even offer to help.  If I do help her she appreciates it.

If I'm doing something and need some help with it, she's right there and digs right in and helps.  Don't have to ask.

She considers herself your equal in EVERYTHING.  Don't tell her she can't get a wheel bolt on a semi loose, that's torqued to 600 lb-ft.  She'll go find a cheater bar that's big enough and she'll get it loose just to show you she can do it.  Don't tell her she can't shoot a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag and be accurate with it.  That'll just make her want one of her own - and she'll go buy it and practice until she can peel the hair off the balls on a flea at 50 yards with it.  Don't ever go to a gun show where she might see a Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe chambered for 12 gauge and tell her, "Oh, you should get a 20 gauge because it's easier to shoot than a 12."  You can rest assured when she hears that, that she's coming home with it and she'll practice with it until she can rival Tom Knapp.  After you get used to that, after 31 years you can get along pretty good.

When she gets mad at me she switches to some sort of gibberish and calls me a bunch of stuff that I'm pretty sure is not good.  After 31 years I never did really get a handle on her native language that has weird dots above some of the letters.

Oh, and she LOVES to go fishing.  I NEVER go fishin' without her because that would be worse than forgetting your anniversary  :)
--
Chris

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »
because that would be worse than forgetting your anniversary  :)

We've just had our 29th wedding anniversary, so got a couple to catch up to you yet .... but we've never missed one.  Mind you, picking new-years-eve (Dec-31) probably helped :)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 06:41:36 pm »
Damn, I suppose there is a down side to that.. but... I guess you didn't point it out.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 06:47:09 pm »
We are just approaching our 13'th anniversary on Feb 14th. Maybe I could get away with saying "Hey dear, the official 13 year anniversary gift is solar panels?"

Wonder if that would work?? hmm..

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 06:49:14 pm »
Maybe I could get away with saying "Hey dear, the official 13 year anniversary gift is solar panels?"

Let us know how you get on with that....  ;)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »
We are just approaching our 13'th anniversary on Feb 14th. Maybe I could get away with saying "Hey dear, the official 13 year anniversary gift is solar panels?"

LOL!  I'm with Ross on this one - let me know how that works out    :)
--
Chris

Offline halfcrazy

• Central Maine
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 06:59:40 pm »
Maybe I could get away with saying "Hey dear, the official 13 year anniversary gift is solar panels?"

Let us know how you get on with that....  ;)

Yep tomorrow is 18 years for us and I know better than to try Solar panels. A Colt 1991 may fly though  :D

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 07:00:36 pm »
"Hey dear, where you aware that the official 13 year anniversary gift is solar panels?"

her response..
"Yeah somehow I don't think I should believe that. "

I say
It is I swear it!!

And then ..
You know I can just go to Google and look up what it really is, then you better hope its not something else really expensive  or you will never get those panels huh??"

Damn guess that's what I get for having a bright internet savvy chick..

Ah well.